What antenna for backpack QRP?

cockpitbob

NES Member
Now that I've learned Morse well enough to get on the air, my next step is QRP, and especially for portable ops. A QRP rig would also be a nice addition to the SHTF go-kit. There are some really nice small QRP rigs, but what do most backpackers use for an antenna? I mean, what's the point of putting the radio in an Altoids tin if the antenna is 65' of #14 wire, plus 50' of feed line, plus lots of 550 cord, plus a slingshot line launcher to get it up in the trees?

So, what do you use, or have heard that works and is compact and light? If it's a wire, how do you get it up high?

I have a buddipole and end fed wires that work really well with my 817. I usually work 20m with an end fed wire out my window or up in a tree with a stick and paracord.

Last edited:
I have a buddipole and end fed wires that work really well with my 817. I usually work 20m with an end fed wire out my window or up in a tree with a stich and paracord.

I have done QRP with a buddipole New England to the midwest (a few years ago when conditions were not good at all). The antenna works well, however I am not sure about hiking/backpacking with the buddipole...it has some size and weight. I would still consider a light wire and some light nylon string to hoist it up. Can easily go over higher tree branches with a rock or small weighted ball. Just my .02 cents worth!

Last edited:
I'm hearing a lot of good things about the end fed 1/2 waves. Especially the Parr ones. I like the idea of just one string in the tree and a short feed line.

buddipole hands down is your best backpack antenna.
It has some weight to it but you can experiment with what pieces you really need and only take whats essential.
Its also the most compact.

You could go with a tape antenna like the military uses on their rigs.
But for compact just go with an endfed wire.
Ball of string and rock and you have it up a tree in a few seconds.

I use a multi band dipole made out of computer ribbon wire. It covers 20,17,15,and 10 meters, 25 feet of feed line and some string. There's always trade-offs with weight/size, this set-up requires no tuner and I have talked to eastern Europe with the antenna 15' up a tree.

I use a multi band dipole made out of computer ribbon wire. It covers 20,17,15,and 10 meters, 25 feet of feed line and some string. There's always trade-offs with weight/size, this set-up requires no tuner and I have talked to eastern Europe with the antenna 15' up a tree.
A ribbon cable multiband dipole? Nice. I love the creativity I see in ths hobby.

I keep hearing wonderful things about the buddipole and buddistick. Any idea what makes it so good? As near as I can tell it's just a portable antenna with bugcatcher coils.

Pretty much sums it up. I guess the sell is it's easy to use, set up and tune with some practice. I have the deluxe model with counterpoise wires and extra arms that allow me to set up dipoles, verticals and NVIS. I know you a member of CAARA and lots of the members have them. I was operating with one guy who had a buddiestick and was QRP with CW and getting some good contacts. I was in Maine recently and had a contact in Georgia on 5 watts with a 59 report.

I have a radiowavz end fed and I am able to hit all over Europe with 35 watts on 20M.

Back
Top Bottom