VPC's latest "study"

I have not read it because the VPC holds zero credibility with me. We already know they have no issues fabricating "data" to support their agenda, but i'm sure people will enjoy ripping this "study" which is not worth the paper it was printed on....

31 Incidents Result in Criminal Charges or Suicide of Concealed Handgun Permit Holder

WASHINGTON, July 20 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Concealed handgun permit holders killed at least seven police officers and 44 private citizens in 31 incidents during the period May 2007 through April 2009 according to a new study http://www.vpc.org/studies/ccw2009.pdf[/URL]) released today by the Violence Policy Center (VPC). The release of the study comes as the U.S. Senate is expected to take up today -- Monday, July 20 -- an amendment to the defense authorization bill (S. 1390) that would create a de facto national concealed carry system, overriding the rights of states with more restrictive laws governing the carrying of concealed handguns. The amendment is sponsored by Senator John Thune (R-SD). Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) has said he will filibuster the amendment.
Because most state systems allowing the carrying of concealed handguns in public by private citizens release little data about crimes committed by permit holders, the VPC reviewed shooting incidents as reported by news outlets. It is likely that the actual number of fatal criminal incidents involving concealed handgun permit holders is far higher.

The study, "Law Enforcement and Private Citizens Killed by Concealed Handgun Permit Holders -- An Analysis of News Reports, May 2007 to April 2009," finds that during the two-year period reviewed --

* Concealed handgun permit holders have slain seven law enforcement officers resulting in criminal charges or the suicide of the shooter. All of the killings were committed with guns. An additional three law enforcement officers were injured in these incidents.
* Concealed handgun permit holders have slain at least 44 private citizens resulting in criminal charges or the suicide of the shooter. All but one of the killings were committed with guns. An additional six private citizens were injured in these incidents.
* In six of the 31 incidents (19 percent), the concealed handgun permit holder killed himself, bringing the total fatality count to 57.

VPC Legislative Director Kristen Rand states, "State concealed handgun systems are arming cop-killers and other murderers. It is beyond irrational for Congress to vote to expand the reach of these deadly laws."
The study offers detailed descriptions of the 31 incidents, which occurred in 15 states. Law enforcement officers were killed in: Florida, Idaho, Ohio (two incidents), and Pennsylvania (two incidents). Private citizens were killed in: Alabama, Colorado, Florida (nine incidents), Idaho, Kentucky, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina (two incidents), Ohio (three incidents), Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah (two incidents), and Virginia.
The Violence Policy Center (www.vpc.org) is a national educational organization working to stop gun death and injury.
here is the study

http://www.vpc.org/studies/ccw2009.pdf

Concealed handgun permit holders have slain at least 44 private citizens resulting in criminal charges or the suicide of the shooter. All but one of the killings were committed with guns.

so if you have a license but beat someone to death with a brick, you're a statistic for these idiots to use in gun crime stats ?

I have not read it because the VPC holds zero credibility with me.
"Studies" by advocacy groups are useless. Care to guess how many people who do not already have a side on the issue were swayed by the GOAL "investigation" of regulatory fraud?

It's much more honest for advocacy groups on either side to present position papers as such, not masquerading as "studies" and "investigations".

so if you have a license but beat someone to death with a brick, you're a statistic for these idiots to use in gun crime stats ?

Yes because if you have a gun permit and push someone out of a window the obvious conclusion is that no one else should have guns cause they make you push people out of windows. You just don't understand circular logic.

Yes because if you have a gun permit and push someone out of a window the obvious conclusion is that no one else should have guns cause they make you push people out of windows.
I did a study and determined that 99.99% of LTC holders are law abiding citizens...

As a result I concluded that since LTC holders have a lower likelyhood of committing violent crime than the population at large, all non-LTC holders should be arrested immediately to prevent crime... [laugh]

I did a study and determined that 99.99% of LTC holders are law abiding citizens...

As a result I concluded that since LTC holders have a lower likelyhood of committing violent crime than the population at large, all non-LTC holders should be arrested immediately to prevent crime... [laugh]

I take your numbers and argue that you prove only that permit holders are better than the general public at getting away with their crimes and must be treated with more far suspicion. Cause we all know that people with guns are far more likely to commit crimes than people without guns. Like global warming, err I mean climate change, it's just common knowledge and a consensus that no one can dispute.

I take your numbers and argue that you prove only that permit holders are better than the general public at getting away with their crimes and must be treated with more far suspicion. Cause we all know that people with guns are far more likely to commit crimes than people without guns. Like global warming, err I mean climate change, it's just common knowledge and a consensus that no one can dispute.
This is a political debate, so my obvious next response is that you are a war mongering baby killer... [laugh]

<sarcasm>I just did my own study, I googled "beating deaths" and 5 of the first 10 hits were people in the past 2 years that were beaten to death. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that hands and feet are highly lethal we should immediately begin removing these dangerous weapons from society.</sarcasm>

This is a political debate, so my obvious next response is that you are a war mongering baby killer... [laugh]

Since I am arguing the ultra liberal side your claim of me being a war-monger is moot. However I will try to appear as a tough guy in my Peta t-shirt and Birkenstocks by claiming that next year I will join the crew of the Steve Irwin and throw bottles of stinky stuff to harrass unarmed whalers. Just think of all the hairy legged earth mamas that will get me.

<sarcasm>I just did my own study, I googled "beating deaths" and 5 of the first 10 hits were people in the past 2 years that were beaten to death. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that hands and feet are highly lethal we should immediately begin removing these dangerous weapons from society.</sarcasm>
I just googled "beating deaths with guns" and 6 out of the first 10 hits were people in the past two years that were beaten to death with guns present. So clearly the guns are the problem. And since the vast majority of guns are owned by permit holders I can assume that most if not all of the beatings were committed by gun permit holders.

My ultra-left-wing "logic" cannot be toppled by the likes of you. You don't agree with me and are therefore inherently intellectually inferior to myself and those that blindly agree with me. I shouldn't even be wasting my time with cro-magnon, knuckle dragging, mouth breathers like you! You just can't stand that there's a black man in the White House you racists. And if you happen to be black than that just means you are and Uncle Tom that doesn't know what's good for you. [smile]

Did I hit all their debate stoppers or did I leave any out? It's scary how many debates I have had with left wingers that ended this way.

How many peoples lives were saved by not even firing a shot by legal CCW holders. The FBI estimates that hundreds of thousands of lives are saved by legal gun owners.

Yup. Not only that, but they also include if you, the gun owner, have your home broken in to by an unarmed bad guy, that also counts in the gun stats for them.

Doesn't that make you feel better now?

[puke2]

Back
Top Bottom