"Walls of Steel" 2008

That's right! It's time for the 2nd annual "Walls of Steel". For those of you unfamiliar with this it is a six stage falling steel plate match held at Wallum Lake Rod and Gun Club in Harrisville, RI. Those of you who are familiar with "Walls of Steel" will be happy to learn that Smith & Wesson has agreed to be the match sponsor this year. And that they will be generously donating two M&P handguns to raffle off to the shooters. I don't know anymore details about them just yet but I will be sure to keep you all up to date with any new info that I receive. Any and all match information can be found at www.wallumlakerodgun.com Look under events or under outdoor pistol for "Walls of Steel" info. There are also some pics from last years match under the photo gallery section. Please feel free to contact me anytime by either email or phone with questions or suggestions. You will find that info also at the Wallum website. Looking forward to seeing all of you who participated last year and really looking forward to meeting those of you who will be shooting "Walls of Steel" for the first time this year. Thanks, Jim

I'm definitely in for this one. We had a great time last year.

But Jim, the first thing I see on the website is the Dance Event. Are we all invited to that one also?

I'm in also, had a blast last year and no reason we shouldn't this year.

Now I have to figure out which days to shoot [thinking]

I'm in also, had a blast last year and no reason we shouldn't this year.

Now I have to figure out which days to shoot [thinking]

Bring SA John with you[wink] I got my gas money back last year so I may as well support the match again. Guess I will have to practice a little with the semi and the reloads for the 25-2

Last edited:
August 21, 22, 23 & 24 - Looks like no conflict with major matches ... I'll put this on my calender too.

Jim - do you folks run any steel weekly matches?

August 21, 22, 23 & 24 - Looks like no conflict with major matches ... I'll put this on my calender too.

Jim - do you folks run any steel weekly matches?

PMD,
Wallum Lake has a steel match normally on the 1st and 2nd Sundays of the month. Except for this Sunday, match was moved to Uxbridge.
Normally, the 1st Sunday is man vs man format, and the 2nd Sunday is the timed stages format. Hope that helps.

-Cuz.

These are the dates for the Sunday steel matches held at Wallum this year.
April 6th, 13th
May 11th, 25th
June 22nd, 29th
July 6th, 13th
August 3rd, 10th, 31st
September 14th, 28th
October 5th, 12th

The end of PSA?

I just read the results from PSA 2008 and I was shocked to hear that this was their last year. Anybody else see that coming? I was already looking forward to next years match and when I read that I was completely shocked. I also wanted to say "congrats" to all the shooters from the New England area who made out as well as they did. There were some very impressive scores and I hope someday to be up there with them in that level of competition. I am truly saddened that PSA is no longer and I know that I am not alone. They have been putting on a great match for many years and I for one will miss competing with and knowing those great people. I started "Walls of Steel" because of PSA and I don't know if we will ever attain the popularity of that great match but it is my goal that we do. We had some really world class shooters last year and I can only hope that there will be more interest this year. I am fairly confident that the competitors from last years match will return and I hope thet each shooter will bring 100 of their closest shooting buddies. Sorry, had to get that in. But seriously. My next email is going to Kay and Brad and Rosey to thank them for their great contribution to the shooting sport and I can only hope that I will not be alone in thanking them and wishing them the best in whatever future endeavors they might have. I do know that Kay and Brad are planning to compete at "Walls of Steel" again this year and it would be a great opportunity for those of you who have had the pleasure of shooting PSA to thank them personally. And for those of you who have never had the opportunity to shoot there all I can say is you really don't know what you have missed. Thanks for taking the time to read this little rant of mine. Jim Richardson Mach Director "Walls of Steel" And by the way, if you can two step then you are most certainly welcome to attend the dance event Dan. Just don't forget your dancing shoes or boots or whatever it is they wear to those things. Thanks again.

Kimber45,
Well said - I too will miss the PSA Sootout. I've attended the match for the past five years and RO'd the past two. I've meet alot of fine folks at this match.

Kay, Brad and Rosey did a great job with the match and it always ran smoothly. I think they got burnt out - four days of shooting and a week of setting up and breaking down + a shooters dinner, + side matches, etc.

I am looking forward to your "Walls of Steel" match in August.
Hopefully you have enough help to run the match (and not get burnt out) - if you need help, let the shooters know - a lot of us are willing to help, especially if it means that the match will go on.

For those that have not shot a "falling steel" match - this is your chance, it's both fun and competitive.

Kimber45,
Well said - I too will miss the PSA Sootout. I've attended the match for the past five years and RO'd the past two. I've meet alot of fine folks at this match.

Kay, Brad and Rosey did a great job with the match and it always ran smoothly. I think they got burnt out - four days of shooting and a week of setting up and breaking down + a shooters dinner, + side matches, etc.

I am looking forward to your "Walls of Steel" match in August.
Hopefully you have enough help to run the match (and not get burnt out) - if you need help, let the shooters know - a lot of us are willing to help, especially if it means that the match will go on.

For those that have not shot a "falling steel" match - this is your chance, it's both fun and competitive.

Walls of steel is the best match I shot last year. Biggest mistake I made was shooting only one gun.

Walls of Steel is going to be bigger and better this year...why? Because I'm helping out! [rofl]

I hope to see a bunch of old faces there, along with quite a few new ones [grin]

Now if I could only figure out how to shoot fast

...I have some questions...

I’ve never shot at Wallum so I have some questions about pin and plate shoots:

1) Is there a maximum power factor?
2) Is there a minimum power factor?
3) What is the typical number of targets in a stage?
4) What is the typical target distance?

Thank you!

Respectfully,

jkelly

jkelly, There is really no mimimum or maximum power factor for shooting steel plates. I would certainly recommend nothing more than a factory load. We do not allow magnum or +P loads. The steel can and does take a pounding so we try to minimize this as much as possible. Personally, I shoot copper plated bullets with low powder loads. I find it easier for acquiring the next target that much faster. I am certainly not an expert on the subject and I hope that anyone that has a better answer will feel free to respond to your query. I will be more than happy to tell you what kind and how much powder I use for the various calibers that I load if you would like. Jim

Thanks for getting back to me...

Jim,
Thanks for getting back to me. I just wanted to make sure my ammo was appropriate for your matches.

What is the smallest target and the greatest distance I could expect to shoot in your weekly matches?

Respectfully,

jkelly

jkelly,
The smallest target is 4" inches round, I believe, and the furthest distance would be around 50'?. I have to be honest and say that I have never measured the distance but if I can hit them then anybody can.
Check out www.wallsofsteel.com for some pics of the stages we had last year.
It's a new site that I just put up so please don't expect too much. I'll be adding more to it as soon as I figure out what I am doing. It's totally new to me so it's a learning curve.
Please feel free to offer any advice or suggestions as to what you like or don't like about the site or what you might like to see added.
Thanks,

Jim

Scrivener,
What website are you going to? If it's www.wallumlakerodgun.com the information is updated there and has been for a while. Sometimes you have to hit F5 on your keyboard to update the browser. If this does not work please let me know. I don't want people to get the wrong information.

Thanks.

Anyone ELSE notice that they still have LAST YEAR'S application - and dates - on the website?

Scriv,
Back off will ya. Give Jim a break, he's a good guy trying hard to provide us locals with a match that simulates one of the big events we aren't willing to drive across 6 states to get to. As he's stated before, this event is a "work in progress". If memory serves me correctly, the PSA steel match that recently occurred in PA is not going to be put on by them anymore. With some positive feedback and maybe even a little help from the "regular" shooting community perhaps the Wallum Lake "Walls of Steel" match can replace that big event. That would mean a steel event similar in size to the Area 7 match at Harvard being held locally in RI. I'm definitely in favor of that!!!

-Cuz.

I don't think this match simulates some of the big matches. I think it is an improvement. I prefer reactive (falling) steel to static targets. Steel Challenge stages never have more than five targets and no reloads. I have shot similar matches in the past and found them to be a lot more fun. I am looking forward to this match.

No more than 5 targets per stage?! Hardly worth the trip.

I'd have to agree that WoS is a major improvement over a match like that. I had fun shooting it last year and expect to again this year.

I do believe Jim asked in an earlier post that if you saw any issues with
his web info let him know, let him know so he can fix it, not the whole
dang web world [rolleyes]

As far as the PSA being done, it has been brought back to the calender
for 2009 with a host of new folks willing to take on the challenge.
Stay tuned later in the year for more info.
(oh, and it was/is 6 stages of 25-32 pcs of falling steel, not 5 like the SC)

See you all at Wallum Lake for the Walls of Steel

FYI...
Just spoken to one of the guys running "Walls of Steel" and the link at the bottom of the page is pointing to 2007 form - they will have this fixed as soon as possible....

On the top of the page, there is an updated like for the 2008 entry - "WOS Entry Form" - please use this link....

You can also print the form from http://wallsofsteel.com/form.html

Thanks for the input and finding this issue. If there are any other issues, please post and someone will respond....

Just a reminder to get your applications in for "Walls of Steel" 2008. Only a little over a month away. Also, check out the website www.wallsofsteel.com. We have made some changes to it and will continue to try and improve upon it. Thanks.

Just a reminder to get your applications in for "Walls of Steel" 2008. Only a little over a month away. Also, check out the website www.wallsofsteel.com. We have made some changes to it and will continue to try and improve upon it. Thanks.

Looking forward to it...hope there are a lot of shooters to make it an interesting event. The fact that S&W is sponsoring and donating a couple of items is a plus.

I'm going to give it a try. Sent application a few days ago. How heavy are the targets? I'm using pretty light .45 loads. 200gr semiwad, 5.1gr w231 and now I'm wondering if I should bump them up.

Back
Top Bottom