Which grips do you like

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
I just finished this Colt for a member of NES and we can't decide on grips. What would you choose?

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

The gun received a new trigger, front strap checkering, Ed Brown ambi safety and a Smith and Alexander mag well. The top was finished in Cerakote after getting a f/o front sight and serrations on the rear of the slide.

Looks wise I like #1 the best. It visually ties together the slide serrations and the front strap checkering better than #2, and I don't like the color contrast on #3.

Number 1 is definitely my pick. The grips definitely look like they fit the gun better. Number 2 isn't to bad either. Kind of gives the gun a more mellow look, less tactical if you will than number 1. Overall though if it was my gun I would go with number 1.

Me too. I like the way jar summed it up - the lines "fit" - has eye appeal.

It is really what you want to achieve - do you want uniformity of appearance, do you want the grip to stand out, and how do you want it to feel.

Last edited:
Hmm...

Grips #1 are very aggressive.

Grips #2 are much more subtle... classier.

Grips #3 are great... but I don't like them on this particular gun.

It's between #1 and #2 for me. Aggressive or Classy?

..........I'm in a classy mood... #2 wins for me. [smile]

For this piece, as pictured, I would go with #1. I think grips are a purely personal thing. Have a Kimber w/Hogue rubber that I love. Have some S&W's where the rubber feels "right" and others (revolvers) where I have picked up wooden grips and they feel "right" for the piece. Have a Sig on which the original grip feels "just right". IMO its all in the eye and hand of the individual owner.

OK : the winner is-#1. The owner agrees with you guys. Thanks for the input. When I get the name of the grip maker I'm post it here. Greg

In order of preference if it where my piece:

1 is a bit louder then 2 but I like it.
3 I like alot but not on that gun.

(sorry late to the party also)

Close, but I'd go with # 2. # 1 looks as though it might be a tad coarse.

# 3 isn't in the running. Try it on a blued gun and it might look better.

Back
Top Bottom