Mass. out-migration study. Everyone is leaving!

Nah, just stay right where you are.......MA needs your tax money to support all the migrants they're importing. [laugh]

You'll soon find yourself and your family to be just as isolated, only you'll be forcibly paying the freight for yourself and all the free loaders.
Moving isn't easy if you have family, friends, and a career. If you don't, sure it's easy.
I was able to move out of MA eventually, and there are many good things that came from that. But there are still things that were/are not good. The extra distance to my kids isn't helpful, and most of the people I knew were locals, so it strains friendships, and a big one now is that the quality of healthcare in MA is worlds better. After being f'd over by NH doctors, except for some routine (as in many times a week) stuff, I drive to MA.

Moving isn't easy if you have family, friends, and a career. If you don't, sure it's easy.
I was able to move out of MA eventually, and there are many good things that came from that. But there are still things that were/are not good. The extra distance to my kids isn't helpful, and most of the people I knew were locals, so it strains friendships, and a big one now is that the quality of healthcare in MA is worlds better. After being f'd over by NH doctors, except for some routine (as in many times a week) stuff, I drive to MA.
I've heard it all before.....a thousand times. ✋ Talk to the hand.

Next you'll tell me that the fees, fines and confiscatory taxes that people pay in MA are perfectly justified because the quality of life is so much better.[puke]
The traffic jams are just wonderfully enjoyable, the ambient background noise is just swell, the lines in any place you eat are absolutely fine, the roads are impeccable, the insurance rates are the best, the drug problem doesn't exist, the schools turn out high numbers of Mensa members, your hospital ERs are mostly vacant when you arrive with an emergency, your license plates and excise taxes are the cheapest in the nation.

Again.....Talk To The Hand......because the head isn't listening. I've been there, done that and can tell you unequivocally there are thousands of better places to live in this country. You just have to have the gumption to get up and go.

EDIT: And I didn't even cover the gun laws or the terminal leftist political corruption. 🤔 ;)

Last edited:
It's about to get better, too: Now Maura wants another bite of the apple when you sell and leave.

From Massfiscal.org

Governor Maura Healey recently filed a five-year, $4.1 billion bond bill called the Affordable Homes Act. Tucked away in this bill is a major policy change that would establish a local option “real estate transfer fee” (tax) of between .5% to 2%, on the portion of the sale over $1 million or the county median home sales price (whichever is greater.) In other words, they are looking for more ways to nickel and dime you because they can’t seem to spend within the means of current tax collections.

They say the money would then go to support affordable housing, but with administrative overhead growing by the day and costly regulations and labor policies, it’s doubtful we will see any noticeable benefit. There’s also no language in the bill that would call for the funds to be spent on NEW housing.

TAKE ACTION - TELL MAURA HEALEY “NO” TO NEW TAXES ON HOME SALES: Oppose a New Tax on Real Estate Sales

If you’re thinking that this tax would never affect you because your home value doesn’t meet the threshold, just look at how much property values have appreciated over the last ten years!

How long do you think it will take for you to fall under the new tax scheme?

It’s predicted that this new tax might be passed onto the buyer, driving prices up even more for single family homes, renters, and commercial properties alike. Since the real estate market tends to fluctuate with economic downturns, it will also be creating an unstable source of revenue they are looking to rely on, which we can assume means they will lower the price threshold for the tax in the future.

We all want an affordable Massachusetts, but putting a new tax on real estate sales won’t get us there and will actually exacerbate the problem. Studies have shown that when a real estate transfer tax is implemented, the number of transactions goes down.
This bill is queued up to be voted on in the legislature and they need to hear from you. Please Contact your legislators to tell them not to raise taxes on some home sales: Oppose a New Tax on Real Estate Sales

-MassFiscal Team

An additional Tax called "affordable" housing. Sound a lot like the inflation "reduction" act.

Next you'll tell me that the fees, fines and confiscatory taxes that people pay in MA are perfectly justified because the quality of life is so much better.[puke]
The traffic jams are just wonderfully enjoyable, the ambient background noise is just swell, the lines in any place you eat are absolutely fine, the roads are impeccable, the insurance rates are the best, the drug problem doesn't exist, the schools turn out high numbers of Mensa members, your hospital ERs are mostly vacant when you arrive with an emergency, your license plates and excise taxes are the cheapest in the nation.

Again.....Talk To The Hand......because the head isn't listening. I've been there, done that and can tell you unequivocally there are thousands of better places to live in this country. You just have to have the gumption to get up and go.

EDIT: And I didn't even cover the gun laws or the terminal leftist political corruption. 🤔 ;)
Wow, seriously dude? I didn't mention any of this, nor did I say there weren't reasons to leave. Obviously there are, after all I left. I'm just not stupid or blind and can see that there are, in fact, other influencing factors. And these do make major life changes difficult.

As for medical care and ERs. I am now living with the incompetency of the NH medical providers, I will have to for the rest of my life. If I hadn't ignored their determination that everything was ok with the surgery, and not gone to Lahey in MA, I'd be dead. So ya, that could be a petty major reason for an older person to not move out.
As for ERs last time I was in one was 2009, and given what was wrong I'm sure I would be dead if it had been in NH, fortunately I wasn't and I walked out 8 hours later.

Easy to say good medical care isn't important when you don't need it, but that need will come, sooner or later, and maybe soon and unexpected, you could be in a car crash tonight. When this happens, good medical care will be important, but your choices would have already been made..... hopefully you made the right one.

None of what you are complaining about is anything that he said nor does it contradict anything he said. What you said is true and what he said is also true.

Yes, MA sucks in many ways. Traffic is terrible, roads are terrible, insurance is high, we have a significant drug problem (as does NH, by the way), many of the schools are bad, the ERs are packed, and the taxes are high.

But that doesn't change the fact that if you have family, friends, and a career in MA in can be hard to leave. Nor does it change the fact that outside of Dartmouth-Hitchcock, the NH hospitals are crap.

As for medical care and ERs. I am now living with the incompetency of the NH medical providers, I will have to for the rest of my life. If I hadn't ignored their determination that everything was ok with the surgery, and not gone to Lahey in MA, I'd be dead. So ya, that could be a petty major reason for an older person to not move out.
As for ERs last time I was in one was 2009, and given what was wrong I'm sure I would be dead if it had been in NH, fortunately I wasn't and I walked out 8 hours later.

Easy to say good medical care isn't important when you don't need it, but that need will come, sooner or later, and maybe soon and unexpected, you could be in a car crash tonight. When this happens, good medical care will be important, but your choices would have already been made..... hopefully you made the right one.
I had a major health issue starting in 2022. I'm better now, but it was a six month long ordeal that involved 2 surgeries, 6 weeks in the hospital, 2 stays in ICU, 6 endoscopic procedures, about a dozen anaesthesia events, etc. I'm thankful that I was near good healthcare. As a result, my priorities have changed to include being a reasonable distance from a good hospital. I can understand how that might not be a concern for someone a lot younger than me.

I had a major health issue starting in 2022. I'm better now, but it was a six month long ordeal that involved 2 surgeries, 6 weeks in the hospital, 2 stays in ICU, 6 endoscopic procedures, about a dozen anaesthesia events, etc. I'm thankful that I was near good healthcare. As a result, my priorities have changed to include being a reasonable distance from a good hospital. I can understand how that might not be a concern for someone a lot younger than me.
That's some serious shit, glad your doing better. I didn't think my issue was going to be affected by the local NH healthcare. I maybe in the minority as far as what is wrong, but the treatment for it is well known. It should have need one operation, short term of treatment to better stabilize, then one more operation, and then a near normal life. Now I'm 8 operation in, with 3 or so years of much more involved treatment, just because that's the way they do it. Ya, literal, I've got a cure waiting for me but they won't move forward until I get worse, and I will get worse, there is zero chance of getting better short of that operation.

Sorry about the rant, it's late and I'm feeling a little bitter about the situation... I'll get back on topic.

Back
Top Bottom