• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wife's first time deer hunting

Is it the same tag for both species?
Yes. My general tag in this zone is good for a muley buck, whitetail buck, or whitetail doe.

I also have in my pocket two whitetail doe tags for another zone in the Eastern part of the state. That's a couple weeks from now. I hope to have some good stories from that hunt. We are going for a few days. Sleeping in a wall tent with a stove.

Awesome!! Congrats! I got my wife out bear hunting this year because of how beautiful the hide from my bear came out. She wants a cozy blanket of her own.
That's so cool. It's kind of nice being out there with your significant other. Only issue is my pack was a bit heavier because I decided to be umm, chivalrous??

I'd only read about those places, mostly as a young teen, in Outdoor Life, Sports Afield and Field & Stream. These posts are terrific.

I'd only read about those places, mostly as a young teen, in Outdoor Life, Sports Afield and Field & Stream. These posts are terrific.
Grandparents would renew a Petersens subscription for me every Christmas. Might be one of the best holiday gifts to date.

Was back again this morning but in a different part of the property. This side holds whitetails. Went in with my son in law. Came across six does. And we found the same amount of bucks bedded in a small swamp but it was on private. Going back tonight. Will set up my wife to intercept the does, hopefully. I will stay with her and be the guide for the evening. Son in law will set up to get one of the bucks if they cross.

Ok, now for the story. We start hiking in about 45 minutes before legal light. We work our way up a large hill. At the top is ag land. Still kind of dark. I peak over the crest and I think I see a deer. We crouch down and I grab my binos. BTW, good binos are worth their weight in gold in low light. Yup, it's a deer. About 150 yards. WInd is perfect. Problem is I can't tell if it's a buck or a doe. We sit there for fifteen minutes. I tell Cathy that I think it is a big doe. We will have to spook it so we can get to the ravine I was targeting. So I stand up so it can see me. It lifts its head just enough to skyline itself. It's a buck. Shit, I screwed up. Should have waited. Thing bounds off across the field and down a ravine. After a few minutes of feeling sorry for myself we start to make the trek across the field. About 800 yards away we spot about five deer. Probably all does, but we need to check it out. We get to the perimeter of the field, with a ravine along side it. This is actually the first area I wanted to sit and just scan with binos. But we decide to close the gap on the deer, keeping an eye for anything on the other side of the ravine. After a few hundreds yards of walking I spot a white butt on the upslope of the ravine. Put my binos on it and notice it is the buck we bumped. He was heading up to the next ag field. We watch him crest the top, walk a little and start feeding. We have about 700 or so yards between us. It's go time. I tell Cathy we are going to drop in and climb up the other side, safely downwind of him. Hopefully he is there when we pop over. Well the wind and hunting gods favored us. We crest, and I take a peak. There he is 180 yards away. We have a slight knoll and tall grass to deal with, so no sitting shot here. Going to have to stand. I get my tripod off my pack and extend the legs so Cathy can shoot standing. I set the rifle in the mount and she peers through the scope. I take a look as well. Ya, don't like all the grass between us and his vitals. I give her the gun back, I grab the tripod and we creep forward so we have a better perspective and less things to get in the way. We set up. He still has no idea we are there. 150 yards. He is quartering away hard. I tell her to aim about 6 inches behind the shoulder. She looks at me ands asks, "are you sure?" I tell her, "yup". She squeezes the trigger and knocks him right over. I tell her to reload just in case. He stumbles but actually gets up. "Hit em again!" Bang. Deer down. What a day. Easiest hunt of life. Only a mile back to the car, relatively flat.

We got out again today. It was my turn. This time targeting whitetail bucks. Wind was awful for our spot. Came across three does downwind about 400 yards out. They could smell us but couldn't get a fix on us. Soon a buck arrived. We had no play. Tried to get ahead of them, going to cut off the buck at about 200 yards. The does picked us off but the buck kept on his track. Unfortunately he never got in range and hopped into private.

Still a good hunt. We banged out some more miles today looking for something. Five miles in total. Cathy was a trooper. Right now she is on the couch, basically in a coma. Deer camp starts Saturday. Three days in the eastern part of the state filling a bunch of doe tags. She told me she is out. She needs a week to recover. She told me we need to do more training next year if she is going to continue hunting with me. Sounds like a plan.

So deer camp is down to me and my son in law. Three days of scouting and hunting. I still have my general tag. Maybe I stumble into a nice buck. I will take lots of pics.

Big congratulations to the better half!

I cant find the other post and i forget- what state are you in? Did you do the wall tent yourselves or via an outfitter?

Big congratulations to the better half!

I cant find the other post and i forget- what state are you in? Did you do the wall tent yourselves or via an outfitter?
Montana. We did ourselves. Takes 20 minutes. Our first time using one. It's a game changer. Ended deer camp one day early. Driving home now. Story to come later.

20231113_122754.jpg

So deer camp had to end a day early. Because.........

We had three whitetail does down by 10am this morning! This was purely a meat hunt.
We had six whitetail doe tags in our pockets. I passed on a 3x3 muley. At this point I'm not taking a buck unless it's larger than the one I shot last year. I still have three weeks to find my muley, but I'm happy to burn my tag if I don't. I would like to find a whitetail buck as well.

We had great weather. Only got down to the thirties at night. Fifties during the day. Loved the wall tent. Yup, I'm ordering one. We can hunt in some real crap weather with one of these things. I have some great tents, but the ability to stretch out, have heat, cook inside and dry clothes is a whole other level. I hope to have one for turkey camp. 20231113_114705.jpg 20231112_101754.jpg 20231113_064556.jpg 20231113_074937.jpg 28668.jpeg 20231112_161405.jpg

Just an awesome time. Happy and sad that it ended early. Godamn life can be fun sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom