Why are some transactions "delayed"?

Everytime I have ever bought a firearm my paper worked has been delayed. Is their some reason for this or is it just luck of the draw?
Thanks,
Glockshooter

someone, somewhere, has a name similar to yours and has a criminal record. It happens very frequently with people. No biggie.

In CT the individuals with this problem usually learn to buy on weekdays or Saturdays when the DEP is open - because the store can call and get it straightened out. If the DEP is closed you are out of luck and have to come back once they can contact DEP.

When I call in backround checks, about 1 in 20 checks will come up delayed. From what I understand, if your name and date of birth are within a certain proximity to another similarly named person that has a record, you will get delayed.

The only way to get rid of the delay is to apply for your federal PIN, which has the .gov put you on file permanently at the backround check place, so each time they know exactly who you are and that its not your evil axe murdering friend with the similar name/age.

Or you could have a record or cwof that would still allow you to have a permit but get flagged when a purchase is made.

Or you could have a record or cwof that would still allow you to have a permit but get flagged when a purchase is made.

I doubt this is the case WRT a NICS delay, at least 99.9% of the time. Most NICS delays and false denials are caused by false positives in the NICS system with the metrics supplied.

The only solution in the long run is to get a VAF UPIN. The guideline I'd use is if it happens to you 2 or more times, you should just get a UPIN and get it over with. It will save you a lot of hassle in the long
run, even if you only buy a gun once in a great while.

-Mike

And I agree with what you say. I posted from personal experience and I have applied for a u-pin because of this.

Jay

Are you giving you social security number? If you are getting delated from confusal this usually helps. If you are giving your social you may have something on your record you need to look at. I used to get a delay because of wording on a ticket when I was 20. I finally went and had it annulled and no more delay.

My buddy got delayed when he was trying to buy one of the new Remington M887s at Bass Pro (for a rip-off of $450). When he came down to the shop to pick up a lo-cap WASR-10 I had obtained for him I told him not to put down his SS# this time. It went through with no problems. I've heard of someone else having this happen to them before and then not putting down their SS# and having it go through.

FYI, the new Remington M887 28" waterfowl shotguns retail for $415, but knowing the dealer price I wouldn't pay a dime over $400. The tactical and hunting-combo M887s are the ones that should cost $450.

I always get a delay of about 30-60 seconds. Once the call is handed off to an "inspector" I get approved every time. Doesn't matter whether or not I uss my ssn or not. I always figured it might be my 7-7/8ths hat size.

I have been on delay each and every time I have purchased one of my long guns. 3 days each time and every one of them went through I don't let it bother me and have come to expect it whenever I plan on making a firearm purchase.

Same thing with me. My first 3 purchases got delayed and then it just stopped. I never understood why.

Perhaps someone with parameters similar to yours got themselves into some trouble, but eventually it was straightened out and they didnt end up in trouble. WHo the hell knows.

The thing I love the best is when you put a piece of information down, and the FFL doesnt read it over the phone! THis happened to my SSN twice now. I put it for a reason!

Back
Top Bottom