What is the average price on a case of 7.62x39 these days?

Going to be purchasing my first AK in the next week or 2 and was wondering what I can expect to pay for a case of ammo. Anyone have good case prices currently? Saw the post on here from the place in NH but thats a hike from me which would kill the savings.

I usually start with www.ammoseek.com as a pricing benchmark when locating boolits. You can sort the results by price/round and by round count. Looking like about 0.21/rnd, around $210 for a case is your benchmark (plus shipping). Compare to local prices with tax.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the help! I was quoted $400 for 1k rounds(didn't specify ammo brand either) from the place I plan to buy the rifle from.. it was the only in state benchmark I had to go off of to this point.

just looked and that place is 2 hours north minimum.. would be looking for something a bit closer or if someone was going there I would gladly buy 2 cases cash.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the help! I was quoted $400 for 1k rounds(didn't specify ammo brand either) from the place I plan to buy the rifle from.. it was the only in state benchmark I had to go off of to this point.

just looked and that place is 2 hours north minimum.. would be looking for something a bit closer or if someone was going there I would gladly buy 2 cases cash.

If he's gouging you for $400 for the ammo, how much is he bending you over for the AK?

Its an Arsenal Sam7... his price isn't bad at all actually and I figured paying cash he'd give me a good deal but I guess not

I've never paid more than $230/k for 7.62x39 personally, but I don't shoot that much of it either. I should think you can find something under $275/k easily, $250/k with a little more work.

Walmart has it for $5.47 a box, or about 27 cents per round. Cases for $250 or less have become readily available, with the Golden Tiger at Collectible arms being the best deal out there.

40 cents for AK ammo is outrageous, especially in bulk.

Undercover Arms in Hudson MA has it at $275/1k

not the best price but may be closer to you.

bob's in Webster sometimes has bulk 7.62x39 at decent prices if that is closer.

Shipping often kills online orders. Prices do seem to be dropping a bit. Interested to see what prices are like by end of summer.

There's good deals out there. You just have to watch for them. I've seen it for $130/640 in sealed spam cans. That's a little over $0.20/round.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Just remember... not all 7.62x39 is equal. Golden Tiger is hands down the best out there now when it comes to non corrosive. Brass cased Yugoslavian is the best when it comes to corrosive ammo with Ukraine made Wolf not far behind.

Just remember... not all 7.62x39 is equal. Golden Tiger is hands down the best out there now when it comes to non corrosive. Brass cased Yugoslavian is the best when it comes to corrosive ammo with Ukraine made Wolf not far behind.

What makes Golden Tiger better?

What makes Golden Tiger better?

It's listed as 124GR while most other 7.62x39 is listed at 123. Not sure if that makes any difference at all but I can say accuracy is better with GT than any other steel cased ammo I've used. I read somewhere that a different bullet is used in the manufacture of GT.

All I know is I notice a difference in my SKS and AK variants when shooting it.

It's listed as 124GR while most other 7.62x39 is listed at 123. Not sure if that makes any difference at all but I can say accuracy is better with GT than any other steel cased ammo I've used. I read somewhere that a different bullet is used in the manufacture of GT.

All I know is I notice a difference in my SKS and AK variants when shooting it.

Thanks. All I've ever shot is Ulyanovsk or Tula so I don't have a point of comparison.

It's a Boat tail which is better for accuracy and primer and Head is sealed, which is good if you store in a Basement. I put one of these and a Tula in a cup of water for a week and the G T was dry, Tula was not.

It's a Boat tail which is better for accuracy and primer and Head is sealed, which is good if you store in a Basement. I put one of these and a Tula in a cup of water for a week and the G T was dry, Tula was not.

Aside from the purple fouling all over the internals from the primer sealant, it's real good/accurate ammo.

Gun shows will likely be the cheapest way to source cases of 7.62x39mm... Short of owning property in a free state and shipping it there.

Otherwise as others have said - Collectible Arms is the best bet around MA

I have tentative plans to make the drive north this Saturday to CAA to buy cases of it.. just have to get in contact with them make sure they do have it in stock still.

Back
Top Bottom