Why chrono your loads?

What is the use of Chronographing your loads other than knowing how fast the bullet goes? I can kind of see it for rifle rounds where long range ballistics come in to play, but other than that is there a reason I should buy a chrono?

I suppose for action shooters, it is useful for ensuring power factor.

I inspect spent cases and primers carefully on newly developed loads, etc. and a chrono won't tell you anything directly about pressure.

Thanks,
Matt

I'd say that ensuring the correct power factor is a big one for me now. Also... if you are playing around with loads it's a fair indicator of whether or not they are too hot or too weak (not always perfect.. but your average Joe doesn't have the equipment to check for actual pressures).

After playing with dozens of loads in many different guns, I can say that aside from overpressure concerns... having the load properly function in your gun(s) is the biggest issue... and you don't need a chrono for that.

That being said... I wouldn't reload without one.

It's a Really Trick Technical Gadget. Why clutter your analysis with logic?

However, if you like logical reasons, here's one: Primers aren't always reliable for providing adequate warning of when you are approaching Too Much.

And a basic chrono is MUCH cheaper than a new gun, still less a new face......

Last edited:
What is the use of Chronographing your loads other than knowing how fast the bullet goes?

With long range shooting, you can sometimes identify a load that may have elevation problems by looking at the standard deviation. Knowing the velocity also helps you figure out come ups.

Other than that, I think you pretty much nailed it.

B

What is the use of Chronographing your loads other than knowing how fast the bullet goes? I can kind of see it for rifle rounds where long range ballistics come in to play, but other than that is there a reason I should buy a chrono?

I suppose for action shooters, it is useful for ensuring power factor.

I inspect spent cases and primers carefully on newly developed loads, etc. and a chrono won't tell you anything directly about pressure.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

To properly develop a load you need a chrono to tell you before you have reached that over pressure point.

If you stay mid range with your loads, you would probably never need one.

If you value your firearms and your good health and you experiment with different loads, $100 for a chrono is a cheap investment.

Gary

Firing your rounds over a chrono tell you what your ammo is doing that day, from that barrel, under those conditions, over that particular chrono. You can't get that from a manual or over the internet. Having that data gives you more info for achieving repeatabilty for accuracy and reliabilty than just following the same recipe that you have in the past or that you got from someone else.

Note also that if you are NOT getting consistent velocity for a given load, you need to look for problems upstream. Your crimp is not consistent, your charge is not consistent (a serious problem) or your seating depth is not consistent, to cite 3 obvious causes.

I want to get a Chrono, but just haven't as of yet. I haven't gotten into testing different loads as I follow load data from the reloading book. I'm assuming that if I follow those recipes, I shouldn't need to chrono. My accuracy is fine and the reloads shoot well out of my handguns. I'll get one some day, but it's not something I believe I have to have right away.

Well, I wouldn't even consider getting a chrono if I didn't own a progressive press (unless I was shooting HP rifle, in which case I would probably not WANT a progressive).

Well, I wouldn't even consider getting a chrono if I didn't own a progressive press (unless I was shooting HP rifle, in which case I would probably not WANT a progressive).

While I do own a progressive press, I'm curious why you would say that? Just because you would invest in a progressive first?

Great replies so far by the way. I'm tempted to get one (like I need yet another thing to haul to the range... I think I'm going to ditch my range bags for a range van... maybe I can pick up an old Uhaul...).

While I do own a progressive press, I'm curious why you would say that? Just because you would invest in a progressive first?

Because IF you stick to published loads and IF you are careful about bullet depth and watch your primers - and IF you are loading handgun cartridges, you will not be "walking on the wild side."

IF you are playing w/COAL and/or loading to "make major", however, a chrono will be useful.

On the other hand, if you are loading primarily rifle rounds, you will likely want to use a single-stage, so a progressive is not a priority. A chrono might be a better use of funds if you want an accurate round for the 300 yard range.

If all of your reloading consists of dumping 5 grains of 231 into a .45 ACP case and sticking a 230gr bullet on top, then you probably don't need one.

A lot of my reloading consists of dumping gigantic powder charges into a case the size of an umbrella stand, capping it off with a bullet weighing more than an ounce, then shooting it out of a handgun. The load manuals don't always agree on the size of the powder charge, or even which primer to use.

The chrono will tell me when my loads are consistent. When you're dumping H110, W296, Lil' gun, or AA9, you'd be amazed by how much the amount of crimp will change the velocity and consistency of a round, or what switching to a magnum primer can (and in some cases can't) do.

If all of your reloading consists of dumping 5 grains of 231 into a .45 ACP case and sticking a 230gr bullet on top, then you probably don't need one.

A lot of my reloading consists of dumping gigantic powder charges into a case the size of an umbrella stand, capping it off with a bullet weighing more than an ounce, then shooting it out of a handgun. The load manuals don't always agree on the size of the powder charge, or even which primer to use.

The chrono will tell me when my loads are consistent. When you're dumping H110, W296, Lil' gun, or AA9, you'd be amazed by how much the amount of crimp will change the velocity and consistency of a round, or what switching to a magnum primer can (and in some cases can't) do.

Good point. And your loads make 5gr of 231 in .45ACP truly seem like a cream puff.... or at most a cap gun.

Firing your rounds over a chrono tell you what your ammo is doing that day, from that barrel, under those conditions, over that particular chrono. You can't get that from a manual or over the internet. Having that data gives you more info for achieving repeatabilty for accuracy and reliabilty than just following the same recipe that you have in the past or that you got from someone else.

What Steve said is what is truely important, what your gun does for a given load. It can be different even on custom made guns with identical parts.

I also have run into issues with humidity and powders that I would not have been able to resolve without a Chrono.

If you don't chrono your loads, you really don't know what you're doing. The velocities printed in the various reloading manuals will differ quite a bit from your results with your gun. Chronos are so cheap that it is difficult to find a reason NOT to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom