What did you do to prep today?

FrugalFannie

NES Member
There's another forum I belong to and a thread like this.

Today I locked down a 3 day gig for next summer to make some extra cash plus 5 single day gigs. (and I don't mean music)

So what did you do?

There's another forum I belong to and a thread like this.

Today I locked down a 3 day gig for next summer to make some extra cash plus 5 single day gigs. (and I don't mean music)

So what did you do?

Maybe I am just slow today, or maybe I'm stupid, but what kinda gig are they talking about?

So what did you do?

- 2 CrossFit WODs
- shot 200 rounds, each from a draw stroke for time at the range
- read 6 books to my son
- played trains with my son, then trucks, then trains, then blocks, then trucks
- loaded 400 rounds of 9x19
- started reading Brian Litz' new book on applied ballistics (http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/)
- took a nap

- 2 CrossFit WODs
- shot 200 rounds, each from a draw stroke for time at the range
- read 6 books to my son
- played trains with my son, then trucks, then trains, then blocks, then trucks
- loaded 400 rounds of 9x19
- started reading Brian Litz' new book on applied ballistics (http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/)
- took a nap

which WODs and times?

Neither were standard named WoDs. I don't remember what the first one was, the second was

3 rounds of
15 dumbbell clean & split jerk
20 dumbbell pushups with pulling up the dumbbell on each pushup.

I did that one in just over 14min with 30# dumbbells...but I suck royally with dumbbells. :/

I got my fat ass up and walked half a mile today, (gotta start somewhere).
I've dropped 15 lbs since the summer, down to a (relatively) svelte 285 lbs now.

Gonna try to be a bit faster and go a bit further every day.

Excellent!

Keep in mind that you will not go further and faster every day. Your body will need to recover.

I bought 4 cases of quart canning jars and 3 cases of half pints plus extra lids. Couldn't find any pint jars which I am in real need of right now.

Convinced the DH to let me buy a second, larger canner. We really want to ramp up on the food storage and he prefers my food to commrcially processed food.

Last weekend, a shiny new pressure canner arrived from Amazon, so I've been reading up in the instruction manual and the Blue ball canning book thingy (whatever its title is) in preparation for trying it out soon.

I've also been coming up with a list of 13 skills to learn in 2013, an idea I got from Jack Spirko's podcast recently. The list is ready, now let's see if I can complete them all in 2013.

Last weekend, a shiny new pressure canner arrived from Amazon, so I've been reading up in the instruction manual and the Blue ball canning book thingy (whatever its title is) in preparation for trying it out soon.

I've also been coming up with a list of 13 skills to learn in 2013, an idea I got from Jack Spirko's podcast recently. The list is ready, now let's see if I can complete them all in 2013.

What are you going to can first?

Probably beef stew, since that's what I normally cook in a pressure cooker anyway, making it a good reference point. I need to see if I can pull some more parsnips out of the frozen garden.

I found that I prefer to create my broth without cooking the veggies and then combine all the ingredients in the jars and let then 'cook' while canning. Otherwise everything gets very mushy. This is how I have done it for the beans in chili, and the veggies in turkey/chicken soup. This way stuff does not come out mushy. I have yet to can beef stewbut it's definitely on the list.

I found that I prefer to create my broth without cooking the veggies and then combine all the ingredients in the jars and let then 'cook' while canning. Otherwise everything gets very mushy. This is how I have done it for the beans in chili, and the veggies in turkey/chicken soup. This way stuff does not come out mushy. I have yet to can beef stewbut it's definitely on the list.

How would that work exactly? My non-canning way of making beef stew is to brown the beef, throw everything together including with water, then seal it up and let it do its thing. I don't make a separate broth. I was thinking I'd need to do about the same thing to can it (put browned beef and uncooked veggies in jars), although I'm wondering if the water levels should be less than I'd normally use.

Started re-reading herbal books on natural antibiotics and adaptogens, stopped by the local herb farm and re-stocked for winter "medicines".

Keep saying I'm gonna learn more about canning, but just haven't gotten to it [rolleyes]

Started re-reading herbal books on natural antibiotics and adaptogens, stopped by the local herb farm and re-stocked for winter "medicines".

Keep saying I'm gonna learn more about canning, but just haven't gotten to it [rolleyes]

Could you post a list of what you are reading ?

I cut about 1 1/2 cord of wood and moved it from the driveway to the side yard (the kids helped). Now to begin hand splitting it and stacking. I have access to a splitter, but need the exercise.

Could you post a list of what you are reading ?
Sure! The two I'm re-reading now are:
Herbal Antibiotics by Stephen Harrod Buhner
Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief by David Winston and Steven Maimes

One that always stays on the kitchen counter for reference is Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal.

There are tons of other great herbal books by David Winston, Rosemary Gladstar, Susun Weed, Stephen Buhner, Matthew Wood.

How would that work exactly? My non-canning way of making beef stew is to brown the beef, throw everything together including with water, then seal it up and let it do its thing. I don't make a separate broth. I was thinking I'd need to do about the same thing to can it (put browned beef and uncooked veggies in jars), although I'm wondering if the water levels should be less than I'd normally use.

I'm working on it. I hadn't actually made beef stew in a long time and I did again about a month ago. So I was trying to figure this out. I don't have the destructions in front of me but from memory:

Brown the beef, place in stew pot (I did not cook all the way through - just the outside)
After browning beef cook the onions in the pan used to brown the beef. I really cooked these up and used red onions (yum!)
Deglaze the pan with a little beef broth (I used a dry mix I had on hand, would have preferred a home made version but a store bought liquid would have worked too) - if you add water you will be diluting the flavor before you even start, and don't even mention bullion, aka salt, cubes in my kitchen)
Then you add your flour to the onions and I think this is when I added the red wine [thumbsup] (NO FLOUR FOR CANNING!!!)
Then I dumped this into the beef, add the seasonings, more beef broth and veggies and cooked.

I would have to look at my notes to see how much beef, broth, etc I used and how much it made to see how much I need for canning a full load. But I would deconstruct it like this:

brown beef and place into jars (pints if I want individual servings, quarts for family servings)
toss in raw veggies
(doing this individually means you can make every jar have the same content, 1/2 cup of each or whatever)

Make broth: NO FLOUR SEE BELOW - cook onions, deglaze pan, add wine, seasonings, etc (use amounts I did in other batch, do not taste as there will be more seasonings and less food to soak it up, the broth will likely taste overpowering at this point) Simmer broth then remove the bay leaf!!!
The broth is the most important

Fill jars with the broth, remove air bubbles
place lids and rings on and put them in the canner.

A couple of notes: The raw veggies will cook while canning as will the beef. This is why the veggies go in raw and the beef is only browned. The broth will get slightly thicker during canning and you can always add a little flour when you go to eat it (you are not supposed to can with flour in the mix or any thickener see the link) http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/soups.html Evidently adding any thickener can lead to botulism (but how do you buy chicken noodle soup and not die?)

ALSO NOTE:
I did not get into all the fine details of the canning process, this is just the recipe and how I would adjust it for canning.

The hardest part for me is I always cook to taste and canning suff this way makes me actually record and follow my own recipes.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom