• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worcester District Court - Checking In LTC

So I had to report to jury duty today at the Worcester district court. I was trying to find info on the legality whether or not you
could bring your firearm in and just check it in with security before proceeding to court. I only seemed to find some wishy-washy
info on if it was okay or not, and I didn't want to risk losing my LTC for exercising my rights, so I didn't bring my CCW with me
(begrudgingly.. it IS Worcester after all).

On my way out of the building I had to go claim something that got nabbed by security (I always have my mosin nagant firing pin
tool clipped to my carabiner for my keys so it doesn't get lost and forgot it was there), and I saw a guy from the jury pool pull out
his LTC and hand it to a security officer, and proceed to fill out paperwork then head into a room. I caught up with him on the way
out and asked him if he was a cop, and asked him about the process. He said he wasn't a cop, and that they have about 26 or so
lock boxes for people to store items before going through security. All you have to to is go up to the security guys and give them
your LTC, and explain your situation and they will help you out with it. I also saw him doing some paperwork before he left, so I don't
know what information you have to give them to do the process, but apparently there is one.

So I had to report to jury duty today at the Worcester district court. I was trying to find info on the legality whether or not you
could bring your firearm in and just check it in with security before proceeding to court. I only seemed to find some wishy-washy
info on if it was okay or not, and I didn't want to risk losing my LTC for exercising my rights, so I didn't bring my CCW with me
(begrudgingly.. it IS Worcester after all).

On my way out of the building I had to go claim something that got nabbed by security (I always have my mosin nagant firing pin
tool clipped to my carabiner for my keys so it doesn't get lost and forgot it was there), and I saw a guy from the jury pool pull out
his LTC and hand it to a security officer, and proceed to fill out paperwork then head into a room. I caught up with him on the way
out and asked him if he was a cop, and asked him about the process. He said he wasn't a cop, and that they have about 26 or so
lock boxes for people to store items before going through security. All you have to to is go up to the security guys and give them
your LTC, and explain your situation and they will help you out with it. I also saw him doing some paperwork before he left, so I don't
know what information you have to give them to do the process, but apparently there is one.

+1 for the info!

Now, if only they would do this at:
Fenway, Gillette, and other major sports and music stadiums and civic centers.
Mass. Statehouse and Ashburton Place
All sorts of other stupid places they prohibit carry and don't provide storage.

You can also check a gun at the SJC. I stopped into a local court house to see a friend and didn't even have to check my gun. The guard didn't seem too concerned about the metal detector going off.

+1 for the info!

Now, if only they would do this at:
Fenway, Gillette, and other major sports and music stadiums and civic centers.
Mass. Statehouse and Ashburton Place
All sorts of other stupid places they prohibit carry and don't provide storage.

If gun free zones are going to exist, I agree with this but I do not agree with gun free zones in the first place. I would be hesitant to hand in my firearm at a checkpoint. It advertises "hey I have a gun. Follow me to my car."

I have been checking the pistola at court for a long time. Brockton used to have boxes. They would lock it in the box and give you a slip to retrieve it once you leave the building.

I was at Salem not too long ago and they wouldn't even allow you to check in the cell phone.
The guy at the checkpoint said they couldn't hold personal property.
Had to do a 3 block mad dash back to the car to avoid being late.

1. If gun free zones are going to exist, I agree with this but I do not agree with gun free zones in the first place.

2. I would be hesitant to hand in my firearm at a checkpoint.

3. It advertises "hey I have a gun. Follow me to my car."

I kind of agree with 1 and 2. On 3, I think it would be the other way around.

I brought my CCW with me when I went to visit someone at BCHD. You should have seen the looks on the faces of the people in the check-in line when I disarmed. It was priceless. [laugh] They just threw it in one of the lock boxes. The guard who signed me in had a big shit-eating grin on his face the whole time. I think he got a kick out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya, more like. I have a gun. Go find yourself a liberal, there are plenty too chose from.

I had to sit on a jury, went through the detector the first day, every day after they just waived us in

I agree 99.99% of people wouldn't think or do anything malicious but I think anyone not only knowing you are carrying but also knowing what side and position your holster is in is highly disadvantageous especially if they can sneak up close to you from behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone had any experience with suffolk superior court? I have jury duty next month.

You will be checked. Metal detector, wand, keys and stuff in a little plastic bin before you go through. Security has been tight ever since the 1975 bombing, although it had nothing to do with people coming into the building.

ETA: I've never seen any evidence of lock boxes near the entrances.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff in here guys, never knew courthouses would do this for you.

You will be checked. Metal detector, wand, keys and stuff in a little plastic bin before you go through. Security has been tight ever since the 1975 bombing, although it had nothing to do with people coming into the building.

Do they have lock boxes?

Interesting stuff in here guys, never knew courthouses would do this for you.

State courthouses often will.

Federal courthouses will not, except sometimes of you a non-federal LEO without authority to carry in a federal building.

State courthouses often will.

Federal courthouses will not, except sometimes of you a non-federal LEO without authority to carry in a federal building.

You'd think for some thing like jury duty , they should have to store your weapon.
I see it like this you have todo jury duty and your forced to be disarmed . You don't have to go to the redsox .

I was thinking something kinda anal but could happen. You report for jury duty and for the last two days have been checking your sidearm in, no problem. On day 3 you go to check it in and the guard tells you that all the lock boxes are used and there isn't room for you. Now, you don't have time to bring the gun home so you're forced to lock it in your car.

I don't know about you guys but I don't feel good about leaving my gun in a public lot all day long.

I was thinking something kinda anal but could happen. You report for jury duty and for the last two days have been checking your sidearm in, no problem. On day 3 you go to check it in and the guard tells you that all the lock boxes are used and there isn't room for you. Now, you don't have time to bring the gun home so you're forced to lock it in your car.

I don't know about you guys but I don't feel good about leaving my gun in a public lot all day long.

. . . especially a courthouse parking lot, where some perp up on auto theft charges is let loose on personal recognizance and decides to steal your car to get home! [rolleyes]

Has anyone recently checked their CCW at Lawrence Superior? I read an older post about other courts in the state but none had info on LSC.

Back
Top Bottom