Winchester Super X .22LR

Garys

NES Member
I went to the range to do some shooting with my Ruger 10/22. I brought along 2 100 round boxes of Winchester Super X ammunition. This is stuff I picked up at Walmart a year or so ago.

When I started firing, I experienced a 20-25% failure to fire rate. The primers were dented, but no ignition. I put the rounds into my Walter P22 and had the same results. I also had one box of CCI .22LR and had no failures at all, so I know it's not the guns.

I've contacted Winchester and am waiting for their reply.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I don't now. When I bought it, there was little .22 available anywhere. I grabbed three sleeves and my wife grabbed three sleeves.

Oh, please bring back the uh, well endowed girl, avatar. Much nicer to look at. ;)

It was removed for being offensive...a screen grab from the Sesame St. children's show.

What can I say?

That super x in the red plastic box had the worst accuracy out of all the different varieties of 22 I've tried in 10/22s, however it all went bang for me. I shot 2 boxes and gave the other 2 away. Figured maybe they would work better in somebody else's gun.

I didn't have a problem with the accuracy, when it would actually go bang. I was just plinking at steel targets, so I didn't need really good stuff. Just stuff that would fire.

That super x in the red plastic box had the worst accuracy out of all the different varieties of 22 I've tried in 10/22s, however it all went bang for me. I shot 2 boxes and gave the other 2 away. Figured maybe they would work better in somebody else's gun.

- - - Updated - - -

You had that about three years and NOW someone finds it offensive? What is NES turning into?

Don't answer that, it might offend someone. [rolleyes]

It was removed for being offensive...a screen grab from the Sesame St. children's show.

What can I say?

I didn't have a problem with the accuracy, when it would actually go bang. I was just plinking at steel targets, so I didn't need really good stuff. Just stuff that would fire.

- - - Updated - - -

You had that about three years and NOW someone finds it offensive? What is NES turning into?

Don't answer that, it might offend someone. [rolleyes]

I seriously doubt anyone had a problem with it, but I was surprised it was swept out with all the stuff that you might not want your mom or daughter to see here.

I have some I bought a year or so ago and it had a 10% failure to go bang rate. I wont buy it anymore. It was expensive junk as far as i was concerned. When 22 was scarce the quality of everything was bad with the exception of CCI and Norma. I don't mind a few duds in the bulk pack stuff but at 8-10 cents a round I expect them to go bang. I shoot my MKIII and 10/22 a lot and I had issues with them in both. I called Winchester and got no satisfaction. I has similar issues with some Federal and they replaced it with twice the amount I had left with no question.

Just got a box. West Boylston Walmart had a lot of that in stock a week or two ago. For the price, I thought this was premium stuff.

I just got a phone call from Winchester CS. They want the remaining six boxes back and are sending me a pre paid shipping label. Engineering wants to look at the ammunition and see if they can figure out what happened. They are going to send me a refund check as well.

My suggestion is that if you have any of this and you experience misfires go to their site and fill out a CS form. It might be best if you don't do what I did, which is shoot the entire box.

Is is supposed to be.

It's Winchester "premium" line. Doesn't make it premium. I have no idea what Winchester runs these days. There where a few different levels of Winchester X ammo when I was shooting 22s a lot. One of the better was T22 target another the boxes where actually marked "match" .
Not even sure if Winchester still makes its own 22 rim fire any more. Winchester used have a slogan "we do it right" but Olin Corp has licensed Winchester brand out to who ever wants to pay. I would not be surprised if ATK makes 22lr for Winchester?

Just got a box. West Boylston Walmart had a lot of that in stock a week or two ago. For the price, I thought this was premium stuff.

Walmart rte 138 Raynham had it this morning. I passed on that bot bought 2 boxes of the 333 round stuff. I kept the receipt, just in case.

Winchester rimfire ammo has sucked a$$ lately. The 333 and 555 bulk packs wont even fit in my revolver!!!! They are that inconsistent in size!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Walmart rte 138 Raynham had it this morning. I passed on that bot bought 2 boxes of the 333 round stuff. I kept the receipt, just in case.
Good luck....cant even use those in my revolver lately!

Super x works pretty well in my 10/22. Tried in my P22 and 50% of them wouldn't even cycle the slide, some of those even got stuck in the chamber and I had to manually extract them.

It's Winchester "premium" line. Doesn't make it premium. I have no idea what Winchester runs these days. There where a few different levels of Winchester X ammo when I was shooting 22s a lot. One of the better was T22 target another the boxes where actually marked "match" .
Not even sure if Winchester still makes its own 22 rim fire any more. Winchester used have a slogan "we do it right" but Olin Corp has licensed Winchester brand out to who ever wants to pay. I would not be surprised if ATK makes 22lr for Winchester?

I think these days, when it says "match", it means it uses old match heads for primer and powder.

Does anyone here know where in the US ammunition is manufactured? Any ammunition. OK, how about now specifically .22 ammunition? Is it even made here now, or is it all in China? I still don't get why there is such scarcity. I understand a lot of people bought guns after Newtown, and others just stocked up on ammo, but you'd think they'd be caught up by now.

I think these days, when it says "match", it means it uses old match heads for primer and powder.

Does anyone here know where in the US ammunition is manufactured? Any ammunition. OK, how about now specifically .22 ammunition? Is it even made here now, or is it all in China? I still don't get why there is such scarcity. I understand a lot of people bought guns after Newtown, and others just stocked up on ammo, but you'd think they'd be caught up by now.

The largest manufacture of ammunition in the USA is ATK or to make things simple the sub company Vista outdoors which owns the brands
Federal , CCI , alliant, estate, Idependence , American Egle , Blazer Just to name some of the 50 or so brand's in the gun industry.
The government owns the largest ammunition facility in the USA Lake City Army Ammunition Plant....which ATK leases and runs.
The secound largest is also government owned in Florida.
Olin Corp. Owns a good amount of plants that produce brass,primers How much Olin is actually making these days I do not know. "Winchester" is a licensing whore who Olin will let anyone use if they pay enough.
As for how much 22lr can be produced well a lot but you have to remember in the last 10 years there has been 2 huge increases in ammo and gun sales.
Also with the price of ammo getting crazy back 05-06 everyone and thier uncles dug out the 22s only to make things worse come Obama sale I & II.
Think of it like this.
There's aprox 3000 Wal-Mart's for agument sakes lets Just say all of them sell ammo.
For arguments lets say they sell 10k rounds of 22lr per month per store that's 360,000,000 rounds.... And I would say 10k per mouth is low. That's 2 cases.
Now I seen a show where one of the manufactures can put out 4million rounds of 22lr a day. So that's 90 days just to keep up with Wal-Mart.
Another reference is the CMP recieved aprox 7500 CASES of 22lr as surplus from the army and it sold out 28th in a few days... That's 37 million rounds right there.
It's hard to fathom home much 22lr gets used up. A serious shooting team will even small ones burn through 100k easy per year. In my youth and peak of my 22 plinking days 20k just in the summer months was not hard to do...

I was looking around for more info....so I have to go on memory
Somewhere I read that all the 22lr manufactures in the use produce 5 Billion rounds of 22lr per year...at max production.
Which is about 275,000 rounds per day per state. Or 273 people a day shooting 1000 rounds...or something like that.

Also throw in the recent boom in New 22 based firearms.....there really has not been any new model 22s introduced in the past 20 years vs the last 5.

Also a,huge increase in 22lr based matches and competitions...along with conversion kits for many center fire guns.

Back
Top Bottom