What is ham radio

I have fun with my license. Usually just logging into the message traffic nets. But it is the emergency use that I love to dabble in.

For example, I can get a strong cell signal in my basement, but during the aftermath of the ice storm, the local cell was out. But, the 2 meter and 70cm repeaters in Marlborough were still up and both have an autopatch (phone line hookup) that I used from time to time to let family know we were ok.

Also, since I've become a member of the local CERT team, I've programmed up all my gear to link/replace the local emergency repeater. I have already built a j-pole that can replace the town's repeater and take over if the tower is lost.

I freeband all my equipment so that I can use any mode in any band as needed.

Heck, there are some nice cheap Chinese radios that allow easy emergency radios

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007F...ile?redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

With the proper programming cable and software, you can easily create a great emergency radio. I was surprised just how great these are for the price. I use them on my GMRS license when we camp or are at a ski area. Far outperform FRS radios and are almost always without other users. But I have other channels programmed to use ham bands or my local CERT frequencies.

At just $50 a pop, I can keep one around for everyone in the house. The kids love playing with them and they know that they are not allowed to change the channel.

I used my ham experience to develop the first packet radio system for the Mt Washington Observatory and the AMC back in 1989 so that the summit could send regular weather updates and relay search and rescue operations.

When I was active in a 4WD club, we used ham radio to coordinate outings and even set up parts runs to rescue people who broke something. This was before cell phones were very common.

I remember commuting to Waltham in the late 80's and participating on the active .64 machine there.

Yea, ham is a lot of fun.

Sent from the bottom of my bowl of Cheerios.

. . . With the proper programming cable and software, you can easily create a great emergency radio. I was surprised just how great these are for the price. I use them on my GMRS license when we camp or are at a ski area. Far outperform FRS radios and are almost always without other users. . . .

But, isn't the point of radio to have other people to communicate with?

Or do you use it as a data pipeline to your home or the internet?

Hey guys, I have a question about ham radio. Why would I go through all the trouble of getting a license and buying equipment when I can talk to the same person over the internet.I understand that the internet would be first thing to go in bad times. in reality , every normal day you could use it to reach out all over the world. I know it takes a lot to get your license. And I admire all that is involved, but isn't it the same as a chat room? Please enlighten me

You answered your own first question, for the second question, no its not like a chat room.

HF ham radio can provide long distance communications under the worst of conditions with very simple equipment and some wire tossed up in a tree or to a building roof.

There are also many modes you can operate, voice(or phone as its known), cw, RTTY, data, amtor, pactor, D star, ect ect.

Study the material and get the license if you're interested, it won't cost alot or you could find another ham and check out their station and see if it interests you.

Came across this - no dates on it or even "Pat Pend" numbers, made by Elkay Mfg Corp in NY, NY.

Looks like something from the 40's or 50's. My grandfather and father were both science junkies.

It's a "toy" telegraph key that statics out a nearby radio when you key it, along with lighting a bulb and making a click.

Even though a toy, I thought some of the hams here might think it was neat.

The Box:
IMAG1754.jpg

IMAG1753.jpg

IMAG1752.jpg

And inside:
IMAG1757.jpg

That is just so wrong!!!

Morse code is a language of sound, not sight. Having the written version in front of you will diminish your abilities exponentially to learn CW.

Also, since I've become a member of the local CERT team, I've programmed up all my gear to link/replace the local emergency repeater. I have already built a j-pole that can replace the town's repeater and take over if the tower is lost.

I freeband all my equipment so that I can use any mode in any band as needed.

Same here.

This is the scenario that plays in my head:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/No-Deaths-Related-to-911-Total-Failure-161104535.html?dr

If a family member or a neighbor has a serious injury how do you get help if cell service and 911 are down?

Back
Top Bottom