Winchester model 1901

KAV

I just received my dad's 10 gauge that i remember shooting with him when i was a kid. i would love to continue this tradition with my son. i realize that the modern ammo is not suited for this gun. Can anyone help me with some advise on how to reload this ammo and where to get materials. i believe they are 2-7/8 inch casings.
thanks for any help you can offer.

The only way it wouldn't be appropriate for "modern ammo" is if it is an older DAMASCUS STEEL type barrel. Those guns have to be loaded with black powder propellant shells.
If it's NOT damascus, then it would be steel, and you should be able to use modern shells in it.

Do some reading up on damascus steel, and also on the history of your dad's gun, and determine if it's made from damascus steel.

If it's regular modern steel, then you should be all set to go to the store and buy modern 10 ga shells.

10 ga, by the way, is one hell of a kick when shot. Not a good gun to start a youngster on. A 410 is what most kids would like to start on.

By the way, some good reading here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1887/1901

Thanks for your reply, it seems that after some research that this gun does not have a damascus barrel and is indeed made for smokeless powder. I was able to buy ammo although i have yet to see a store carrying 10 gauge in 2-7/8. yes i realize about the kick of this gun and i had no intention as giving this to my son for his first shooting experience. i will wait some years from now as my father did for me until he gets more comfortable with smaller calibers and gauges.

Whether or not these are of any use, I know Hansen's in Southport, CT had some 10g Black Powder Blank cartridges on the counter. Someone ordered them and balked on buying them, I think. There's a fella (chantry) on "ctshooting.com" that loads blackpowder for a 10g, but I'm of little help to you.

RSTSHELLS.COM I found 10 ga 2 7/8" shells there. It says they are low recoiling as well, which seems like it would help your intended purpose. I would buy some while they are still available and save for when your boy is ready. Good luck and happy shooting with your son.

Kenny

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom