Want to start

Hey everyone
I want to start reloading. Mostly because I am shooting a 6.5x55 swedish mauser. I really enjoy shooting it but its not all that common of a cartridge but a really sweet one. Also my brother in law and Father in law both bought M1 Garands and I want them to actually shoot them. I am also considering getting a K31 schmidt rubin rifle 7.5X55 swiss. I know these are all fairly obsure calibers I at least am getting rid of my mosin nagants, I decided if Im going to have obsure cartridges they have to be very accurate down range.

My father has a lee press and a bunch of reloading stuff. What dies should I buy? Should I get my own press? What to do and where to start?

Thanks
JRobinson

RCBS and I think Redding have a starter kit. Comes with a press a powder scale, lube pad and 1 set of dies and an book. Its a good way to start.
If you decide on this route get it with 30-06 dies (for the M1) as the other dies are a bit obscure and I don't imagine they are in kit form. Order them seprate.
You also should get a case trimmer. I have a Wilson and for the money it's great.

I don't know if I would even bother getting the reloading setup for the 30-06. It is a VERY common round and there is PLENTY of inexpensive surplus ammo to be had for less than your components will cost to reload.

Adam

Granted there's a lot of inexpensive ammo for 30-06 and it's great if you want to plink and just shoot. But if you're looking for any kind of accuracy at 200, 300 and 600 yds. then either you got to reload or buy expensive ammo.

Adam_MA said:
I don't know if I would even bother getting the reloading setup for the 30-06. It is a VERY common round and there is PLENTY of inexpensive surplus ammo to be had for less than your components will cost to reload.

Adam

Either you're paying too much for components, or I need to buy my MilSurp 30-06 elsewhere. I pay about $75 to $80 for 384 rounds, on Garand Clips, and it's corrosive. I can easily beat that price by making my own.

ETA - I recommend RCBS or Redding equipment, especially for rifle calibers.

Once you've loaded enough rounds to become severely disenchanted with the priming mechanism that is standard on RockChucker and similar design presses, take a good look at the RCBS auto priming tool.

Besides being faster and easier, and avoiding the problem of the bench that wants to lift up every time you prime, the Auto Priming tool has one other advantage. So long as there are caps in the tube, you leave your right hand on the lever and you set and remove cases with your left. As you remove each primed case, it is a piece of cake to sweep the 4th finger of your left hand over the bottom to be sure that the primer is seated just a tad deeper than flush. This tactile inspection is more reliable than an eyeball.

Once you've loaded enough rounds to become severely disenchanted with the priming mechanism that is standard on RockChucker and similar design presses, take a good look at the RCBS auto priming tool.

Besides being faster and easier, and avoiding the problem of the bench that wants to lift up every time you prime, the Auto Priming tool has one other advantage. So long as there are caps in the tube, you leave your right hand on the lever and you set and remove cases with your left. As you remove each primed case, it is a piece of cake to sweep the 4th finger of your left hand over the bottom to be sure that the primer is seated just a tad deeper than flush. This tactile inspection is more reliable than an eyeball.

I haven't been able to find any surplus .30-06 other than Korean and that wont last forever, no surplus will (except maybe .223) its getting harder and harder to get which Is why I want to re-load.

So assuming I buy a starter kit from RCBS. What are others things I will need that do no come in the kit? Like any auto primer? Case trimmer? What would be a good setup? I don't want the ultimate setup just a good one.

Here are the calibers I plan on reloading

.30-06, .308, (7.5X55 maybe) All use .308 bullets
6.5X55mm
.38 Special

Thanks guys, but I still need more info.
JRobinson

IMHO buy RCBS or Redding die sets. I am not partial to LEE stuff for quality reasons. I know some guys love it and I am not trying to start a discussion about it, but I have tried most brands and I personally prefer RCBS, Redding (but pricey), or Hornady die sets actually. The RCBS Rockchucker press is a great one to start with, and keep forever. I am using one that is probably 20-30 years old but you wouldn't know it. It has loaded thousands of rounds of rifle and pistol ammo!! My dad-in-law used to shoot A LOT!! I would suggest getting a brass tumbler, Cabelas and Midway have the same kit, made by Berry's actually. Cheap but good. I tumble my brass when I get home from the range to get the gunk off, then resize and tumble/polish again. Makes for nice looking reloads.

I think I am correct here, but someone back me up, make sure and get a SBFL (small base full length) die set for the 30-06 if you are loading for the Garand. It is a semi-auto and they like to have the SB die set for feeding reasons from what I understand. I use that die for a Comp Corp .30-06 pistol too, as it makes extraction easier on that particular action. Also, try and use Garand specific load data, as it is different than loading for a bolt gun. It likes certain burning powders and such I think.

Have fun and be safe!!

PS: RCBS APS priming system kicks buttooski!! But do the feel check. LEE Autoprime hand priming tool is great too, and is very tactile until you can afford the APS system. Good hand excercise too!

I use an older RCBS Priming Tool or a Lee Auto Prime, depending on how many I'm doing.

I do not like the priming tool that comes with the press.

If you're going to buy a case trimmer, I suggest Forrester.

Thanks for the info everyone
I have been leaning toward the RCBS stuff as a couple freinds of mine have rock chuckers and they seem to be really good.

I already have an RCBS powder measure I found it when a guy got thrown out of his apartment! Only problem is the Green plastic powder cylinder on the top was smashed so I removed what remained of it.

I also have calipers. I was thinking about maybe buying a used press I see stuff like that in Uncle henry's alot and often for about the same price as new but with more stuff.

Thanks everyone Im sure I'll have more questions soon. By the way where is the best place to buy bulk components??

Thanks
Brother in Arms

If you are looking for used to try it out, you may also want to give a look at ebay. I got my tumbler there, for $50 less than retail!

Adam

I buy equipment from eBay myself. I strongly recommend you buy a NEW powder measure and a NEW powder scale. Everything else is fine used. Research what everything costs new before you bid. I've seen some ridiculous bids on reloading equipment, well over MSRP.

Back
Top Bottom