What do I send a soldier?

Trust me whatever he doesn't use, he'll share. Sounds like your wife has a cool job. What you're doing will be appreciated. I've told Alan to let me know if he see's someone in his unit not receiving mail,etc. We'll make sure that they do. :D

MrsWildweasel said:
Trust me whatever he doesn't use, he'll share. Sounds like your wife has a cool job. What you're doing will be appreciated. I've told Alan to let me know if he see's someone in his unit not receiving mail,etc. We'll make sure that they do. :D

And let us know too!! Maybe we could start a topic for folks willing to write to the kids if need be. We could just put our "Add me!" comments and you could email us the names....whatcha think?

I can do that. :D I have my other wayward child in basic. I have to get another letter out to tomorrow. He's going to be in Alan's shoes next year. He'll finish AIT and either be done in time to relieve Alan's crew in Iraq, or he's going to GITMO. We're going to try to go to his AIT graduation next year. Maybe we'll have to see if we can meet up with Tony on the way down.

MrsWildweasel said:
I can do that. :D I have my other wayward child in basic. I have to get another letter out to tomorrow. He's going to be in Alan's shoes next year. He'll finish AIT and either be done in time to relieve Alan's crew in Iraq, or he's going to GITMO. We're going to try to go to his AIT graduation next year. Maybe we'll have to see if we can meet up with Tony on the way down.

I'm sure Tony would love that. :D BTW - how'd the tooth extraction go?

We are going tomorrow. I'll let you know when we get back. They called and changed the time this afternoon. So instead of early morning having to be in CT,we have to be there now in the afternoon. Which is either good or bad. I should be having to come back home in rush hour traffic. Ought to be fun. Not. Plus side is I can take Glenn to his PT appointment and work. I arranged for his mom to pick him up from work and bring him home too. Then thursday morning I'm crossing my fingers that Glenn gets the okay to drive from the surgeon.

I got my soldier info today, and I have a stupid question:

The only info I got was the soldier's name, rank and number. How are you guys sending packages?

SiameseRat said:
I got my soldier info today, and I have a stupid question:

The only info I got was the soldier's name, rank and number. How are you guys sending packages?

They didn't include an address to mail him??? I would email back and ask them. They should have an APO address for him.

MrsWildweasel said:
Trust me whatever he doesn't use, he'll share. Sounds like your wife has a cool job.

I'm sure TJ will share with his buddies. Since we haven't heard back from him about what he needs or likes, we included a bunch of different stuff. Hopefully he'll let us know what he liked and didn't.

As for Kath's job... it does have it's cool moments. Unfortunately, those flights I mentioned? They involve her standing on a runway in Cape Canaveral for 8-10 hours a day, for two weeks at a time, twice a year. and that's not even counting the night flights!! She comes home exhausted. And baked. The flights are in May (although they were pushed back to June this year) and November. In Florida heat and sun.

But it does have some cool perks. I got to go down and get to poke around Cape Canaveral one year... saw all the old launch pads and the rocket garden.

Ross

Nope, no address. I thought maybe there was some general mailing site that they were using and I just hadn't noticed it in the e-mail. But no, sadly I just got name, rank and #. I sent them an e-mail to find out where to send letters and packages.

I guess that gives me more time to find some good stuff. And I lucked out, I got a her, not a him [wink]

Don't count on them telling you what they like or don't like. Most won't. Okay the baking part in florida doesn't sound like fun,but poking around Cape Canaveral would be. I followed the space program as a kid,and was really hoping by this time in my life we would be possibly living in space. So much for that though.

Hey Derek, I just noticed I have officer rank,can I go back to enlisted rank please,pretty please. Don't want to be officer material.

MrsWildweasel said:
Hey Derek, I just noticed I have officer rank,can I go back to enlisted rank please,pretty please. Don't want to be officer material.

That's cuz you topped 500. Suck it up woman - if I gotta deal with it, you can too. [lol]

No way. Most officers I had to deal with when I was in how shall I politely say this, They were USELESS. I'll do warrant,just not regular officer rank. I worked for a living. Oh, Derek dear, please continue with enlisted rank please........ Oh yeah Glenn will tell you there were only 2 officers I had any respect for. 1 was an SF CPT, and the other was a Major I worked for.

MrsWildweasel said:
No way. Most officers I had to deal with when I was in how shall I politely say this, They were USELESS. I'll do warrant,just not regular officer rank. I worked for a living. Oh, Derek dear, please continue with enlisted rank please........ Oh yeah Glenn will tell you there were only 2 officers I had any respect for. 1 was an SF CPT, and the other was a Major I worked for.

[lol] And that's exactly why I want to remain no more than a Sgt. with my reenacting group. (currently a Cpl. and quite happy with that, thank you.)

Lynne, it's an Army thing. Most of us ex-enlisted/ex-NCO's from the Army HATE officers. Those of us that were logistics "pukes", Maintenance and Supply, respect Warrant Officers.

A bunch of years back, I was sitting in the Bn Medics office, talking with the Bn Surgeaon (a Full Bird, O-6 type), and I made a comment that he was "a waste of a perfectly good Sgt Maj". Another officer (an LT, IIRC) was there, and was horrified at the remark. Before I got a chance to say anything, the Col told him that that was the highest compliment I could give him. The LT finally got it.

Nickle said:
A bunch of years back, I was sitting in the Bn Medics office, talking with the Bn Surgeaon (a Full Bird, O-6 type), and I made a comment that he was "a waste of a perfectly good Sgt Maj". Another officer (an LT, IIRC) was there, and was horrified at the remark. Before I got a chance to say anything, the Col told him that that was the highest compliment I could give him. The LT finally got it.

Nickle, I need to forward this to a friend of mine - he just retired last summer after 30 years and 1 day. Sgt Major, of course.

In an interesting co-incidence during his army career, he was, at one point, a Master Sgt... after he'd been made a Companion of the Laurel in the SCA (so his title was Master Robert)... and that year he was Master of Franklin Lodge. So he was a triple Master. :)

Ross

Nickle said:
Lynne, it's an Army thing. Most of us ex-enlisted/ex-NCO's from the Army HATE officers. Those of us that were logistics "pukes", Maintenance and Supply, respect Warrant Officers.

I know, I was just razzing her. :D

Back
Top Bottom