Why not an EOTech 512?

I have been looking around for a good red dot for one of my ARs. I keep coming back to the EOTech 512. My reasons why,

-Magnification not needed/wanted.
-NV compatible not needed
-Uses AA batteries.
-Reviews has it built like a tank.

My question is.... Why not an EOTech 512?

I had a very light AR15 build, so it significantly increased the weight. If the weight isn't an issue, it works very well and is rugged. For a very light build, there are smaller and lighter options as well as ones that don't require batteries.

I guess if you ever have the $$ for a night vision system, getting a new EOTech that supports it won't be a big deal.

I have the 511 and love it. The only problem I've found is with the AA batteries. When you let it sit in the safe for an extended amount of time they will seep acid all over the inside of the Eotech. So make sure you leave them out or buy Lithium AA's.

The only problem I've found is with the AA batteries. When you let it sit in the safe for an extended amount of time they will seep acid all over the inside of the Eotech. So make sure you leave them out or buy Lithium AA's.

Yes, I learned this the hard way and it didn't even sit in the safe all the time.

Because it's not an Aimpoint. I leave my M2 on all the time. Battery life > 1 year.

I have been looking around for a good red dot for one of my ARs. I keep coming back to the EOTech 512. My reasons why,

-Magnification not needed/wanted.
-NV compatible not needed
-Uses AA batteries.
-Reviews has it built like a tank.

My question is.... Why not an EOTech 512?

That's not a reason against the EOTech. I think the EOTech is supposed to have a battery life of 1100 hours., or damned close to two months.

Don't know about the newer Eotechs... but the 512 has either an 8hr or 4hr shutoff. No way to disable the auto-shut off.

I hadn't used an EOTech till the last NES NH shoot, but I was really really surprised with the clarity of the image and the openness of the field of view with both eyes open. I've used my brother's Aimpoint and a variety of cheaper red dots, and they all bugged me by having a bit of "flare" in the image, and the Aimpoint seemed to constrict my FOV. The EOTech really just made target aquisition and sight lineup almost too easy.

So I've got a 517 on order. And since I work for an L-3 company, I get a considerable discount [grin]. Unfortunately, corporate policy is that I can only order one unit at discount, so no, I can't hook you guys up.

Make sure you look through one first. I found the circle/dot to be absurdly big and distracting for the kind of shooting I do, but it's that way for a reason. Just make sure you like it.

I have one on my PS90 and it works great on a small PDW. I couldn't justify spending all the that money on an Aimpoint just to get a freakin red dot ... I wanted the whole floating donut of death for my hard earned cash :)

I like how it looks on the PS90 too:
SNC00129.jpg

One more reason to get something else, or at least a quality mount!

If its put on properly this is not a problem. With the exception of the ACOG EOtechs are one of the most reliable optics on the market. With anything else mark the settings and mount with a paint marker.

One more reason to get something else, or at least a quality mount!

No, not at all. tightening it is as easy as giving a knob a twist. mine loosened on me once and when tightned back up went right back into zero.

I knew I wanted an EOTech, but couldn't decide on which model. Then I looked at the tactical light on my gun (cr123 Lithium batteries), and the green laser (cr123 Lithium batteries) and decided "HEY - how about the 516 Model with cr123 Lithium batteries?"

Very happy with it so far!

Back
Top Bottom