Videos on 7.62 NATO versus .308WIN + .223REM versus 5.56 NATO?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

Does anyone know of a highly detailed, in-depth video that deals with the "differences" between 7.62x51 versus .308 Winchester and also .223 Remington versus 5.56x45? Like if someone asks "can I shoot .308 in my 7.62?", I want a video I can quickly link to. I know most quality YouTubers have mentioned the similarities, but usually during videos about something else.

You best bet is just watch as many of the videos out there and eventually you will weed through the BS and figure it out.

Most of the issuex stem from the days when factory 223 rem was a varmint rifle and 30-50 grain bullets out of 1/12 and even 1/14 twist barrels where the norm. Back then the leads/throats where not cut very long. Now comes along 5.56 Nato with a longer bullet that the normal 223 offerings at the time. Then 5.56 Nato surplus come along. People load this stuff into their "short" chamber bolt actions and that new longer 62gn NATO or Ss109 bullet can actually jam into the lands/groves creating a dangerous high pressure possbility.
i thing this video is ok

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCS4fXFmCyA

You best bet is just watch as many of the videos out there and eventually you will weed through the BS and figure it out.

I generally "get it", but I'm looking for a video that cuts through the BS for people who don't know. I can't really advise someone to just Google it if they're looking for a straight answer.

Simple explanation - The 7.62 chamber has a more generous headspace than a 308 and 7.62 brass is thicker in that area to prevent it from splitting when fired. 308 brass typically isn't reinforced and thus shouldn't be shot in a 7.62 chamber. 308 is also a generally higher pressure round so thinner brass + higher pressure + longer 7.62 headspace could be bad news.

I generally "get it", but I'm looking for a video that cuts through the BS for people who don't know. I can't really advise someone to just Google it if they're looking for a straight answer.
Aside from any semi auto gas system requirements the big issue is case capacity.
NATO tends to have less cpacity. So if your loading your favorite load in Winchester brass and pushing the upper limits then use that same load in 308NATO with less capacity you can/will have preasure changes, depending on powder and bullet can be very dangerous in any gun.
Now the 308/762 testing methods much like 223/556 differ so you get some different "presure" results.
No if you do have a 7.62 NATO chamber or a military rifle cut with some extra wiggle room you may find your self with split cases and case head separation. using 308 WIN in a NATO chamber
50+ years later how much does this apply ?
i recently meassured several 7.62NATO and Commercial 308 case capacity i had on hand. I did not have any more deviation in H2O capacity from manufacture than I did from case to case from the same manufacture.

again YOU watch as many videos as needed until YOU find the one that is technically detailed enough that you feel you can recommend others to watch.
Other times its just easy for some to just use what the firearm manufactures recommend in thier rifles.

not a video but a bit of good info.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom