• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program(Locations,Trainers)

Why not just do it on your own. I think for the first few levels its based on trust. At some point you need "witness " to your scores.
Some clubs may or may not participate in the nra qualifications. At Hanson rod and gun for 5 bucks you can sign up for the shotgun program shooting trap. It took me a little why but eventually got distinguished expert. Got a nice certificate
I been meaning to turn in my rifle scores from cmp but forget....

We use it for our junior rifle program at Mystic.

A stated above, you can do it on your own. Since you can buy the patches, you're on your honor as to what you sew on, anyways.

Our Club uses it for the Trap and Junior Rifle program; I'm also doing it freestyle for Pistol and Handgun (they're different categories) with my kids.

The only level that requires a witness is Distinguished Expert. The only patch that you need a trainer for is the Basic Practical - that comes with completion of a Basic [insert type of gun here] Class, which is why they're part of the Basic Student Packet.

What discipline were you thinking of?

Reviving this. Looking to get into Rimfire Rifle and Tactical Rifle Qualifications, but my only concern is that I didn't take the NRA Basic Pistol course which is necessary...Can anyone shed some light on this or am I gonna have to spend another hundred bucks just to re-take what I had to do for my LTC?

Reviving this. Looking to get into Rimfire Rifle and Tactical Rifle Qualifications, but my only concern is that I didn't take the NRA Basic Pistol course which is necessary...Can anyone shed some light on this or am I gonna have to spend another hundred bucks just to re-take what I had to do for my LTC?

The practical, which is part of the basic pistol course, is recommended but not required for the Winchester program.

http://mqp.nra.org
  • Basic Practical Rating
The Basic Practical rating is recommended for all participants, but is not a required rating in the qualification program. This rating is obtained by completing the practical exercise conducted during an NRA basic course of instruction. The Basic Practical skill rocker is included in all basic course student packets and is awarded by the NRA instructor upon successful completion of the course.

Hey, how about that! Makes my life quite a lot easier.

Is the typical way of getting targets online, or are there local retailers? I priced one online store out and it was $143 just for targets!

Go to a gun show.

Not sure what you need for the Tactical Rifle, but IIRC the Rimfire Rifle qual is just the standard bullseye targets, and you can download them. Since it's a self-monitored program, you will be deciding whether it's a 10 or 9. Don't stress it.

You may also want to check around your club, and see if you can get others to play along. Nothing like trying to keep ahead (or trying to catch up) to keep it real.

Oh, BTW....my "Practical" rocker was earned after I got Distinguished Expert on my Shotgun Qual... [laugh]

I am looking for an NRA member who can witness my try at Distinguished Expert in Basic Pistol. Ideally we could meet at Mass Firearms School. Witness must know their NRA member number. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom