whats going on with my mags

albythewhitey

NES Member
Just wondering, does cold weather affect the ease of putting rounds into a mag? Cold weather vs metal? I went to the range with my brother the other day and I swear it was a hassle getting more than 4 rounds into my factory sig mags. At first I thought maybe one of my mags got dented and that was causing the problem but it happened with all 4 of them. It's never taken more than moderate pressure to get the 6th, 7th, 8th rounds in and now it takes extreme pressure to get even the 4th and 5th in.

Thought maybe it was the reloads, maybe the bullet head wasn't seated far enough down and it was a hair too big for the mag. I checked em with calipers when I got home, no issues there.

When I push down a round into the mag, the head end of the round already in the mag pushes down easy but the primer end seems to be hanging up on something. After much force it pops in. All 4 mags with issues, all of a sudden? Seems unlikely.

I thought it was just me. I had my father try with my reloads, he had issues. I tried with factory ammo, same thing.

Has this happened to anyone? How often do you all take apart and clean your mags? Do you use any oil/grease? I've never cleaned my mags but I've also had my sig for less than a year. It just seems bizarre that all of a sudden all my mags are giving me issues.

Any issues feeding? A cold-induced problem sounds a bit strange, but I'm not sure what else could manifest so suddenly with all 4 mags. Is the follower binding somehow?

Do you carry mags in your pockets often? If so take them apart and check for lint. I clean my M&P mags every couple of weeks just to make sure there's no crap inside. It only takes a few seconds. I never lube them.

Any issues feeding? A cold-induced problem sounds a bit strange, but I'm not sure what else could manifest so suddenly with all 4 mags. Is the follower binding somehow?

No issues feeding. Just when I'm loading. I dont think its the follower though because theres nothing on the inside of the mags for it to get stuck on

My mags have two small indents at the very top. I dont know what purpose they serve, but it seems that the rounds are getting stuck on them, then they pop over it. After about the third round they require alot of force to push over the indents. Im looking at the sig site and all the pictures of their mags don't have them. Its just weird because I've never had an issue before the last range trip

Back
Top Bottom