Why does the Sig 228/229 feel better (thinner) than my 226?

BillB

Banned
I just acquired a Sig 226 that came w/ Hogue grips and was way to bulky for my hands, so I bought a stock pair of stock plastic grips and that helped a lot.
But when I handle a 228/229 w/ stock grips it feel much better although it seems to have the same frame with. Why is that, am I missing something here? I have read that some think the 228/229 has a slightly different frame?

It does have a different frame, obviously. The contour of the grip is slightly different and the grip on the P228 is not as long.

The balance point of the P228 is also different.

There's also the issue of milled vs folded slides. I've often felt that the older folded slide Sigs had less unnecessary weight up top which makes the gun feel better overall.

-Mike

Yes, while a lot of people refer to it as a shortened 226, there are slight differences in the frame that you can see if you hold them side by side.

I find the stock grips from SIG a little slick but I can see how a Houge rubber one would be too big. I've got Hogue plastic ones for my 226 that aren't any thicker than the stock ones but have a very agressive checkering that I like.

It does have a different frame, obviously. The contour of the grip is slightly different and the grip on the P228 is not as long.

The balance point of the P228 is also different.

There's also the issue of milled vs folded slides. I've often felt that the older folded slide Sigs had less unnecessary weight up top which makes the gun feel better overall.

-Mike

+1. I've got an older, folded slide 226 and I love it. Weighs WAY less than the newer ones - or at least if feels that way in the hand.

It ultimately depends on your hand. It's nothing against small or carnie huge handed people, but some can't comfortably manipulate a full sized or compact gun.

I have relatively large hands but find I shoot my smaller Sigs (230, 239, 228) better than my 226. On the same token, I shoot well with a full sized USP or with the largest backstrap for things like a full sized M&P, etc. Different strokes for different folks. Shoot what feels right. You'll just know.

Last edited:
I understand that the 228/229 have a shorter grip (and slide) but I was reading on another site that someone swears that the grip angle is even different....I don't think so, as the 226 mags fit & function fine (on 9mm's).
Yes I have the lighter weight German made slide on my 226.

I did notice that the stock plastic 229 grips are noticeably thinner than the 226 looking at the bottom of them, but with larger mag bottom plates on the 229. Maybe that is it?

BTW, I just grinded off a coil or two from the mainspring, MUCH better trigger now, DA & SA. I am pretty sure it's still hitting hard enough but a trip to the range will tell.
I was told that the German slides hit off center on primers, so you can't go too light on there mainsprings?

Before I'd start cutting up my mainspring, I'd think about trying different springs instead. I run a 17lb. mainspring in my competition P226 and a 19lb. mainspring in my carry p226. I believe the original springs were 21lbs. on that gun. Both are older folded slides. The p226 uses the same springs I believe, but I don't remember what the stock spring is for that gun.

Wolff gun springs usually sells calibration packs - a selection of different springs so you can decide which one fits your needs the best. Try that.

Too late, I all ready cut down the stock spring (one from 1990, KA)....I would have gone with the 19lb. Wolff but I can't stand paying more for shipping that the item itself! If it isn't reliable w/ WWB I'll spring for the Wolff (pun intended).
But I really don't want to do THAT job again!

I just sanded the inside edges of the factory plastic grips a little on a sanding block, I want to get them as snug as possible on the frame.
I am thinking that maybe the 228 or 229 factory plastic grips are a little thinner in the back strap area too? Maybe sanding down the 226 back strap will help? Every little bit helps for me!

You should have told me, I just put in a $50 sig spring order with Midway. Dealer cost on those is only $3 ea, I would have added in a couple of extras for you.

Do yourself a favor and stock up on a small assortment next time you order. Last week I broke both a trigger bar spring and a hammer re-set spring. I had an extra of of one, but had to cannibalize my carry gun to go the Area 7.

You should have told me, I just put in a $50 sig spring order with Midway. Dealer cost on those is only $3 ea,

You would think a Sig dealer would have some of those springs, especially the ones that sell those used European police turn ins.
But that almost never happens in MA. You can't even find Gunzilla here!

You would think a Sig dealer would have some of those springs, especially the ones that sell those used European police turn ins.
But that almost never happens in MA. You can't even find Gunzilla here!

Nobody sells sig mainsprings because the factory ones are so overpowered that they basically never wear out.

The ones from Wolff are worth it. The lightest option is usually a waste, those will only set off federal primers. Usually the middle powered spring will work.

The springs won't markedly change the SA. If they do you're either getting placebo effect or something really weird is going on with your gun.

If you cut coils you'd better test that out before you commit it to anything resembling serious use. I cut a coil once on an HK spring... never again. There's a right way and a wrong way, and cutting coils is usually the wrong way.

-Mike

Nobody sells sig mainsprings because the factory ones are so overpowered that they basically never wear out.

The ones from Wolff are worth it. The lightest option is usually a waste, those will only set off federal primers. Usually the middle powered spring will work.

The springs won't markedly change the SA. If they do you're either getting placebo effect or something really weird is going on with your gun.

If you cut coils you'd better test that out before you commit it to anything resembling serious use. I cut a coil once on an HK spring... never again. There's a right way and a wrong way, and cutting coils is usually the wrong way.

-Mike

Thats my point, the stock ones are so "overpowered" a lot of people would like to tune there pistols for a little lighter trigger.

And I have heard that the SA can get dangerous (hair trigger) for average use w/ the lightest Wolff main springs.

So far I really like the feel of grinding off about a coil and a half from my factory main spring, it's so much easier to get the DA started, and it feel about the same all the way through the pull (it used to get lighter)....and the SA is a little better also, but good for every day shooting.

Back
Top Bottom