Which states report mentally ill to NICS? Surprise?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...LANCE?SITE=WRKO&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Nov 29, 2:14 PM EST

A Look at Which States Submit Names of Mentally Ill People to Federal Gun Sales Database
Advertisement
Buy AP Photo Reprints

Documents
2005 Grievance By Federal Marshals Against Mukasey and Another Judge

Twenty-eight states currently submit names of people whom courts have found to be mentally ill to a federal database that prevents them from buying guns. They are:

-Alabama

-Arizona

-Arkansas

-California

-Colorado

-Florida

-Illinois

-Iowa

-Kansas

-Kentucky

-Maryland

-Michigan

-Missouri

-Montana

-New Hampshire

-New York

-North Carolina

-Ohio

-Oklahoma

-South Carolina

-Tennessee

-Texas

-Utah

-Vermont

-Virginia

-Washington

-Wisconsin

-Wyoming

The 22 states that do not currently submit the names to the mental health index of the federal database are:

-Alaska

-Connecticut

-Delaware

-Georgia

-Hawaii

-Idaho

-Indiana

-Louisiana

-Maine

-Massachusetts

-Minnesota

-Mississippi

-Nebraska

-Nevada

-New Jersey

-New Mexico

-North Dakota

-Oregon

-Pennsylvania

-Rhode Island

-South Dakota

-West Virginia

---

Source: U.S. Justice Department

Last edited:
I think it is important that Massachusetts continues to not report this.

A solid arguement could be made that a right wing libertarian, especially one that owns firearms, who continues to reside in Massachusetts should, by definition, be considerd crazy. [grin]

I just need a big indian, a water cooler, and someone to buy my house and I can run out the northern window to freedom.

Since they run DMH checks during the licensing process, reporting it to NICS would be redundant.

Not really. Some of our loonies can easily relocate to another state and start accumulating arms to fight gainst the coming invasion from the planet Zork, whose armies are known to disguise themselves as taxi drivers. Maybe those other people would want a little heads up that we've sent them the new improved version of Willie Horton.

Ken

MA doesn't report it because our bureaucracy is incompetent. It's not because they want to protect your rights or anything.

I have a somewhat more tin foil hat theory. I believe MA doesn't do it because they are protecting the moonbat loons who are a part of the power structure and who also want to carry guns.

Nah, that doesn't track. NCIS only prohibits persons with involuntary commitments, IIRC. Our lovely moonbats always go to a health spa or something voluntarily.

I'm surprised to see Vermont in the list of states that do report the mentally ill. Especially seeing their stance on personal freedoms.

Let's not confuse the issue. It's not simply reporting everybody who's considered to be "mentally ill", but those who have been adjudicated as being a threat to themselves or other or involuntarily committed to a mental institution (not including commitments for observation). The determination or commitment requires that the person have full due process rights, including notification and representation in order for it to pose as a disqualification. That criteria would exclude the vast majority of the wackos wandering around the streets and parks of Boston picking lice off the invisible gorilla that accompanies them everywhere and engaging in loud, sometimes violent, arguments with Elijah or St Michael.

Ken

[shocked]Interesting that MA doesnt report it but they dont seem to have a problem number 1, reporting fraudulent 209A to the CORI system as I recently found out. Oh yea, someone takes out a restraining order to aid them in a divorce situation and it becomes a lifelong record that the police can use to keep you from becoming licensed. (If they chose to do it) Now you could fight it and win but then again here come the lawyers again.

Anyway, the way liberals flock to the psycs it's mostly them thats probably on that list along with the movie crowd in CA.[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom