Winchester model 100 problems

shotgunwilly870

NES Member
I have a winchester model 100 in .308 that I inherited from my grandfather it has been problematic for a while now it keeps failing to eject usually on the first or second round every time it's got 5 rd mags but its more like a single shot I replaced the piston because it was very deteriorated and that didn't help I cleaned everything very well and yesterday I tried a bore cleaner to remove any brass buildup that may have been in the chamber I used a .45 brush with patches and a drill to polish the chamber thinking it might have just been sticky? I plan on testing it again this weekend if that doesn't work any suggestions?

I have a winchester model 100 in .308 that I inherited from my grandfather it has been problematic for a while now it keeps failing to eject usually on the first or second round every time it's got 5 rd mags but its more like a single shot I replaced the piston because it was very deteriorated and that didn't help I cleaned everything very well and yesterday I tried a bore cleaner to remove any brass buildup that may have been in the chamber I used a .45 brush with patches and a drill to polish the chamber thinking it might have just been sticky? I plan on testing it again this weekend if that doesn't work any suggestions?
Did you try several brands of ammo? Some guns work flawlessly with certain types/brands of ammo and choke on others, especially semiautos.

I have cleaned the thing inside and out completely torn down and cleaned I have tried a few different types of ammo mainly winchester hunting rounds same problem I could try different ammo

I have cleaned the thing inside and out completely torn down and cleaned I have tried a few different types of ammo mainly winchester hunting rounds same problem I could try different ammo
Try some FMJ first. If it feeds those reliably, then move on to soft points. It may take some experimentation to find out what your rifle performs best with.

I will try some fmj but its an extraction problem not a feeding problem so the bullet itself shouldn't make a difference I inspected the spent cases and they looked ok no cracks or bulges it is hunting rifle so I needs to function and use hollow points otherwise its useless.

So I test fired it again Sunday and it failed to extract and after letting the bolt slam on the empty case it got stuck had to give the bolt a slam off the post at the range to extract the case not sure if I should replace extractor springs and extractor.

I had one, as well.

I found it needed to be cleaned early and often.

The one I had, had a little bit of piston deterioration, but not bad. I was able to halt it with a good cleaning, greasing, and storage in a dry environment. IT was obvious by the smell of the wood and the deterioration, that it had been kept in a damp environment like a humid basement.

Also, I greased the hell out of the whole action. Not messy, just made sure I grease-polished with Tetra. That helped a lot.

It is also a bit finicky. I can only shoot good .308 brass ammo through it. The best for me was Winchester and Remington, new.

On average, since it is not a sprayer, I got about 24 - 48 round through it before it was fouled to the point of extraction failure.

Bottom line:
Use good new brass casing ammo.
Clean it very thoroughly and often, especially at the mouth of the barrel.

ALSO, has the firing pin been replaced yet?
There was a recall on the firing pins and a replacement shortly after they first came out.
Winchester is STILL honoring it after 40 years. You send them the firing pin, they send you a replacement, a guide piece for it, and $50 dollar gift card to have it put in by a smith. It is easy enough to do on your own and pocket the gift card.
Just call it in first, so they can get the serial #.

Last but not least, that breakdown video is awesome and greatly helped me disassemble when I was new to the gun.

EDIT: Just noticed the FMJ comment. That also made a big positive difference.

Last edited:
I had one, as well.

I found it needed to be cleaned early and often.

The one I had, had a little bit of piston deterioration, but not bad. I was able to halt it with a good cleaning, greasing, and storage in a dry environment. IT was obvious by the smell of the wood and the deterioration, that it had been kept in a damp environment like a humid basement.

Also, I greased the hell out of the whole action. Not messy, just made sure I grease-polished with Tetra. That helped a lot.

It is also a bit finicky. I can only shoot good .308 brass ammo through it. The best for me was Winchester and Remington, new.

On average, since it is not a sprayer, I got about 24 - 48 round through it before it was fouled to the point of extraction failure.

Bottom line:
Use good new brass casing ammo.
Clean it very thoroughly and often, especially at the mouth of the barrel.

ALSO, has the firing pin been replaced yet?
There was a recall on the firing pins and a replacement shortly after they first came out.
Winchester is STILL honoring it after 40 years. You send them the firing pin, they send you a replacement, a guide piece for it, and $50 dollar gift card to have it put in by a smith. It is easy enough to do on your own and pocket the gift card.
Just call it in first, so they can get the serial #.

Last but not least, that breakdown video is awesome and greatly helped me disassemble when I was new to the gun.

EDIT: Just noticed the FMJ comment. That also made a big positive difference.

I did completely strip it and clean it and polish the chamber I also talked to winchester today and they said if I ship them my old firing pin they will ship the upgraded one even though its unrelated to the problem I guess I can try new extractor springs next

I did completely strip it and clean it and polish the chamber I also talked to winchester today and they said if I ship them my old firing pin they will ship the upgraded one even though its unrelated to the problem I guess I can try new extractor springs next

Sorry, didn't mean to imply it was part of the extraction problem. Just that it was something to swap out. According to what I've read, it was causing some rifles to discharge another round with the chamber ajar due to bending of the pin.

Let me know if you do the extractor springs, please. If that fixes the problem, that will be my next project.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply it was part of the extraction problem. Just that it was something to swap out. According to what I've read, it was causing some rifles to discharge another round with the chamber ajar due to bending of the pin.

Let me know if you do the extractor springs, please. If that fixes the problem, that will be my next project.

There Is an upgraded extractor kit available thru nuline guns $40.00 but I'm broke this week so I just got the springs for now $2.50 I will let you know how it turns out

The only experience I have with the 100 is shooting one a few times . I thought it was a neat rifle . Here is a vid on a complete disassemble to give it a good clean . In my experience when autos are failing to cycle they are dirty . Hope this helps . Gunsmithing: Winchester Model 100 Disassembly .308 (Gunworks) - YouTube
I have had the same problem . The has been consistent. 160 grain or less factory loads . Turn the rifle upside down withe the clip out and drop 2 to 3 drops of heavy gun oil on the bolt , after cleaning . Consensus of theorys is with the heavier grain bullet it builds too much gas pressure and blows the bolt back to aggressively therefore leaving the case behind. Since going with below 160 grain bullets I've never had a case left behind.

The extractor on the 100 is rather famous for failing. Have teeth sharpened on the exteacter and you're good to go. I have a 100 carbine. Had the same problem. Sharpened the extracter and now it runs perfectly. Sorry I'm late to this party.

Back
Top Bottom