Well I gone did it, got a case stuck tonight in my die

And let me tell you, what a PIA. I had a whole bunch of 223 I needed to get through and this happened on the 11th case. The worst part was I actually tried to resize this case twice. First time it felt way too tight so I took it out, looked it over , rolled it on the lube pad again and tried a second time. Well the second time it got jammed and locked right up.

I ended up having to construct a stuck case remover to get the darn thing out. I drilled out the primer pocket + flash hole and then used a tap to set a thread. Using a socket, 6mm allen screw and some washers, finally got the case out. It was so stuck that I actually tore the neck right off the case. I had to remove the decapping pin from the inside, get the top off the die and actually use a pick to get the neck out. Luckily the die was fine and only lost the decapping pin in the process.

I had a spare pin so I got through ~300 cases but boy did that set me back time wise. What a royal pain.

It was Dillon case lube. Sprayed the pad, rolled 6 cases and sized them. Rolled the next six and it was the 11th that first felt tight so I sprayed a little in a spot and re-rolled the case. It was the second time trying to size it when it jammed. The case had plenty of lube so it didn't go in dry. I must have missed something with that case as the other 299 went fine.

that isnt quite the best way to use the dillon spray lube.

dillon's lube is lanolin + isopropyl alcohol. they're well mixed, and when sprayed on cases, the alcohol quickly evaporates, leaving only a thin film of lanolin as a lube. by spraying it into a paper towel and simply rubbing it on, you're likely just wetting the case a bit.

try this. get the box top from a case of paper. spray it with a bit of lube to "season" it. now, dump cases into that box top so they're all on their sides. next, lightly mist the cases with the dillon spray lube. immediately shake the whole tray around to spread the lube over the cases. it may require a second coat, so to speak, until the box top is well seasoned with lube. if you do a second coat, shake the box around to evenly dispense the lube, and then let them dry for 5-10minutes. at that point, they will be sufficiently lubed for sizing.

if you rush it, and go too soon, the alcohol doesnt dry, and WILL cause cases to stick.

(FWIW, this is stated in the directions on the back of the bottle. NO WHERE does it mention wiping cases with a paper towel. stop reading instructions off the internet and listen to the manufacturer!)

right from Dillon's description on their website

DillonPrecision said:
Rapid Lube 5000, Dillon's aerosol cartridge case lubricant, has been replaced by an "environmentally correct," non-aerosol case lube. It works the same: Simply lay your cases out, spray lightly with one or two passes and you've done it. No mess, no guesswork. Within minutes the lubricant distributes itself around the cartridge cases and you're ready to load. Try a bottle. You'll never use a grease pad again.

Last edited:
(FWIW, this is stated in the directions on the back of the bottle. NO WHERE does it mention wiping cases with a paper towel. stop reading instructions off the internet and listen to the manufacturer!)

Jasper, I never said anything about using a paper towel or wiping the cases. I'm using a lube pad which you spray the lube onto and then roll the cases. This helps evenly distribute the lube on the case and keeps it off the neck and shoulder. Interesting idea on the box top though.

Could be worse. In my late granddad's reloading stuff I found a loaded cartridge stuck in a seating die. I have no clue how that happened. We thought about it and our best solution for making it safe was to drop it in a camp fire and run like hell.

Jasper, I never said anything about using a paper towel or wiping the cases. I'm using a lube pad which you spray the lube onto and then roll the cases. This helps evenly distribute the lube on the case and keeps it off the neck and shoulder. Interesting idea on the box top though.

Dillon's instructions specifically say to lay your cases out, and make 1 or 2 light passes with the spray lube, and let it sit a minute to let the lube work its way around the case. that's ALL thats required. if you're using spray lube with a lube pad, you're making life overly difficult on yourslf.

RTFD

Dillon Lube is not for pads its for direct spray application. Been using it for over twelve years and never stuck a case yet with it.

Back
Top Bottom