Where Can You Shoot?

Edmond Dantes

Banned
So I was walking through the woods yesterday and I came across a nice open field with a substantial hill that I thought would be perfect for throwing some rounds at. Disregarding the property rights issue and the risk of getting caught for trespassing on an unknown owner's land what is the legality of target shooting in an open field which is not designated as a shooting range? What would be the fine/punishment if caught? I'm assuming at the very least I might have my license taken away or get an asterisk next to my name as "unsuitable" when renewal time comes around. Which would obviously make my choice a no brainier as I'm unwilling to lose my "privilege" over something so silly. Edmond Dantes

There's nothing generally that bars you from shooting out in the open like that. Since that sort of shooting is most often done by hunters, the most applicable laws are in Chapter 131 (Fish & Game laws). Look specifically at sections 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 64, 66, 67 & 70.

Also check the local bylaws of the town you are in for any firearms ordinances that might prohibit it.

I'd also worry about folks on "machines" (e.g. dirt bikes, 3/4 wheelers, etc.) driving thru/on the berm.

Many years ago I had an invite to shoot in a local sandpit. So I took a drive thru there and saw lots of shell casings on the ground, BUT also lots of tire tracks down the "berms".

The last thing I ever want to do is hit some idiot who comes down a berm just as I fire a gun, so I "took a pass" for that reason.

Just something to keep in mind.

Yeah, I agree, Len. Shooting where I don't know traffic patterns or terrain really well would make me nervous, especially if it's an area where people wouldn't expect hunters. Just because it's not illegal to shoot somewhere doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea.

Years back we used to shoot in the woods in an old sand and gravel pit. Those days are long gone and trust me, your best just to stick with a designated firing range.

Why risk both the loss of your license, but also a possible law suit.

Back
Top Bottom