Westboro MA Wallmart, no ammo (until further notice).

BillB

Banned
The new ammo cabinet at the Westboro MA Wallmart was completely cleaned out with a sign saying they were not selling ammo until further notice. Any idea why, as they sold out of most .22 and handgun ammo pretty quickly lately?

That happened at the one in Dartmouth not too long ago. I found out later it was because there license to sell ammunition had expired and were in the process of renewing it. Although I don't remember the case being completely empty...

I am guessing like at other walmarts I have bought at sometimes the clerk doesn't ask for your license or something similar and may have got busted. Or as mentioned above the license to sell may be in question. I don't think it is a new company policy because no other wallyworld around has been shut off on ammo.

Wal-Mart's down here in more urban areas don't sell any ammo. What sort of town is Westboro?

Do you mean the one on Rt 9 in Northborough?

probably.

Like others said, it's probably a license issue. I think Framingham has the same issue, but I doubt they will ever carry it again. It's been at least 6 months since they have had any in stock.

Yes it is actually Northboro. I figured they did something wrong. Some of the towns around here had town laws that every single round sold had to have a buyers name attached to it. The cops were administrating that (easy) instead of finding criminals (hard)....but I thought most of those 'pinko' laws were no longer enforced.

Last edited:
Some of the towns around here had town laws that ever single round sold had to have a buyers name attached to it. The cops were administrating that (easy) instead of finding criminals (hard)....but I thought most of those 'pinko' laws were no longer enforced.

huh? Which towns?

I bought ammo at the Wal-Mart in Hudson last Sunday and have always tried to pick it up when I can find it. In the past they never limited the amount I could buy. On Sunday, the guy at the counter told me that they can only sell 500 rds at a time, which is odd because I have bought much more than that before at other Wal-Marts (like the one in Northborough).

I don't know if this is related.

huh? Which towns?

Shrewsbury, right out side of Worcester for one. If you bought ammo from The Gun Room (or Spag's when they were open) you had to give them your name and which kind and how much ammo you bought. A lot of other towns in central MA were doing the same type things. I am not sure about Northboro (Village Gun Shop).
Then there was a law that someone w/o a 'pistol permit' couldn't buy hand gun ammo, but that was before the influx of rifles chambered for them.

And by the way, Northboro desperately wanted to have there town attached to Rt.9 so there cops could give out traffic tickets there, so they made a deal w/ Westboro to get land on Rt.9....that's the Wallmart/Rt. 20 area.

Shrewsbury, right out side of Worcester for one. If you bought ammo from The Gun Room (or Spag's when they were open) you had to give them your name and which kind and how much ammo you bought. A lot of other towns in central MA were doing the same type things. I am not sure about Northboro (Village Gun Shop).
Then there was a law that someone w/o a 'pistol permit' couldn't buy hand gun ammo, but that was before the influx of rifles chambered for them.

And by the way, Northboro desperately wanted to have there town attached to Rt.9 so there cops could give out traffic tickets there, so they made a deal w/ Westboro to get land on Rt.9....that's the Wallmart/Rt. 20 area.

I have bought ammo at the Gun Room many times and not once did they record my info.

If Northboro did make a deal to have some of rt. 9, I would bet it had more to do with state funding than traffic tickets.

That's a Wallmart policy, that some clerks have never heard of. Northboro had a ton of ammo (.22 value packs) then a couple day later it was all gone....and then The Gun Goom had a ton of .22 Value Packs, (at a HUGE markup) lol.

I have bought ammo at the Gun Room many times and not once did they record my info.

If Northboro did make a deal to have some of rt. 9, I would bet it had more to do with state funding than traffic tickets.

Your probably not old enough to remember having to give your name to buy ammo in MA?

I had a friend that lived in that area (south side of Rt.9, in Westboro), they knew all about the deal w/ Northboro....there cops were really pushing for it (a traffic ticket paradise for them).
The town lines were adjusted so Northboro got on the south side of Rt.9 (JJ's), and touched Rt.9 north further up (to Wallmart).
There used to always be a Northboro cop way down there on Rt.9 on the extreme edge of there town.

I bought ammo at the Wal-Mart in Hudson last Sunday and have always tried to pick it up when I can find it. In the past they never limited the amount I could buy. On Sunday, the guy at the counter told me that they can only sell 500 rds at a time, which is odd because I have bought much more than that before at other Wal-Marts (like the one in Northborough).

Do they dump out 50 rds from the 550 rd .22LR value packs and keep them? [laugh]

Sounds like a dumb clerk making stuff up.

That's a Wallmart policy, that some clerks have never heard of. Northboro had a ton of ammo (.22 value packs) then a couple day later it was all gone....and then The Gun Goom had a ton of .22 Value Packs, (at a HUGE markup) lol.

Not a surprise, dealers have been buying in big-box stores for ages and then adding $10/box to the price.

As for the license to sell ammo . . .

- MGLs requires the license be issued to a PERSON (not the store), after a background check plus other BS that the town chooses to throw at them.

- Therefore, if the named party on the license leaves WM or is moved to another store, the license is no longer valid and no sales can occur until a new person gets so licensed.

- I wouldn't be surprised if some WM employees would be INELIGIBLE for a LTC or a ammo dealer's license due to past records.

- Not every WM employee might want to be on the legal hook personally for that license in case of any wrong-doing by a clerk, not for the paltry wages that WM pays.

- Yes at least one WM allegedly lost their MA Ammo Dealers License for ~3 years. The allegation that I heard from a few sources was that a MA State Trooper in uniform bought ammo there w/o showing any LTC/FID and the License was yanked due to that incident. LEOs can possess w/o a LTC/FID, but can NOT purchase anything "on the badge" unless the sale is made direct to the department.

Fed Law required logging of all ammo purchases for many years. I think it was dropped ~1986, but am not certain of the year.

Fed Law required logging of all ammo purchases for many years. I think it was dropped ~1986, but am not certain of the year.

I was talking above-and-beyond any Fed law w/ these MA towns. It was basically town police Chiefs w/ big heads, waisting resources....while at the same time complaining about lack of personnel. The towns finally smartened up and reeled these Chiefs in.

Oh' and by the way, the town of Northboro got sick of there police officers spending so much of there time on the furtherest outskirts of town (that Rt.9 area) so you won't see as many Northboro cops down there now. Back in the day, there was a cruiser there most nights, far from servicing the rest of the populated part of town. Look at a map you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
I am glad Hudson can sell again. I've heard of a few dealers buying ammo and marking it up like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened hundreds of times every day. I pretty much buy all my ammo exclusively from them just because of the prices. Minus SD ammo.

so what do they do with the federal bulk packs? open them and remove 50 rounds so they meet the foolish limit? i'm glad i don't live there.

so what do they do with the federal bulk packs? open them and remove 50 rounds so they meet the foolish limit? i'm glad i don't live there.

I think Wallmarts usually have a box limit, not so much a round limit. So the local gun shop can't go in and buy every .22, 9mm, .38, .357, .40, .45 box they have, and resell them.

Dude, have you been living under a rock? I think that requirement was federal, and it went away in 1986. I have no doubt that some anti towns may have also required it, but it wouldn't be based off of law.

-Mike

Im suprised. I was in the Northboro Walmart 1 week ago and they had a good supply of shot gun, rilfe and pistol ammo. No .380, but some .40 and other stuff....

Are you sure it was a Federal law and not a Mass requirement?

I've held an LTC since the early 80's and I do remember the ammo logbook Mass dealers kept. I also remember buying ammo in NH during that same time period which was not logged in a book.
I thought that during a brief moment of clarity, the state legislature did away with the ammo log requirement after discovering how useless it was in preventing or solving crime.

Are you sure it was a Federal law and not a Mass requirement?

I've held an LTC since the early 80's and I do remember the ammo logbook Mass dealers kept. I also remember buying ammo in NH during that same time period which was not logged in a book.
I thought that during a brief moment of clarity, the state legislature did away with the ammo log requirement after discovering how useless it was in preventing or solving crime.

I have had my LTC for as long (or longer) and remember being told that the town (Shrewsbury) demanded the listing of your license #, what type, and how much ammo you bought in there town....and that it was sent to the police Chief. This also included powder, primers....even empty brass/casings I believe.
Did the Fed. law require all that?

All while you could buy ammo in other MA towns w/o any paperwork.

Dude, have you been living under a rock? I think that requirement was federal, and it went away in 1986. I have no doubt that some anti towns may have also required it, but it wouldn't be based off of law.

-Mike

Your right Mike, I just started shooting again the last few years.

So you are saying that the cops were just intimidating citizens and businesses, and this all had NO basis in law? Good to know.

I remember having to fill out a form at the Fair in Worcester/Millbury when I bought ammo there. I remember that included BBs and pellets too...which required an FID.

Back
Top Bottom