• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worn Recoil Spring?

pj150

NES Member
I'm pretty sure this is the problem but wanted to throw this out there to you guys.

New to me HK USP- runs fine but I can 'feel' the slide returning into battery as if you were to disengage the slide from a locked back position after firing a round. All the semi's I had fired prior to this, I could not feel the slide going into battery. All I would feel is the recoil and ready to shoot again. It's as if I needed to wait that split second for it to return before I pressed the trigger.

Since I have no clue on how many rds have been through this pistol with the current spring, I imagine that this is got to be it. I don't believe this is inherit in HKs or is it?

Other than that I can see why there are so many HK fanboys. Felt great and shot very accurately! Surprisingly so.

Replace it. I do that with any used pistol I buy. Just easier to have the peace of mind. I replace recoil spring in pistols I am running between 4 and 5 K rounds.

I would also carefully examine slide and frame rails jut to see if there are and burrs or odd wear marks.

Spring MFRs recommend replacement after about 3k rounds. I tend to to run them a lot longer but there is no harm in replacing them sooner. Cheap insurance.

OP-

as you likely know, the HK USP series has a dual stage "recoil reducing" guide rod. the HK guide rod is rather expensive but they do sell them on HKparts.net.

in general the USP guide rods/springs are believed to have exceptionally long life. if the gun is new and you're noticing issues w returning to battery, violent extraction or higher than normal recoil (all of which are consistent w underpowered recoil spring), then i would consider replacing it.

a few questions:

what chambering is your USP?
what is round count if known?
how old are your mags? are mag springs OK?

Lube the crap out of it my beretta was doing that last winter when I was using dry lube. Oil the ever living bejesus out of it and see if you still have your problem

Back
Top Bottom