• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter lubrication?

I've noticed water will accumulated inside my S&W 10-15 pistol when it's spent time in the cold then brought into a warm house, so a little WD40 in the internals occasionally is good PM
Yes, this will happen. Especially if you store your stuff in a really dry warm area ,like basement with a wood stove and then it goes outside in the freezing cold and comes back inside .It also f***s with scopes adjustments

Definitely not disagreeing with thin engine oil, ATF, or CLP. Have tried all and all have been fine.

For things that I think need to be greased, I like Redline engine assembly lube.

Lately, I've been using TriFlow for a light weight oil and it's been great. I started using it as a slide lubricant on old non roller bearing Snap On toolboxes.

Anyone shot the cold weather Appleseed qual to get the frost badge?
about 12 years ago my son and I did the 2 day winterseed in New Hampshire. Weather was about 10 degrees and about 8 inches of snow on the ground. Had so much fun!! We burned through .22 ammo like it was going out of style. Had Ruger 10-22 rifles- 1 with irons and 1 with a scope. Brought something like 12 magazines along too. Dont' ask about the badge.

So I am scratching my head over a new AR build problem I had at the range yesterday evening. Temperature was around 26F and once I started having a problem, the BCG and firing pin did seem to be gummed up. This was on a SBR .458 SOCOM that I was sorting out and also using to abuse a Pinty red dot LOL.

Started off firing OK but then I began to get light primer strikes and a couple misfires. I dry fired it a couple times and it seemed OK, so I loaded one round into the chamber and BOOM! Slam fire! (A perfect reminder why you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep that pew pew pointed in a safe direction!) The primer on that one looks pierced. This was when I noticed the BCG and firing pin seemed gummy if not frozen up. F it, it was time to go home and diagnose.

At home I tore down the BCG and could not find anything wrong with it other than it was really wet with lube. I'm using a Tromix barrel and headspaced bolt combo with an Aero nitrided BCG. IIRC I used squirt bottle RemOil on this? Not exactly sure. Bit of a head scratcher and having a .458 SBR discharge unexpectedly was almost a shorts changer. [laugh] That round went straight down range thankfully but if I had been holding it muzzle up it would have made a rather large vent in our new pavilion roof.

Oh, the stupid $5 Pinty red dot was tracking perfectly while sighting in and then held its position just fine. [smile]

So I am scratching my head over a new AR build problem I had at the range yesterday evening. Temperature was around 26F and once I started having a problem, the BCG and firing pin did seem to be gummed up. This was on a SBR .458 SOCOM that I was sorting out and also using to abuse a Pinty red dot LOL.

Started off firing OK but then I began to get light primer strikes and a couple misfires. I dry fired it a couple times and it seemed OK, so I loaded one round into the chamber and BOOM! Slam fire!
What kind of primers?

My knee jerk reaction would be to use #41 if small primer brass, #34 if large primer brass, and just enough TriFlow to wipe the surfaces of the bolt parts and try again.

Last edited:
Didn't read everyone's comments:

Out in the desert with dust the consistency of talcum powder, I started using graphite to protect my firearms. When I went to Maine, I continued the practice. I've shot in -20 temps with no issues from a standard level 3 holster. We rode snowmobiles to the range, so it had time to get plenty cold.

Edit: DAMMITALLTOHELL, literally the post above this one......

What kind of primers?

My knee jerk reaction would be to use #41 if small primer brass, #34 if large primer brass, and just enough TriFlow to wipe the surfaces of the bolt parts and try again.
Large Pistol Magnum, if I recall correctly. That's the recommended primer for my IMR 4198 loads. I have shot literally thousands of identical rounds through another .458 that I built and a few from this upper on a pistol lower.

I have some TriFlow but it's getting a little thick. I may try some G96 applied very lightly. I need to do some more investigating on this one- never had this problem.

Large Pistol Magnum, if I recall correctly. That's the recommended primer for my IMR 4198 loads. I have shot literally thousands of identical rounds through another .458 that I built and a few from this upper on a pistol lower.

I have some TriFlow but it's getting a little thick. I may try some G96 applied very lightly. I need to do some more investigating on this one- never had this problem.
I am just spitballing based on the floating firing pin. No experience with the round at all, let alone in an AR platform. I have played around with a bunch of different pistol and rifle primers in stuff they're not supposed to be used in.

The thing I like about TriFlow is that it doesn't take a lot, it's thin, and after most of the carrier evaporates away it still works. It doesn't seem to get pushed out of the areas its there to lubricate. I had tried various things over several years like wheel bearing grease and ATF to lube old friction style toolbox slides, before everything had ball bearings. Picked up an old Snap On box and was going through it to clean everything up and on a whim tried TriFlow on the slides. Was impressed how well the drawers worked even months later. So I started trying in on my guns, and aside from moly lube on some sears, it's kind of all I use now. But I'm not rolling around in the sand with my guns, and if it's 10 degrees out I'm probably not laying on the concrete pad on the rifle range.

Last edited:
Colloidal graphite suspended in isopropyl alcohol aka Neolube!

Still have some left over from Navy days. I use it when I remember I have it... supposedly the bees knees for lubricating stuff.

Mostly I just use Mobil 1 / Motul leftovers in a little Amazon dispenser with the needle tip.

I am just spitballing based on the floating firing pin. No experience with the round at all, let alone in an AR platform. I have played around with a bunch of different pistol and rifle primers in stuff they're not supposed to be used in.

The thing I like about TriFlow is that it doesn't take a lot, it's thin, and after most of the carrier evaporates away it still works. It doesn't seem to get pushed out of the areas its there to lubricate. I had tried various things over several years like wheel bearing grease and ATF to lube old friction style toolbox slides, before everything had ball bearings. Picked up an old Snap On box and was going through it to clean everything up and on a whim tried TriFlow on the slides. Was impressed how well the drawers worked even months later. So I started trying in on my guns, and aside from moly lube on some sears, it's kind of all I use now. But I'm not rolling around in the sand with my guns, and if it's 10 degrees out I'm probably not laying on the concrete pad on the rifle range.
Actually my old Snap On tool chests need to be lubed. I'll try the Tri Flow. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom