• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why is it called a talo edition

I keep seeing "talo editions" pop up

Do they do anything special to the guna other than night sights?

Most times it is the bronze cerakote barrels with the fde / go wild / black stock,,etc. The "animal" stocks on the Ruger 10/22's are their work also.

Last edited:
Talo is a company that customizes firearms. They had a run of engraved PPK's many years ago that I missed out on. They redid them with different engraving that wasn't nearly as nice.

I look at them like Shelby edition wahtever's from Ford. At one point, it meant something special. But over time, it was just a few aftermarket parts for a bit price bump.

Man, that must have been a long long time ago they did those PPK's. It was around the same time that Mitchell's Mausers still had Lugers, I think. At the very least, Mitchell had "overpriced" Mausers but they were actually the best of the best versus the $89-150 ones that everyone else was pushing on C&R licensees.

Yeah I've seen that Walther one

But for a while now i feel like there has been nothing differentiating them

TALO is an acronym for Texas, Arizona, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. I forget if it is a single firearm distributor for the region or a collection of them in those states. Every once in a while they will come out with a special edition of a firearm. Sometimes it is a special color, sometimes it’s engraved. I’m not sure how collectible they are or if they are limited production runs.

Some of it is just that Franklin Mint type stuff. OK, maybe not. Maybe halfway between a special Colt edition SAA and a Franklin Mint ruined firearm.

I have a talo edition edc. It literally came with an upgraded front sight, could do the same thing yourself for like 50 bucks.

Seeing how we are here, whats different about the sig "Legion" edition guns.....
Legion is American made Sig vs. the regular non-legion versions which are made in China. They also come with a wicked cool emblem.

Generally they work with manufacturers to "upscale" a gun. Sometimes it's just tarting it up. Cerakote, grips, etc.

Other times it's an upgraded sight package. But it's always minor stuff. Never anything that matters really.

Typically a Taco special edition is also a distributor exclusive. So this configuration may only be available from Lipsey's, and that one may only be available from RSR.

I have a talo edition edc. It literally came with an upgraded front sight, could do the same thing yourself for like 50 bucks.
Thats more the stuff i was referring too... i feel like they pumped out a shit ton of those

They are a distributor they contract for special edition guns and the manufacturer produces them. Lipsey's is another big one.
Talo isn't really a distributor in the normal sense of the word.

Dealers can't buy guns from them like they can with Lipsey's or RSR.

They customize guns and then send them to the real distributors.

This is a screen scrape of some Talo guns on Lipsey's, including Ruger's, Colt, CZ, and Glock.

1709830257973.png

On their website they mention that they work with the following manufacturers.

And distribute through the following distributors

1709829951001.png

Attachments

• 1709829800489.png
    1709829800489.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Upgrades, differs by model, and a neat coin, and an exclusive offer to purchase an overpriced, IMO, folder.
Houge makes some nice knives but i get the sentiment

Although at least the legion generally is a paint job upgraded trigger nice case and some things added to the gun

Talo was literally... heres a front sight in iridium

I have the Talo edition Ruger Night Watchman 1911. Black ceracote frame and slide, Novak Tritium night sights, oversized beavertail grip safety and I think that's it for the "Talo" modifications. I love the look of it. Never had a stock Ruger 1911 so I can't compare the two.

i have a smith talo edition 3" .44 mag 629. when it was introduced, it was "special" meaning the 3" barreled .44 mag was back, along with a rounded butt and speciality wood grips. when that talo contract was filled, that "talo" edition morphed into the 629 3" "deluxe" you see still cataloged at smith. i had to find one, and ship up, from texas. oddly, several massachusetts dealers, well known dealers, said this talo edition wasn't legal to sell in massachusetts. strange because every smith revolver is legal to own, sell, toss in the lake legal.

i don't know if they worked the internals when smith made the talo's. two of the best out of box triggers were s&w guns. this talo .44 mag and a e-series 1911. i smile to myself when gun know-it-alls profess that the triggers on smith revolvers with that hillary hole lock suck. mine don't and the dozens of folks who i let shoot it agree with me. super nice out of the box. sort of the same debate regarding the pre series 80 colt 1911 triggers suck and nothing can be done with them. well, a gunsmith that knows what they're doing certainly can work on one. if a gunsmith says they are terminally ill triggers on those series 80's find another smith.

while not a talo, my e-series trigger was the selling point for me. the salesman at 4s let me dry fire it in the store 2x. that's all it took. i had no intention i was going home with an entry level 1911 that morning...but i did.

sorry, as usual, i go off on a nut. that 3" is the only talo edition i'm intimate with.

Talo isn't really a distributor in the normal sense of the word.

Dealers can't buy guns from them like they can with Lipsey's or RSR.

They customize guns and then send them to the real distributors.

This is a screen scrape of some Talo guns on Lipsey's, including Ruger's, Colt, CZ, and Glock.

View attachment 858471

On their website they mention that they work with the following manufacturers.

And distribute through the following distributors

View attachment 858469

Lipsey's s*ck. I had to re-do the cerakote on theory 22/45 storm trooper. The dudes didn't do any prep work, ot was peeling off before I fired a shot.

Besides a bad cerakote job, they did nothing special to the gun. Lipsey's special ... special piece of sh*t.

Huh. Sigs are made in China? Seriously.

Say it isn't so.

[rofl]

Lipsey's s*ck. I had to re-do the cerakote on theory 22/45 storm trooper. The dudes didn't do any prep work, ot was peeling off before I fired a shot.

Besides a bad cerakote job, they did nothing special to the gun. Lipsey's special ... special piece of sh*t.
Lipseys is just a distributor.

They don't make or paint anything.

A Lipsey's distributor special is made by the gun manufacturer in a unique configuration for the distributor.

If you had sent it back to Ruger, they would have taken care of it. The only example of this not being the case that I know if is with some Glocks that have an American Flag or $100 bill on them. But in the product description it explicitly says that the dip/paint job was done by ABC company.

So based on the description, this gun was 100% made by SR. So they own any repairs.

1709840717840.png

TALO is an acronym for Texas, Arizona, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. I forget if it is a single firearm distributor for the region or a collection of them in those states. Every once in a while they will come out with a special edition of a firearm. Sometimes it is a special color, sometimes it’s engraved. I’m not sure how collectible they are or if they are limited production runs.
Arkansas, not Arizona.

Lipseys is just a distributor.

They don't make or paint anything.

A Lipsey's distributor special is made by the gun manufacturer in a unique configuration for the distributor.

If you had sent it back to Ruger, they would have taken care of it. The only example of this not being the case that I know if is with some Glocks that have an American Flag or $100 bill on them. But in the product description it explicitly says that the dip/paint job was done by ABC company.

So based on the description, this gun was 100% made by SR. So they own any repairs.

View attachment 858579

Well ... they should check the stuff they distribute. No way I was putting all the stocks parts back in the gun and sending it back for them to do a sh*t job a second time. I decided to have it done the right way.

But I will still talk sh*t, because it speaks to the quality of people they work with. There are probably hundreds of people with the same issue I had.

I will give them one positive, they were very quick to reply to my Email and tell me to ship it to Ruger. :/

I went to @Golddiggie house, we were ripping the Cerakote with our fingers. Zero prep work underneath. I wonder how many were sprayed that way.

Back
Top Bottom