Wicked Weaponry's Ben Beauchemin interviewed on public radio

View: https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/elections/100000009275021/2024-primary-nh-second-amendment.html

Why I’m Voting: A Gun Store Owner Faces a Difficult Choice

“I don’t fit on any one side,” says gun shop owner Ben Beauchemin. He’s a Second Amendment advocate who also supports women’s reproductive rights, and says he’s undecided about who to vote for in the primary.

I mean, there’s a part of me that believes it would be business suicide to admit that I am liberal and I just happen to really love the Second Amendment. I’m an Army vet. I lived in New Hampshire my whole life. I grew up hunting and using firearms. And the conversation wasn’t about overthrowing the government or defending your home. It was, you know, shooting cans with my dad. I have a lot of liberal friends, and I sometimes don’t want to tell them that I own a gun store. The most important issues for me right now are women’s rights, reproductive rights and the economy. And I don’t think I’m the only one. I think that there are people out there who respect and believe in the Second Amendment and respect and believe in women’s rights, but we’re just drowned out by the people on the extreme ends of the spectrum, unfortunately. As of right now, I am, again, begrudgingly participating in the primary. On the conservative side, I’m seeing a lot of people who can’t even at the most basic level, denounce a person like Trump as unfit for the presidency. And on the opposite side, when I see an entire Democratic Party, and they want to back the same old candidate, that doesn’t make me feel very good about them either. I love the Second Amendment. I think it’s a necessity. But unfortunately, it’s become a very polarized issue where either you’re all in or you’re all out. And I don’t like the lack of nuance there. I’m voting because I believe that it is an American responsibility to be part of this system. The thing that gives me the biggest hope for America in general is that we get to do this every four years. My hope is that we get a new crop of people — younger, more diverse, and we get to see what America really looks like instead of the caricatures we kind of have right now. I am so excited for 2028.

View: https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/elections/100000009275021/2024-primary-nh-second-amendment.html

“I don’t fit on any one side,” says gun shop owner Ben Beauchemin. He’s a Second Amendment advocate who also supports women’s reproductive rights, and says he’s undecided about who to vote for in the primary.

I mean, there’s a part of me that believes it would be business suicide to admit that I am liberal and I just happen to really love the Second Amendment. I’m an Army vet. I lived in New Hampshire my whole life. I grew up hunting and using firearms. And the conversation wasn’t about overthrowing the government or defending your home. It was, you know, shooting cans with my dad. I have a lot of liberal friends, and I sometimes don’t want to tell them that I own a gun store. The most important issues for me right now are women’s rights, reproductive rights and the economy. And I don’t think I’m the only one. I think that there are people out there who respect and believe in the Second Amendment and respect and believe in women’s rights, but we’re just drowned out by the people on the extreme ends of the spectrum, unfortunately. As of right now, I am, again, begrudgingly participating in the primary. On the conservative side, I’m seeing a lot of people who can’t even at the most basic level, denounce a person like Trump as unfit for the presidency. And on the opposite side, when I see an entire Democratic Party, and they want to back the same old candidate, that doesn’t make me feel very good about them either. I love the Second Amendment. I think it’s a necessity. But unfortunately, it’s become a very polarized issue where either you’re all in or you’re all out. And I don’t like the lack of nuance there. I’m voting because I believe that it is an American responsibility to be part of this system. The thing that gives me the biggest hope for America in general is that we get to do this every four years. My hope is that we get a new crop of people — younger, more diverse, and we get to see what America really looks like instead of the caricatures we kind of have right now. I am so excited for 2028.

Just another puppet.

That was a whole lot of words to basically say nothing.

I'm going to guess he's a Kamala fan, since they both speak in word salad.

Me, over in classic liberal land (currently known to the left as a far-right neo-nazi) the f*** is wrong with being an OG Liberal?

and before anyone gets their panties in such a bind their dick and balls switch spots

Except most classical libs wouldn't touch gun control the way he did.

"And the conversation wasn’t about overthrowing the government or defending your home. It was, you know, shooting cans with my dad"

"I love the Second Amendment. I think it’s a necessity. But unfortunately, it’s become a very polarized issue where either you’re all in or you’re all out. And I don’t like the lack of nuance there"

There's very little nuance on 2A. The whole point is to retain guns to be able to kill bad people with them. (If needed). Everything else is frosting.

Those two paragraphs show that he doesn't understand what 2A was really for. Probably because it makes him uncomfortable. He's still quite obviously not on the correct side of the bridge.

Except most classical libs wouldn't touch gun control the way he did.

"And the conversation wasn’t about overthrowing the government or defending your home. It was, you know, shooting cans with my dad"

"I love the Second Amendment. I think it’s a necessity. But unfortunately, it’s become a very polarized issue where either you’re all in or you’re all out. And I don’t like the lack of nuance there"

There's very little nuance on 2A. The whole point is to retain guns to be able to kill bad people with them. (If needed). Everything else is frosting.

Those two paragraphs show that he doesn't understand what 2A was really for. Probably because it makes him uncomfortable. He's still quite obviously not on the correct side of the bridge.

No, I'm more getting at he isn't a "2A supporter"

"

I mean, there’s a part of me that believes it would be business suicide to admit that I am liberal and I just happen to really love the Second Amendment."

It's not suicide, just stupidity.

This is what happens when there is absolutely zero story to cover and a writer needs to hit a word count and a deadline.

There use to be this thing called a functional disagreement where adults could express a difference of opinion on a matter and have it not be an existential crisis. Most of us don't fit on "one side." It's not a big deal.

This is what happens when there is absolutely zero story to cover and a writer needs to hit a word count and a deadline.

There use to be this thing called a functional disagreement where adults could express a difference of opinion on a matter and have it not be an existential crisis. Most of us don't fit on "one side." It's not a big deal.
The last person to talk to if you're trying to have a nuanced discussion about something is a reporter. 🤣 particularly in that kind of format.

Yep. See you thursday.

He's not as rare as he thinks he is. I'm sure there's a lot of Pro 2A people that believe in women's rights.
2 VERY Separate issues under very separate legal doctrine. No idea why anyone would converge one with the other into being some type of unicorn.

Abortion is not about just womens rights, there is a father involved. The father should have the same rights to jettison the baby if he wants as the mother if she wants to
keep it.

Yeah....makes the feminazi head spin when you say no child support for Dad if she wants to keep it......, doesn't it.

The reality is Abortion rights were treated the same as 2A rights for a long time. Which was wrong. Abortion was never a Constitutional right, it was case law.

Yet unrestricted for a long time nationwide. Unlike 2A.

2A a constitutional right.....is extremely restricted in certain states, and has been allowed to be that way forever......for public safety and feel good reasons. Bullshit.

My take on Abortion rights was the same as 2A rights.......you can have your privately funded abortions, could care less, kill as many babies as you want......... if I just can have a my standard 17 round glock mags, 30 Round AR mags, silencers, etc......, no ban on anything in MA and every other ban state. Make all states free states for 2A. Simple as that.

Until then, states limiting Abortion is OK with me, as its NOT a constitutional right, and states have that have been given every right to mess with my 2A rights have more than every right to mess with a case law verdict.

Don't want to make this about Abortion......but conflating Abortion rights with gun rights is not apples to apples.

Last edited:

The two most important issues for him are killing babies (creepy) and the economy….. throw in shooting cans in the backyard. Maybe they can put an amendment to change the 2nd to shooting cans

Back
Top Bottom