• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wal-Mart / Dick's Ammo: Junk?

Reptile

NES Member
In regards to Winchester White Box...

Is the ammo sold at these big box stores the same quality as what can be bought at our favorite gun shops?

I want to stock up in bulk, but not buy inferior product.

I "heard"... "at the gun shop" [rolleyes] that the big stores put in massive orders and the quality is not the same as other distributers. Was I dished a line of bull, or are these stores selling lower quality a.k.a. Wal-Mart Wranglers and "Signature Levis".

WWB has always gone "BANG" for me, for many years.

It's decent, value priced practice ammunition. It's not what I carry most of the time, but it could do the job there too.

Some people think it's a mite dirty.

WWB has always gone "BANG" for me, for many years.

It's decent, value priced practice ammunition. It's not what I carry most of the time, but it could do the job there too.

Some people think it's a mite dirty.

I don't carry it either. I carry Federal HST. I shoot a lot of target though. What ammo should I shoot with that is "clean"? People seem so like WWB, so that is why I buy it.

I've also heard it's not the same but I don't think I believe it.

To me, the question isn't whether or not the Walmart ammo is the same but does it serve it's intended purpose? And for me, the answer is yes, so I buy it.

I haven't been shooting that long, but I've bought at least a thousand rounds of WWB from Walmart and every single one has gone bang. I have had one case with the rim incorrectly machined that would not load. No other defects.

Regardless of which place I bought it, I wouldn't consider it to be any more than good, cheap, practice ammo. Even from a gun shop, WWB is still not match ammo, nor is it defense ammo, in my book.

I have been told the same thing several times but after a couple of thousand rounds have found absolutely no difference. That doesn't mean what the gun shop owners say isn't true but myself and my guns can't tell the difference.

I think it's all the same, BUT that said there are gun manufacturer's that suggest that you do not use it in their guns ex: Cohaire arms includes a disclaimer that using Rem UMC or Win white box ammo voids the warranty.

That said, there are other brands that are better and others not so much, like factory loaded Federal or Winchester match grade rifle ammo seems to be some of the best out there. Price point ammo such as Wolf gets the job done but that's where only the guys who go for sub MOA see the difference.

I always look for price like everybody else, I like to purchase the best I can afford at the time, if that means Win white box then so be it! Hey, it's still made by Winchester, right?

good ammo

lets stop and think about this for a moment. Do you really think winchester
is gonna make a special ammo for wal-mart and or dick's.

It all comes off the same line.

Who ever said it was different is trying to convince you to buy it
from them of course at a higher price.

JimB

I have poured thousands of rounds of Winchester White Box through every gun I own without issue. I will not however, put a single round of Remington UMC in my IMI Uzi... I have heard to many horror stories, (FTF, FTE, squibs, dirty as hell). I am undecided about buying their 5.56/.223 - seems expensive for low end ammo....

you really think Winchester manufactures different ammo for wal-mart than it does for small guns shops? The big box stores might order more of the ammo, but it's the same exact ammo...

I hope it's the same,,, i like going to Walmart for Ammo, and most everything else...
Plus, you don't get a old greeter, at the Gun shop..... :)

My M&P9 did not like Remington UMC but I've used plenty of UMC, WWB and other cheap ammo in my P229 and S&W1911 with no problems.

I have not used the stuff they sell at WallyWorld (I try not to shop there) Is it the Winchester that's made in the Czech Republic? Probably is if it's inexpensive.

I have not used the stuff they sell at WallyWorld (I try not to shop there) Is it the Winchester that's made in the Czech Republic? Probably is if it's inexpensive.

The boxes I get say "Made in USA".

Not that it would necessarily matter to me, they make some good ammo over there.

I have used them both and prefer the WWB.

The UMC from Dick's is weak, it runs fine in my pistols but the UZI refuses to eat the UMC.

The WWB and UMC you buy at Wal-Mart and Dicks is the same WWB and UMC you can buy at Four Seasons or any other gun store.

walmart wwb is almost the only ammo i shoot. My glocks eat it up. I Complted the police academy with a sig 229 and wwb. Never had a single problem. Except for all the extra money in my wallet making it hard to sit down. :)

I've had good luck with both WWB & UMC in a variety of guns (Glock 17, 21SF, 30, 9mm AR carbine). I've have never had a problem with it and even used it during firearm qualifications this year with no problems.

Funny part is the only ammo i've ever had a problem with in any of my handguns has been the fancy S&B ammo from a gun shop.

Back
Top Bottom