Why I like New England.....

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Veterans day, 2006
I have always enjoyed small town America during Veterans Day, and this past one was no exception.

Like all small New England towns, Norton Massachusetts has a very small park at the crossroads of Rt 140 & 123.

I showed up just as the parade was ending, and people were everywhere. I think the whole town turned out.

As I was standing in front of the stone honoring the men lost in Vietnam, I noticed a lot of common last names,
and couldn't help but notice how many names there were for such a small town. Truly a small town of Patriots.

I met a couple of other Vietnam Vets, mostly Marines. New England has a majority of Marines and Sailors, of course.

And as we stood there, we could not help but notice the old Gunnery Sergeant walking up the street to the park
in his full dress blues with more medals than I had ever seen.

"Here comes Gunney!" someone shouted. And traffic stopped for the tiny Marine who couldn't have been more than
five foot tall. Everyones eyes were on the Gunnery Sergeant as he crossed the street and climbed over the three foot
fence, with the spryness of an 18 year old.

The crowds parted as he made straight for the Vietnam Memorial. No one spoke a word as he marched up and stood at
attention and saluted the memorial. You see,..... I found out later that his only son was on that memorial.

I edged closer to get a look at the medals on his chest.

Two Bronze Stars, with V Device
Purple Heart with two oak leaf clusters
A Marine decoration I didn't know, also with an oak leaf cluster and V device.

He had campaign ribbons from WWII, Korea and Vietnam.....and many others.

But I also noticed something I rarely see......a CIB on his right side chest.

He had served both in the Marines and the Army. But of course, he wore the Marine uniform on
this hallowed of days.....something I could truly understand.

I strained to get closer to him, but he was surrounded by the whole town. I heard a few comments
from him though......

"No, I was in Tarawa and Okinawa. If I was at Iwo Jima I probably wouldn't be here."

"I was in the Marines in the Pacific, and the Army in Korea and Vietnam."

"My son was a Marine in Vietnam."

So that day I got to see a Hero from of Norton, Massachusetts. And I am sure there were a lot more
there too, silently standing in the sidelines, deferring all honor to the "Gunney"

Great post. These young service members are no less heroes in their own right and should be revered as well. Let's not forgot the majority of the younger folks joined at a time when it was inevitable they were gonna fight and they had every intention to do so regardless of what MOS was thrown at them. Not sure how other services work but sometimes Marines promise you a certain job and it aint always what you get haha. Or if it is what you get that doesn't mean you will be doing to much of that specific job. That's what makes it fun though.

Great post. These young service members are no less heroes in their own right and should be revered as well. Let's not forgot the majority of the younger folks joined at a time when it was inevitable they were gonna fight and they had every intention to do so regardless of what MOS was thrown at them. Not sure how other services work but sometimes Marines promise you a certain job and it aint always what you get haha. Or if it is what you get that doesn't mean you will be doing to much of that specific job. That's what makes it fun though.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Veterans day, 2006
I have always enjoyed small town America during Veterans Day, and this past one was no exception.

Like all small New England towns, Norton Massachusetts has a very small park at the crossroads of Rt 140 & 123.

I showed up just as the parade was ending, and people were everywhere. I think the whole town turned out.

As I was standing in front of the stone honoring the men lost in Vietnam, I noticed a lot of common last names,
and couldn't help but notice how many names there were for such a small town. Truly a small town of Patriots.

I met a couple of other Vietnam Vets, mostly Marines. New England has a majority of Marines and Sailors, of course.

And as we stood there, we could not help but notice the old Gunnery Sergeant walking up the street to the park
in his full dress blues with more medals than I had ever seen.

"Here comes Gunney!" someone shouted. And traffic stopped for the tiny Marine who couldn't have been more than
five foot tall. Everyones eyes were on the Gunnery Sergeant as he crossed the street and climbed over the three foot
fence, with the spryness of an 18 year old.

The crowds parted as he made straight for the Vietnam Memorial. No one spoke a word as he marched up and stood at
attention and saluted the memorial. You see,..... I found out later that his only son was on that memorial.

I edged closer to get a look at the medals on his chest.

Two Bronze Stars, with V Device
Purple Heart with two oak leaf clusters
A Marine decoration I didn't know, also with an oak leaf cluster and V device.

He had campaign ribbons from WWII, Korea and Vietnam.....and many others.

But I also noticed something I rarely see......a CIB on his right side chest.

He had served both in the Marines and the Army. But of course, he wore the Marine uniform on
this hallowed of days.....something I could truly understand.

I strained to get closer to him, but he was surrounded by the whole town. I heard a few comments
from him though......

"No, I was in Tarawa and Okinawa. If I was at Iwo Jima I probably wouldn't be here."

"I was in the Marines in the Pacific, and the Army in Korea and Vietnam."

"My son was a Marine in Vietnam."

So that day I got to see a Hero from of Norton, Massachusetts. And I am sure there were a lot more
there too, silently standing in the sidelines, deferring all honor to the "Gunney"
Who actually wrote this?

"He had served both in the Marines and the Army. But of course, he wore the Marine uniform on
this hallowed of days.....something I could truly understand."

Sorry, that not buyin' that.

Who actually wrote this?

"He had served both in the Marines and the Army. But of course, he wore the Marine uniform on

Interesting you're not buying it I know quite a few that started their military career in one branch and finished it in another. It's not unusual.[thinking][rolleyes]

Who actually wrote this?

What about that is questionable to you?

Who actually wrote this?

I wrote this story...and it is a true story!
I may have been Army, but also have a lot of friends that were Marines! That is why I understood that he wore the Dress Blues....Marines are like that[smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom