• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What happens to anyone possessing a pre-ban Glock hi cap mag?

cjmass

NES Member
I am not a LEO but was talking with a small town LEO about pre-ban glock mags and asked what happens when they find someone in possession of a pre-ban hi-cap glock mag. I was shocked when he told me that they don't care whether it is pre-ban or not and that anyone found in possession of a hi-cap glock mag would have it seized and they would be arrested/charged with a violation and the case would go to the court/DA. It would then be up to the person to prove that it was a pre-ban mag in court. (Although I thought that the burden of proof would be on the police/prosecution to prove it was post ban and prohibited.) If this is accurate and reflects how other LEO departments handle possession of glock hi-cap mags, then anyone possessing per-ban glock mags is in jeopardy of being charged and is taking a huge risk possessing any. Is this how other LEO departments handle possession of glock hi-cap mags?

Anything is possible in this armpit of a state, but I only remember one instance of hearing about someone being charged for possession of a high capacity magazine. The Magazine was found in a vehicle search of a suspected gang member. No gun was found.
The person charged had no LTC or FID Card and was charged under the chapter and section for not having a LTC Class A Large Capacity, not the assault weapons ban.
This was 20 years ago.

I don’t think this is how most other departments/officers handle this. Actually from the ones I know, the opposite is true. Most don’t care if you have a post ban mag as long as you have a ltc. Sure there are a few that follow the law to the letter, but those are in the minority.

Dave

I am not a LEO but was talking with a small town LEO about pre-ban glock mags and asked what happens when they find someone in possession of a pre-ban hi-cap glock mag. I was shocked when he told me that they don't care whether it is pre-ban or not and that anyone found in possession of a hi-cap glock mag would have it seized and they would be arrested/charged with a violation and the case would go to the court/DA. It would then be up to the person to prove that it was a pre-ban mag in court. (Although I thought that the burden of proof would be on the police/prosecution to prove it was post ban and prohibited.) If this is accurate and reflects how other LEO departments handle possession of glock hi-cap mags, then anyone possessing per-ban glock mags is in jeopardy of being charged and is taking a huge risk possessing any. Is this how other LEO departments handle possession of glock hi-cap mags?

So what this leo basically says is - if you are "legal" and carry with CCW, this leo (as well as everyone else in his/her department) will basically perform an illegal search on you just to see if what you carry is Maura-Legal or not?
Otherwise, how else said leo would know how many rounds you have in your mag?
And what constitutes for said leo and his/her department the 'hi capacity' benchmark? Is it 10 rounds, 12, perhaps just 7?

Something doesn't sound right.

Absolute nonsense. Barney Fife needs to go back to the academy.

Having seen the machinations of a persecution in a Mass Marsupial Court where the person was charged with a non-crime, charges of large-capacity for a standard SKS and their clips, etc. I have no doubt that some PDs will confiscate and jack a person up for possession of a legitimate pre-ban mag!

Back
Top Bottom