• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is with Gun shops?.....

Update. Called all distributors. Called sig themselves. MCX is vaporware at the moment. No one has any. Going with a CZ Bren 805 S1.

funny , I’ve had the exact opposite experience , At this point I’ve had 3 online vendors call the state on me on separate occasions for separate transactions
SERIOUSLY? If this is true, please out the online vendors.

I was dealing with a well known manufacturer yesterday. I had placed an order with them and they had a policy of no MA shipments. I got a call from a very polite gentleman that had been asked by the company President to talk to "that MA dealer" before releasing the order. I walked them through why this policy was likely in place and what was in fact legal for them to do including relevant MGL references. My package shipped as a result and they flagged my account for further shipments w/o issue.

I have dealt with various manufacturers and distributors that just won't listen and continue to not ship to MA out of the abundance of caution.

But an online vendor that contacts the state? The state is never going to give them good/correct information. There is essentially NOTHING they can do or report about you that indicates illegal activity. You can lawfully purchase anything they sell to any FFL in any other state. What you do with it after that matters, but that has nothing to do with the purchase. I would really love details. Please PM if you don't want to share.

I have a pretty extensive list of vendors that have restrictions/issues with MA and if we have three that are "outing" MA dealers, I want to add them.

Thanks

funny , I’ve had the exact opposite experience , At this point I’ve had 3 online vendors call the state on me on separate occasions for separate transactions
Lol that doesn't surprise me but I don't see how that's the "opposite". It's just the same MA cooties disease coming from a different angle.

SERIOUSLY? If this is true, please out the online vendors.

I was dealing with a well known manufacturer yesterday. I had placed an order with them and they had a policy of no MA shipments. I got a call from a very polite gentleman that had been asked by the company President to talk to "that MA dealer" before releasing the order. I walked them through why this policy was likely in place and what was in fact legal for them to do including relevant MGL references. My package shipped as a result and they flagged my account for further shipments w/o issue.

I have dealt with various manufacturers and distributors that just won't listen and continue to not ship to MA out of the abundance of caution.

But an online vendor that contacts the state? The state is never going to give them good/correct information. There is essentially NOTHING they can do or report about you that indicates illegal activity. You can lawfully purchase anything they sell to any FFL in any other state. What you do with it after that matters, but that has nothing to do with the purchase. I would really love details. Please PM if you don't want to share.

I have a pretty extensive list of vendors that have restrictions/issues with MA and if we have three that are "outing" MA dealers, I want to add them.

Thanks

the problem was that I didn’t purchase the firearms , a mass resident did with a mass address and freaked out the vendors because they checked the list and became experts on mass approved guns

they called Chelsea after I gave the OK and then called me back refusing the ship , after all the number is right there on the roster for them to inquire

2 were podunk mom and pop shops from gunbroker , the other was buds. I refuse to take ANY transfers from buds now

the problem was that I didn’t purchase the firearms , a mass resident did with a mass address and freaked out the vendors because they checked the list and became experts on mass approved guns

they called Chelsea after I gave the OK and then called me back refusing the ship , after all the number is right there on the roster for them to inquire

2 were podunk mom and pop shops from gunbroker , the other was buds. I refuse to take ANY transfers from buds now
Buds is already on my list. They have decided they are arbiters of the MA approved roster and wont ship if it is not on it. This is their decision. They are unnecessarily limiting their business, but it is their choice. I have successfully purchased something directly from them when it was cheaper than through distribution. They tried to redirect me to a MA compliant model but I persisted and succeeded in convincing them it was lawful for them to ship to me. I could be selling out of state, for example.

As to the mom and pops, not a lot to be done. The moment they call Chelsea its over.

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt are potent weapons.

Basically, it's a CYA move on their part. FFLs in Mass can buy Non Compliant guns, for SALE or Trade withing other Dealers. They (FFLs ) know what's Complaint and NOT Compliant within their particular State. If a Dealer chooses to sell a NON Compliant gun to a Customer, then the Burden is on the Transferring FFL and the Customer, not the Distributor...
Like I mentioned, the Distributor is doing a CYA on their part, AND, in the long run, helping to keep a Customer (your FFL) in business.
Just my .02 YMMV
Stopping the purchase on non-compliant guns is pure laziness. It has no effect on the long term viability of a MA business and in fact might hasten their demise. If your entire business is the sale to out of state buyers, then the list is irrelevant to your business. The failure of distributors (RSR is the worst) to sell you non-compliant guns makes getting inventory for your out of state customers impossible.

Basically, it's a CYA move on their part. FFLs in Mass can buy Non Compliant guns, for SALE or Trade withing other Dealers. They (FFLs ) know what's Complaint and NOT Compliant within their particular State. If a Dealer chooses to sell a NON Compliant gun to a Customer, then the Burden is on the Transferring FFL and the Customer, not the Distributor...
Like I mentioned, the Distributor is doing a CYA on their part, AND, in the long run, helping to keep a Customer (your FFL) in business.
Just my .02 YMMV

I disagree, at least partially, it's usually just mindless paranoia, most of the time. When midway and others did the full on cuck out consent decree enema thing so many years ago, it rapidly turned into a mind virus and a bunch of people totally lost their minds. It doesn't help that it's a self fueling fire from the industry end, either. Remotes that are too scared to deal with MA should just say no entirely and save everyone the circus and wasted time. There are plenty of others that aren't a problem willing to take their place. Remotes being afraid to send stuff here is mostly the equivalent of stephen king ranting about how NH is f***ed up because the "governor wanted nuclear weapons" it's like jingoservative panic juice about immigrants, drugs or whatever. Fear with an associated mindlessness.

Stopping the purchase on non-compliant guns is pure laziness. It has no effect on the long term viability of a MA business and in fact might hasten their demise. If your entire business is the sale to out of state buyers, then the list is irrelevant to your business. The failure of distributors (RSR is the worst) to sell you non-compliant guns makes getting inventory for your out of state customers impossible.
All I'm saying is. YOU, as a FFL CAN buy it. What YOU do with it is YOUR Business. You can sell, trade, or do what you want with the gun you purchased from a Distributor. The burden is on your FFL. Distributors want to cover themselves from your Evil Empire in Chelsea, who wish to expand their powers to other States. I'm on the same page as you, and I'm just looking at it from both sides of the coin.
Personally, I'd NEVER deal with Bud's... If the gun is defective, they (bud's and those like them) don't want any part of it. They just wanna give you ( the customer) the lowest price and be done with it.

I disagree, at least partially, it's usually just mindless paranoia, most of the time. When midway and others did the full on cuck out consent decree enema thing so many years ago, it rapidly turned into a mind virus and a bunch of people totally lost their minds. It doesn't help that it's a self fueling fire from the industry end, either. Remotes that are too scared to deal with MA should just say no entirely and save everyone the circus and wasted time. There are plenty of others that aren't a problem willing to take their place. Remotes being afraid to send stuff here is mostly the equivalent of stephen king ranting about how NH is f***ed up because the "governor wanted nuclear weapons" it's like jingoservative panic juice about immigrants, drugs or whatever. Fear with an associated mindlessness.
I can understand all of it. The Evil Empire in Chelsea tries to restrict everything coming in from OUT state. The real issue is the Voters who keep these mindless wonders (the Statehouse) in Power to restrict others (Mass Residents ) from having items that are deemed safe. I'm on the same page with you. The guns are Safe, the mindless Darwins who use them in devious ways are NOT. Unfortunately, we all pay the price for such Excrement.

The moment they call Chelsea its over.
I had this happen to me bidding on a gun auction (that I won) from an auction house in Maine. Everything was fine until they "decided" it wasn't legal for a dealer to inbound it even though I had my dealer fax a copy of their FFL to them. The auction house eventually called Chelsea and I decided to cut my losses, not fight them anymore, and move on. I ended up losing a couple hundred dollars since they auctioned the gun again and took their auction fees plus sales tax etc. Sucks.

Speaking of Bud's, my NH FFL son Lance was banned by them some time ago. He brought in from them a couple of dozen rifles and handguns, mostly Glocks, over time and transferred them quite legally to a NH resident. The guns ended up with the "Banana peel bandit" in Mass. Remember him? The guns were traced and Bud's got tired of the trace requests and banned Lance. Lisa from ATF spent an afternoon with Lance copying all the 4473s to build a case. Went thru a lot of iced coffee (her favorite). In this biz interesting things can happen. Jack.

I had this happen to me bidding on a gun auction (that I won) from an auction house in Maine. Everything was fine until they "decided" it wasn't legal for a dealer to inbound it even though I had my dealer fax a copy of their FFL to them. The auction house eventually called Chelsea and I decided to cut my losses, not fight them anymore, and move on. I ended up losing a couple hundred dollars since they auctioned the gun again and took their auction fees plus sales tax etc. Sucks.
I believe, what happened is... You won the Auction and you are a Mass Resident... If a FFL had won the Auction, the Auction House could have transferred the gun, BUT since you won it, and were having it transferred to you, the buyer, via a Mass Dealer, it became a no-go.

I have no problem at all getting non compliant guns from RSR

I believe, what happened is... You won the Auction and you are a Mass Resident... If a FFL had won the Auction, the Auction House could have transferred the gun, BUT since you won it, and were having it transferred to you, the buyer, via a Mass Dealer, it became a no-go.

I am the FFL , so what you believe is wrong

however, we will sell all our remaining MCX rifles in the next day or so
You really are ruining the good rants with the interjection of useful information. Please don't let it happen again.

No idea how they became so scarce. I had to get the MPX with no folding stock and no Timney trigger to get any at all. The only MPX or MCX I can find in stock at any distributor are pistols. Sig needs to get its act together.

You really are ruining the good rants with the interjection of useful information. Please don't let it happen again.

No idea how they became so scarce. I had to get the MPX with no folding stock and no Timney trigger to get any at all. The only MPX or MCX I can find in stock at any distributor are pistols. Sig needs to get its act together.

Apparently from what I’m told is that the MCX is “challenging and difficult” for sig to produce , this is the reason they gave me for the lack of supply

Don’t shoot the messenger I’m just regurgitating what Sig told me a few weeks ago during a conversation

Last edited:
non compliant handguns? They all disappear once I log onto RSR. I have heard rumor of some affidavit that you can sign to get them to still show/sell you everything.

yes no compliant handguns also

call your account rep and ask them for the affidavit , all it basically is doing is stating you won’t hold RSR responsible if you sell a gun you’re not suppose to , it’s not worth the paper it written on but it will open up your choices on the website

This isn’t the first time. Different shop. But let’s say this shop advertised a certain firearm. So you call. They say “yup we still have some available. They aren’t here yet. But they’re ordered and should be here next week. If you want one. You need to pay in advance” no problem. Boom. Paid.

fast forward 3 weeks. Still nothing. So my theory is. They did a ‘group buy’ without telling anyone it was a group buy. Collected a bunch of orders. Then actually placed the order. But I know for a fact this firearm is on intergalactic backorder. And was optimistic when they said it was already ordered and will be in next week. Total Lie.
I’ll be lucky to see this thing by May.

so a message to FFLs. Don’t do this shit. Because you can guarantee I am never returning. And never recommending anyone to that store. Just be honest with people. I don’t want to hear a new excuse or story every week.

I never order anything from a dealer since online buying. If they don't have something I want, I buy it online for usually less cost, and WAY less time than it takes for any of them to order it.

In the old days, I ordered guns and it took forever to get them in. I never knew why, well, some dealers are just slow, lazy or busy. Some wait for a deal or take their sweet time finding a deal, then charge you the same and keep the savings. Whatever....it always took forever. I always never knew why.

Now...I will go in a shop and if they have something I want, I'll buy it. If they don't and I can get it new online....I do that and have it in 3-5 days guaranteed.

Had a shop advertise P365XL's in stock. Went down to check them out and they said "We only have two and they are spoken for but you can order one". So I don't know if they are in short supply or they're waiting to place a larger order.
Update, shop called me last night and they just got a couple in stock. Going today.

Back
Top Bottom