Well...it's official

I had my 10th surgery on the 10th of June (my first of possibly 3 hip surgeries) and that Friday I received the results from my medical board review. The findings are that I am no longer fit for service with 60% disability. I was put on the TDRL (Temporary Disabled Retired List) and will need a re-evaluation every 18 months (max. 5 years), but that still leaves me officially retired after 17 years, 7 months and 23 days. As soon as my medical record copies get into my hands, I'm heading to Office Max or something for about 4-5 more copies and then to the DAV to help with my VA disability claim form. My retire date is 28 July...not much time to be messing around. This is a big change for not only me but my wife and 4 month old baby girl. If anyone feels inclined, we would gladly take any thoughts & prayers because we sure do need them. The Air Force was good to me and it's hard to accept that it is coming to an end. [crying][crying]

I can say from experience when you get to the VA don't minimize any of your symptoms or problems. Uncle is more than happy to help you as little as possible in the future and the doctors @ that initial exam have an impact on your long term care and benefits. I know it's hard to look far down the road but little problems today can grow. I know it sounds bad but press for as a high a percentage as you can now, your ability to make a living and quality of life are going to be impacted for the rest of your life. If the Air Force can't use you in a retrained or diminished capacity in speaks loudly for your condition. Every town in Ma. has a Veterans Service Officer for residents of that town. They can help with some benefits, retraining, etc. Your best connection for the future is the one you still have while on active duty, they just don't tell you that. Thank You and your family for your service . I am the VSO for the town of Millville and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Good Luck

Everyone, thanks for your comments and prayers. It does mean a lot to me to know that there are people out there that don't know me but do show some kind of support. Manomet, I had an AWESOME VA briefing this past Thursday and the counselor pretty much told us everything that the VA would never say. As soon as I get my medical records I'm heading to the DAV and will go through them page by page and put down on my claim form everything that we can possibly find. The worst that the VA can do is say no to that condition. I got great advice for when my appointment comes up to see the VA doctor. They'll be watching me as soon as I walk through the door until I pretty much get back into my car. Once I get a good date to see the VA I just might get up with you for any last minute advice. Thanks again!

Mattitude, sorry to hear of your troubles. Be assured that there ARE citizens out here who DO appreciate your service to our country. I hope your future surgeries go well.

Back
Top Bottom