What size safe do I need?

Mass-diver

NES Member
I need a safe for around 10 long guns (some with optics). What's the minimal size I should get? Probably going with sentry brand. Unfortunately, budget is capped around $800-1K. (need fire protections as well)

Thanks (sticky was helpful, but I did not find this exact information - sorry if it's there)!

Get the biggest most secure one that will fit in the space you have. You will end up filling it and wondering where all the space went.

A safe that claims to hold 10 long guns, will not hold 10 long guns. Maybe...if you jam them in there.

Ya exactly, my old "14gun" held about 5 long guns, so I'm looking for feedback on how many I can actually fit into these sentry models.

Unless the NFA wait times gets shorter, I won't be at 20+ long guns for a while :(

I believe Eastern Security Safe is having their annual tent sale next weekend. Great place to buy a safe. Bought a Fort Knox pistol box there a couple of months ago. Excellent product.

Wait for a sale a Dicks and get a Stack On Elite 24/36 gun safe for under $600

This. You can fill a 14 gun safe with 3 rifles, 3 handguns, and ammo for each. A 36 gun safe will hold a reasonable number of firearms and a decent amount of Ammo. I understand that not everyone wants such a large safe(you pretty much can't move it without help or dollies), but still, get the biggest you can afford.

If you wait for sales, you should be able to get a 24 or 36 plus delivery for under 1,000.

tractor supply had some good prices on big safes.....................get the biggest room and bidget will allow.

This is the one I am getting. It's a good price, and in store it's pretty big. I love the door organizer as well too, which a lot of safes do not have. It is fire rated as well, and has 12 locking bolts. Some safes only have like 6 or less. $599 is a good price IMO.

You can easily fit 10 long guns in there and some pistols. With room to spare.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/winchester-reg-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity-1043297

Buy the biggest one you can fit. I have not seen any that actually hold what they claim. I bought mine at tractor supply when they had a deal. The only issue is they do not deliver. I had access to a truck with a lift gate so it wasn't an issue. I would stay away from Stack-On. They are really poorly constructed. The only plus is they are cheap.
Scoped rifles take a lot of space.

This is the one I am getting. It's a good price, and in store it's pretty big. I love the door organizer as well too, which a lot of safes do not have. It is fire rated as well, and has 12 locking bolts. Some safes only have like 6 or less. $599 is a good price IMO.

That is the safe I bought, I think I am buying another. It is decent quality and the price is right

Before I buy it, I just need to make sure somehow if the floor can support it. Because I really don't want to put it in the basement.

I have the same safe also. For the money you can't beat it! The quality is pretty decent, and the shelves are pretty sturdy for holding lots of ammo! They also have some very large Cannon safes at Tractor Supply also. Here is a 48 gun model:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/cannon-ts6040-wide-body-safe-48-gun-capacity-3910204

Carefully estimate how many guns you own and how many more you expect to acquire in your lifetime. Decide what safe will fill those requirement and then buy two of them.

Before I buy it, I just need to make sure somehow if the floor can support it. Because I really don't want to put it in the basement.

I wouldn't worry about it. Put it upstairs. If the floor won't take it, it will move to the basement on it's own.

More seriously, if the home is "current technology" it can probably support the safe. If it isn't and the desired location is on the first floor, put some sleepers and a couple of posts right under the spot the safe will be. It won't move. Inevitably, a carpenter by trade will say this is unsafe, and of course, it is, technically. The right fix is to tear up the floor and put in new joists, subfloor, floor, etc. Still, many older homes use the "prop up" technique to good avail.

Bighorn safes at Costco when they are on sale are a deal. I have been reading online about low end safes (and all the ones mentioned here are that including the Bighorns) and for a RSC it seems the Bighorns get the nod online. Even after taking into account that safes only hold half the number of long guns that they say, double the size of the safe again that you think you need.

The BIGHORN Classic 36ECB Safe at $999 on sale is considered pretty good. In the past, people who have called the manufacturer after ordering the safe have also been able to swap out to a mechanical lock instead of the electronic.

With a larger safe you can always put in containers with your old taxes, bank info, jewelry, and all that other stuff that should have a safe place.

Last edited:
Cheapest safe deal I ever found was Black Friday at Dicks. Picked up a "26gun" fireproof /water resistant field + stream safe for $400 after rebate. 23"d x 55"h x 26.5"w

Eastern's tent sale is next thurs-sun, they've got a few house brand (champion or summit) for decent prices if you want something with an S&G lock.

Cheapest safe deal I ever found was Black Friday at Dicks. Picked up a "26gun" fireproof /water resistant field + stream safe for $400 after rebate. 23"d x 55"h x 26.5"w

Eastern's tent sale is next thurs-sun, they've got a few house brand (champion or summit) for decent prices if you want something with an S&G lock.

dammit they start on Thurs?? thats not fair, I can't get down there till Sat morning at the earliest [crying]

Check out the Bighorn safe from Costco. Last I saw it was $999 and had plenty of room and fire protection. The thing is with these safes is that if it says it can fit 42 long guns, what it really can fit is probably half that.

Anyone one have one of these ?: Cannon Safe
Safari 5521DLX
Executive Safe

Costco has them on sale for $399.99, free shipping...

Check out bARf15.com safe forum for reviews on the Cannon versus the Bighorn safes. IIRC the Canons are less sturdy. COnsidering the size and cost the wide body seems like it is comparable to some of the stack ons. With interior hinges the door only opens half way so you are going to lose some manuvering space on the right side.

Unless you have a couple long guns and dont plan on anymore that Cannon is way to small. I think one of my ammo lockers is that size.

I would wait for the Bighorns to go on sale again, its about once a month it seems.

Back
Top Bottom