• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter lubrication?

I have a reasonably tight fitting 1911 and normally use Wilson Ultima or Slip grease or SFL-1
but with winter, I find it all thickens up to the point where the 1911 won't eject at all.

Do you guys change out to a lighter, more oily lube for the colder months?
First I thought this thread about about personal lubrication.

Then I thought it was about the OP owning a Porsche and flexing on the poors.

Then I realized I am just drunk.

Forget about grease. Use CLP. Done.
Apply liberaly, then wipe.

I use CLP when I’m cleaning my firearms. I also have Remoil in an aerosol can I bring in my range bag. I generally spray some remoil on the friction areas before I shoot.

G96 is pretty good in very cold conditions. Marvel Mystery Oil is also a good cold weather oil.

RemOil is horrible below 15 degrees. It actually gums up to the point of forming tiny chunks.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Once the aresol carrier in WD-40 evaporates, I leaves a sticky residue. I don't care if you have been using it for 40 years, it is NOT a good lube for guns. I'll use it in a pinch to help cleaning but prefer non-chlorinated brake cleaner for that task if aerosol is required.

My friend unloads all types of WD products from train tankers and cans the stuff for distribution. He knows quite a bit about its properties.

I like Mobil1 for lubrication of semi-autos.

Found it.

• Ultima-Lube II Lite Oil: Very low viscosity. Ideal for extreme cold weather use. Recommended Uses: Tightly fitted handguns of minor caliber.
    • Item number 621-2, 621-4
  • Ultima-Lube II Oil: Thin viscosity penetrates hard-to-get-to areas. Ideal for cold weather use, 10° to 350° F temperature range. Recommended Uses: Tightly fitted handguns of all types.
    • Item number 577-2, 577-4
  • Ultima-Lube II Universal: All-purpose lube for all types of firearms. Stays put under extreme conditions, 40° to 350° F temperature range. Recommended Uses: Service pistols/revolvers and broken-in custom handguns, Long guns of all action types, AR-style rifles in the 20° to 50° F temperature range.
    • Item number 578-2, 578-4

G96 is pretty good in very cold conditions. Marvel Mystery Oil is also a good cold weather oil.

RemOil is horrible below 15 degrees. It actually gums up to the point of forming tiny chunks.
Anything Remington is sh*t.

My stuff always goes bang with the Remoil. Of course, CLP has also always worked for me as well.
Most guns will go "bang" with no oil. Most people over think it.

That doesn't mean Remoil is good stuff, I still think it is sh*t.

Good to know. My question is why the hell are you shooting in <15 degree weather?
LOL avatar checks out? I enjoy being out on a crisp winter day plus have had some fun testing gear and accuracy in extreme for New England cold. I think my record is minus 13? Shot a M1 Garand in minus 7 using my usual Mobil 1 grease for lube.

LOL avatar checks out? I enjoy being out on a crisp winter day plus have had some fun testing gear and accuracy in extreme for New England cold. I think my record is minus 13? Shot a M1 Garand in minus 7 using my usual Mobil 1 grease for lube.

Between this thread and the Gone in 60 seconds thread, it’s obvious I’ve gone soft in my middle age. [rofl]

Nonsense. It was developed by the Rocket Chemical Company to displace water on the Atlas rocket fuselage, that's true, but shortly thereafter they found that it's also an excellent solvent, penetrating oil, and lubricant.
I've been using it to clean and protect and lubricate my guns for over 40 years.
Note to self: don’t buy any 40 year old guns from this guy.

I have a reasonably tight fitting 1911 and normally use Wilson Ultima or Slip grease or SFL-1
but with winter, I find it all thickens up to the point where the 1911 won't eject at all.

Yes, for the EDC or anything else I'm going to shoot outside.

Get a better pistol - HK maybe.
It won't be so sensitive to the weather.

No.

I just always use synthetic motor oil to lube my guns. And I carry a Glock these days.

You need to either shoot that gun more often and loosen up the tolerances aka (clearances) or sparingly apply some lapping compound to the slide rails and work the action a few hundred times.

Any gun that is that temperature sensitive so as to malfunction with a change in ambient temperature is not reliable enough to carry.

Curious.......is it a Kimber?

Last edited:
I clean and oil/lube mine after each use and before putting them up. For solvents I've switched over to Hoppes elite. It's safe for all firearms. I have a couple smiths that have a painted surface like a 642 and other synthetic materials like plastic fantastics and it's safe for those also. I use rem-oil as a general coverage for storage by spaying everything and wiping it down. For lubing on the rails and metal on metal I use Hoppes gun oil with the precise applicator and Q-tips to spread it and remove any excess.

With lubing, too much is also as bad as to little and will gum up.

With rimfire's, prior to going to the range, I'll wipe the internals dry and spray them with Remi-dry lube. It really reduces the amount of build up that you get with them. A quick boresnakeing, wipe down with an old t-shirt and spray every couple hundred shots keeps me going the whole day.

Back
Top Bottom