Womans Life Spared Because Of "Defective" Bullet

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/24321505/detail.html

Click the link for pics and video.

Granted the media is perpetually gun-ignorant, and always finds a way to report gun facts wrong, this story still doesn't add up. I'm guessing that it was a revolver, but the report doesn't say exactly what kind of gun was used.
The photo shows two rounds, a .38 Spl and a .40 S&W, one with a backwards primer, the other was in sideways, but the text below the photo says it's installed correctly. [rolleyes]
The last photo shows a split case with the bullet is still in place.

"She was trying to get him to move out and I guess things came to blows at quarter to 5 this morning," said Nancy Kadyk, who lives nearby.

Probably not a good time to bring up the "get out of my house" thing. Very impressive article and video on "defective bullets", though. I really learned a lot.

My guess is the powder failed to burn, for whatever reason. Which would mean the primer was the only thing that went off, propelling the bullet, but at very low velocity.

The reporting is so bad in this story it's likely impossible to find out what actually happened. [laugh]

-Mike

My guess is the powder failed to burn, for whatever reason. Which would mean the primer was the only thing that went off, propelling the bullet, but at very low velocity.

Or there was never any powder in the case. People on NES have had squibs from factory ammo because of this. Rare, but it does happen. I think LemansC6 (forget his full username) said he just got a squib in a box of 9mm WWB.

-Mike

Once circumstance that leads to the powder failing to ignite is when the manufacturer loads the case before the solution used to clean the case has fully dried. The powder then forms a hard cake that won't ignite and remains in the case, where it can be chipped out. I saw this several times a few years ago. When ammo demand skyrocketed, some manufacturers increased the speed on their production lines to where this was happening with some batches. Once the problem was identified (and they had to replace a lot of ammo), they dialed back the lines slightly and I haven't seen this problem recently.

Once upon a time you could buy paint rounds for center fire pistols. The rounds used a 38 primer for the charge. From what I've heard they his about as hard as a standard paint ball gun. So she probably got a pretty good whack to the face.

Once upon a time you could buy paint rounds for center fire pistols. The rounds used a 38 primer for the charge. From what I've heard they his about as hard as a standard paint ball gun. So she probably got a pretty good whack to the face.

Yup, I've seen those. Though a bullet weighs more than a paint capsule, so it probably wasn't moving as fast. It is made of metal, which could still do some real damage.

Back
Top Bottom