Whats in your Bug Out Bag?

Then again, perhaps my pack is contrary to the name of this thread.

With very young kids, any kind of bug-out would be difficult if we could not guarantee the ability to drive away. So, right now the plan is to be able to get home and lay low until a better plan can be devised based on the situation.
Sounds like you're talking more of a GHB - Get Home Bag. Perhaps something with a folding stock and a bit more punch would be better for you. Perhaps a folding stock M1 Carbine?

Chris,

Dental floss is strong, but it's not the strongest thread.

If I recall, true spider's silk thread (which is horribly expensive) is the actual strongest.
The strongest commonly available thread is Spectra (be careful, it's also abrasive)
I keep spools of 25mil (0.025) and 38mil (0.038) kevlar thread. These have 60 and 130lbs rated tensil strength (yield strength is about 2x that).

Kelvar thread has a number of additional advantages: extremely high strength, 400 degree temperature rating and your body doesn't attack kevlar thread if you need to use it for stitches.

I get Kevlar Thread from: www.mcmaster.com

Sounds like you're talking more of a GHB - Get Home Bag. Perhaps something with a folding stock and a bit more punch would be better for you. Perhaps a folding stock M1 Carbine?

Or a Keltec Sub 2000... or PS90... [grin]

If you're going to consider a carbine for a GHB, I would recommend a carbine that uses the same ammunition (and ideally the same magazines) as your carry handgun. That allows you to keep the weapon locked in the GHB without ammunition (and ideally without magazines) while you carry magazines and ammunition on you.

If you're going to consider a carbine for a GHB, I would recommend a carbine that uses the same ammunition (and ideally the same magazines) as your carry handgun. That allows you to keep the weapon locked in the GHB without ammunition (and ideally without magazines) while you carry magazines and ammunition on you.
Ehh. So he's got to go get a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Not sure how he's gonna conceal that since he lost so much weight a couple of years back, though...

Not a bag and not stored, however ready to grab.
9mm AR with 5 mags loaded - 5.56 AR 16" M4 with 10 mags loaded - 45acp 1911 with 20 mags loaded 9mm S&W 908 with 10 mags loaded case of 9mm ammo, case of 45acp ammo, Mill ammo can 5.56 load it in my jeep and as far as anything else I should be able to get on the way.

Rem,

First, beautiful Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander. I have one in 10mm.

Seems like you're all set for firearms, but I'd say you're sorely lacking in what you will more likely need. If you need to Bug-Out, I wouldn't expect to be able to purchase much of anything for at least the first 24 hours and more than likely 2-3 days. Expect most people will be in the situation of not being prepared and fleeing their current location while needing to 1) Pack and 2) Purchase emergency supplies.

That means that the faster you can bug-out, the less likely you are to get caught up in traffic and the availability of emergency supplies will be very low near-by the cause of the flight.

You want to be able to pack and leave within 1-hour with sufficient supplies for 2-3 days of comfortable living until you can establish yourself a safe distance from the site of the emergecy. A few extra days of food and water can also be very useful as such supplies are likely to be scarce within a reasonable range of the emergency.
Following Hurricane Katrina, Hotel space, food and water supplies were extremely limited over much of the region, well beyond the affected area because of the sudden influx of displaced people.

This is not a Dan Wesson Commander.
This is a Remsport Match ss ramped barrel, STI trigger, Briley bushing, warp speed no spur hammer, tool steel sear and disconector, adj Trit nights sights, I do my own EB Main spring cuts for the Bobtail. The front strap on the frame has 16 lines per inch checkering. The back of the slide is hand checkered at 20lpi and the palm swell area on the grip safety is also hand checkered at 20lpi
This is a custom Remsport Mfg. commander in 10mm. Hand built by me with our own manufactured slide, frame and barrel.

As far as bugging out you make a good point.

Last edited:
Here you go.
GHB1.jpg

List: T-B, L-R or so

Backpack-holds a 4L camelback
1 L aluminum water bottle
small spherical compass
Foul weather jacket on the back

4 Mountain House 2 person meals
Instant coffee
purification tabs
Cleaning kit
FA Kit w/3 tampons
Wet naps, handi-wipes and compressed handi wipes (6)
2 space blankets, 2 55gallon overpack bags
Rain poncho
2 bungee cords
rope
knife, dead duke w/spoon, plastic spork
Hat, spare compass

I don't remember offhand what the white thing next to my compass is.

I also had another pic but i came out crappy. It shows:
Water filter bottle
Ka-Bar
Wool socks
Stainless mess kit
and my winter bag-a milsurp MOPP kit that holds:
Extra socks, hat, gloves and Carhartt coat
4 pack of emergency candles
waterproof match holder (plastic one w/the o-rings)
magnesium fire starter

With the extra winter bag, all weighs about 35# I would guess. Just the bag is about 20 or so

Net investment is probably less than 200 bucks total, and not spent all at once.

I ALWAYS have on me at least one other pocket knife, my Surefire G2, swiss army leatherman, and my Sig 239.

I would likely rummage the Jeep for anything else I deemed worthy of taking and bolt.

Cleaning out my closet I found my old camping backpack, hand warmers, GPS, flashlight, portable scanner. I threw it all in the sack and said hey look what I just started pretty cool. I came to this therad and looked at all your post and checked if I had any of the items laying around the house. Let me say that the bag filled pretty fast for just a quick start but I was happy I did start it and thank you all for this fun project.

Cleaning out my closet I found my old camping backpack, hand warmers, GPS, flashlight, portable scanner. I threw it all in the sack and said hey look what I just started pretty cool. I came to this therad and looked at all your post and checked if I had any of the items laying around the house. Let me say that the bag filled pretty fast for just a quick start but I was happy I did start it and thank you all for this fun project.

"the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" as they say.

+1 Nice Job!

My wife and I just moved into Boston. We don't have cars and, even though we live near public transportation (trains, planes, buses), if the SHTF we may need to hike/bike out of town. Frankly, I'm pretty happy with our GOOD bags, but I'd really love to lighten my load by a few pounds. One solution is to dump the 5-lb tent, but in cold weather shelter is crucial. Another solution is to begin the hike without water. Unwise? Probably. You guys have any suggestions?

http://picasaweb.google.com/evergre...authkey=Gv1sRgCIyPv4vBrsrcgAE&feat=directlink

MY PACK (5.11 Tactical Rush 72)
$100 cash
Clothing: wool socks, thermal top, thermal bottom, rain pants
Fire starting tools: flint, matches, lighters
North Face Rock 22 tent
Sleeping bag
Plastic tarp, emergency blanket
Water (2 bottles, 700ml ea)
Katadyn filter and purification tablets
First aid kit (Level II with N95 masks)
Protein bars (4)
Gerber multitool
Gerber Big Rock camp knife
Radio, batteries
Local area maps
Dial compass
Notebook, pens
50’ paracord
Surefire flashlight, batteries
Headlamp (with red light)
Glow sticks
Sunglasses
Duct tape
Tissues
Toothbrush
Garbage bags (2)
My Total weight: 27 lbs

HER PACK (North Face Terra 40)
Primus Classic Trail Stove, fuel
Mountain House 2-person freeze-dried meals (3)
Stainless pots, pans, utensils
Soap, towel
Water (2 bottles, 700ml ea)
Among other things…
Her Total weight: 17 lbs

LAST MINUTE ITEMS (not included)
Clothing: hiking boots, waterproof jacket, hat, gloves
Wallet (driver’s license, permits, credit cards)
Passports and papers
Extra cash
Cellphone (and charger)
9 mm (plus ammo)

Evergreen,
When you say bike out of town do you mean motorcycle or pedal bike?
I never thought of using our mountain bikes as transportation if needed. It could work I just dont want to get hit on my bike in someones state of panic. I need to get some trail maps of my area.

I meant pedal bike. Biking is a good evac option if (a) drivers are still observing the rules of the road or (b) your city has bike trails that would get you off the road and quickly out of harm's way. For those who live in Boston, the first ever FREE Boston Bike map is now available online and in print: http://www.cityofboston.gov/bikes/. I also recommend the Minuteman Bikeway.

You could always select a lighter tent like:

squallsittingup.jpg
mattjackson_matterhorn.jpg

curtislowe_saphirelake.jpg
pauldarlow_Pak.jpg

squall2side.jpg

Weighs only 34oz with everything. Lose the one pole and use a treking pole and you get down to 32oz or exactly 2 lbs. Good ventilation, beak to cover gear/stove, and easy setup. And, as you can see, will stand up to read hard use. Those photos are NOT marketing, but actual customer shots. Oh, and it packs into a package that is 20" long and only 4" wide at the widest.

You can see (and more of the company's stuff) HERE

Last edited:
Looks like he's got it!

Yep-just a small one. I do have actually a bigger one in the seat pocket that I could swipe too I suppose. I don't see the FA kit as a super priority item. Not unimportant mind you, but not a priority. You won't be doing triage on the run, rest assured. Those tampons (laugh as you may) are likely the most important part.

$230 [shocked] o crap!!

Yea, that 1.1oz sil-nylon isn't cheap. But if pack size and weight is an issue....

And they are rugged. Several people have done the 3 major long distance hiking trails in the US with them.

Not sure about the 2-man tents, but most of the 1-man can be set up and entered in a storm and not get wet inside (until you get in). Very cool designs. One of the newer 1-man tents can uses one pole, 2 stakes, and can be up in under a minute. Large enough to allow a 6' person to sit up inside and still pack under two pounds.

I am starting to put mine together. Went through what I have for stores and got nothing on the food front, but will be buying 1 or 2 packets of mountain house. I am going to take the recommendation and get a larger storage for water. Given that I live in a bad area have 100 rnds of 115 gr. FMJ for my 9mm right now. I will be replacing these when I can with 124 gr +P Short Barrel Speer Gold Dots.

I am not sure to include a carbine but I can easily fit my SBR in the BOB broken down. Though I will not rely on it while driving, but I it can be handy when I get to my destination.

Question, should I also include my .45 ACP w/ a few spare mags and ammo or leave it at home? I would really hate to leave it in a Bug Out situation, but it is one of those things that holds great sentimental value to me (the full story of this 1911 is that my friends dad was a HUGE collector of 1911's, over 50 of them at last count, and when he passed away the 1911 collection was passed to them, and my friend gave me one of those 1911's).

Thanks for your suggestions, Chris. But I'll have to wait on the pricey go lite tent...In the meantime, I'm gonna pull everything back out of my bag, weigh items individually, and rethink each item's usefulness. For instance, I wonder if I shouldn't ditch the iron tent stakes...

Skald, if you're carrying everything on your back, you should probably cache your arms or sell them now. Doesn't it make more sense to decide between the .45 and the 9mm before you're forced to? Never leave a weapon behind.

Evergreen,

Need to remember that since I live in FL I may have to bug out due to hurricanes. The reasoning behind the grabbing the .45 is more that I can't replace it if stolen/looted.

I really need to invest in a storm case.

Skald, if you're carrying everything on your back, you should probably cache your arms or sell them now. Doesn't it make more sense to decide between the .45 and the 9mm before you're forced to? Never leave a weapon behind.

Given how arthritic my ankles are if I bug out on foot it would be in an extreme emergency only. And even then I am thinking of picking up a POS bike and fashion something akin how the NVA utilized them in Vietnam.

Back
Top Bottom