Which ruger wheel gun?

I've been thinking of adding a revolver to my collection and I'm considering a ruger blackhawk convertible in 9mm/357/38spcl. The cost seems reasonable, and I like the choice of 3 calibers in one gun.

I'm also thinking about the GP100 in 357/38spcl for the double action.

Any words of wisdom on these models or other comparables?
I'm looking for around a 6" barrel with a modest pricetag.

I can't speak on the Blackhawk but the GP100 is a nice revolver. I've shot both the 4" and 6", both are accurate and reliable.

Ruger makes great wheel guns. You cant go wrong on either model. I like the GP because of DA/SA. I have a 6 inch blue GP and goes to the range more than any of my guns. Its an great gun for not much $$$. Good luck on your choice.

The GP100s are good guns but don't overlook the older Security-Six models. The Sec.Sixes are very similar to the GPs and S&W 686 in size and weight and are often very modestly priced. I picked up a 4" stainless Sec.Six, like new condition for about $200, last fall.
I am, above all, a huge fan of the Blackhawk and have more than a couple dozen of them, including many Single-Sixes. The stainless models weigh a few ounces more than the others as they have also a stainless grip frame, where the others, except Super Blackhawks, have alloy grip frames. I prefer the extra weight of the steel grip framed guns over the alloy, while other folks appreciate the weight savings of the alloy gripframe.
The .357 Blackhawk is an unbelievably robust handgun that will eat the heaviest loads without a problem. Because it is the exact size of the larger calibers, .44 and .45, it is also somewhat heavier. The extra weight makes shooting full loads a pleasant experience.
If you are not put off by fixed sights, take a look at the New Vaquero. It is built on a smaller frame than the Blackhawk. It has the look and feel of the old Colt Peacemaker, but with an affordable price tag.
Lots of folks pay a little extra for the anticipated versitality of a convertable, but most never get around to shooting the spare cylinder. While the concept is intriguing, unless the ammo is free, dropping back to a considerably less powerful cartridge that also requires changing your sight settings, becomes too much trouble real fast.

pickone-vi.jpg

Why have just one? Have one of each[smile]

I've seen a few used security six that caught my eye so far. They are certainly in the running to be my next gun. The Vaqueros do look nice, but I'd like to have adjustible sights.
Thats a good point about having to adjust the sights with the convertibles.
Maybe I could put some reference marks on the sight once I goth them both dialed in. My thinking is that I could afford to shoot a lot more 9mm to get used to the gun and swap in the 357 as a "treat" to end the day.

The GP100's are great solid guns, built like a brick shit-house. I sold a few when I was at the gun shop. I think your comparing apples and oranges. The GP100 can be used as a carry piece as well as a good range gun and home defense gun. The Black hawk is more of a range gun but is a very sharp looking piece. What are you looking for out of this gun?

I purchased a GP 100 built like a bank vault SS 4 inch and shoots as well as I can see it 38 spl factory are like shooting a 22 lr 357 magnum loadfs are very comfortable with the neoprene grips.
The Blackhawk doesn't fit my hand very well but the Bisley model is another but the Bislet doesn't come with a spare cylinder for 9mm pus you may not get the best accuracy from 9mm ammo .355 vs .357 bore diameter
I have 2 Bisleys both 45 Colt one is factory the other I have is SS a blackhawk fitted with Bisley grip frame ,trigger and hammer and no ruger won't do it had Lewis Arms do the fitting

The GP100's are great solid guns, built like a brick shit-house. I sold a few when I was at the gun shop. I think your comparing apples and oranges. The GP100 can be used as a carry piece as well as a good range gun and home defense gun. The Black hawk is more of a range gun but is a very sharp looking piece. What are you looking for out of this gun?
This would be primarily a range gun for me, with the possibility of some hunting. I already have a 9mm and am looking to step up in both size and range.

The link doesn't work I just tried it but the phone no is correct.
Go to searh and type in lewis arms bow,nh that should get you to his site

Back
Top Bottom