Witnessed a Glock 22 KABOOM!

Most Glock kabooms in 40 seem to fail the same way. Case blows out on head, downward. I know the Glock 45s do this as well. Is this a function of weak case walls + the unsupported chamber?

.40 cal glocks do it all the time. IMHO its because the chamber is loose as **** on a Glock but it is worse in .40 S+W than any other chambering because .40 S&W has no headroom at all for pressure excursions.

If I was going to place a wager, 180gr bullets, probably reloads, possibly bullet setback, etc. It probably doesn't take much to get a full blown KB in a Glock .40. I briefly owned a G22 and had no issues, but boy did that gun **** up the
brass coming out of it. Pretty easy to see the 6oclock bulge with the right kind of light.

Yeah, the .45s blow up once in awhile too but I bet the difference in rate is enormous. Also, most of the .45 glock KBs that I've seen were either due to self-admitted overloads or otherwise simply defective ammunition. I've seen pics and reports of blown up glocks in every chambering; but the .40s are by far the worst in terms of the numbers. No other caliber comes close in KB rate on a Glock handgun. I would bet that conservatively 85% of Glock KBs are confined to G22, G23, and G27 pistols. The 35s and the 24s probably don't blow up at the same rate because a lot of competition types use those two and 65% of them run weaksauce barely above major PF reloads through theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the rate diminish when the OEM barrel is swapped out with an aftermarket barrel, say a lone wolf?

.40 cal glocks do it all the time. IMHO its because the chamber is loose as **** on a Glock but it is worse in .40 S+W than any other chambering because .40 S&W has no headroom at all for pressure excursions.

If I was going to place a wager, 180gr bullets, probably reloads, possibly bullet setback, etc. It probably doesn't take much to get a full blown KB in a Glock .40. I briefly owned a G22 and had no issues, but boy did that gun **** up the
brass coming out of it. Pretty easy to see the 6oclock bulge with the right kind of light.

Yeah, the .45s blow up once in awhile too but I bet the difference in rate is enormous. Also, most of the .45 glock KBs that I've seen were either due to self-admitted overloads or otherwise simply defective ammunition. I've seen pics and reports of blown up glocks in every chambering; but the .40s are by far the worst in terms of the numbers. No other caliber comes close in KB rate on a Glock handgun. I would bet that conservatively 85% of Glock KBs are confined to G22, G23, and G27 pistols. The 35s and the 24s probably don't blow up at the same rate because a lot of competition types use those two and 65% of them run weaksauce barely above major PF reloads through theirs.

What about the 9mm, Mike? (which is what I own, exclusively.. G17, G26 and G43...)

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I missed the sarcasm as well. Baer took the position that it was a problem with the ammunition is how I read your subsequent comments. Is that correct?

You missed my sarcasm when I said "Les stood by his product and offered a $50 discount off the full purchase price of a new one". I trust the metallurgical analysis more than I trust Les's word it was a "forged" frame. The metal of the frame was also very soft - measured 10 on the B scale. The failure was the frame splitting to the point where the mainspring housing fell out with the retaining pin intact.

I used to own a G23, but didn't like shooting it. Whether that was the caliber or the design, I can't really say. I sold it and went back to 9mm. Which is a different story.

I can't remember if the recommendation is not to reload .40 S&W shot through a Glock, or if it's not to use any reloads in a Glock 40 S&W. Or both.

Last edited:
FWIW, I missed the sarcasm as well. Baer took the position that it was a problem with the ammunition is how I read your subsequent comments. Is that correct?

Yup, you got it right. I also know the guy who owned that rather expensive 1911 and saw the frame damage.

Worst one I have ever seen. It was most likely an overcharged load, (to what extent, we will never know) however that frame split like nobody's business.

You've got to be shitting me.

At that price point...

Not the first issue I've heard. Mine started having a following hammer. Turned out the sear wasn't hardened at all. (supposed to be fully hardened) Had the internals replaced with known good parts and all is well, but would never buy from Les again. Maybe this is why he's never been interested in going though the approval process.

What about the 9mm, Mike? (which is what I own, exclusively.. G17, G26 and G43...)

They all can blow up- I've seen pics of 9mms and .357 Sig blown up, although it is worth mentioning that it's probably the least likely in those two calibers, particularly 9mm.

It's not even worth worrying about in 9mm, frankly. Even if I was into .40 I wouldn't care much- the .40 glock kaboom syndrome, while statistically significant, is still, in relative terms, pretty
rare.

-Mike

You've got to be shitting me.

At that price point...

Les Beer is the other overrated 1911 brand. Before I read robs account, I also heard the "Les Beer Break In Policy". Some of thier pistols they literally told you to like fire X shots through it, clean, lube it, fire again, etc, until you went X number of rounds for the gun to break itself in so it wouldn't jam. I realize people want a tight gun but that just seems like full retard stupidity and/or poor workmanship to me. That shit should be done at the factory at that price point.

Not the first issue I've heard. Mine started having a following hammer. Turned out the sear wasn't hardened at all. (supposed to be fully hardened) Had the internals replaced with known good parts and all is well, but would never buy from Les again. Maybe this is why he's never been interested in going though the approval process.

That sounds like something Para Ordnance would do... [rofl]

-Mike

Les Beer is the other overrated 1911 brand. Before I read robs account, I also heard the "Les Beer Break In Policy". Some of thier pistols they literally told you to like fire X shots through it, clean, lube it, fire again, etc, until you went X number of rounds for the gun to break itself in so it wouldn't jam. I realize people want a tight gun but that just seems like full retard stupidity and/or poor workmanship to me. That shit should be done at the factory at that price point.

My Dan Wesson PM9 came with instructions for breakin. I followed them exactly and didn't have any issues. Then again, DW makes awesome 1911's at a fraction of the cost of a Les.

A glock fortay going kaboom?
63594749.jpg

Back
Top Bottom