XD40 mags in an XD9

richc

NES Member
I was reading a thread on another forum that said XD40 magazines will work properly in an XD9. Anyone know if this is true?

But here is the interesting part... the author said that a 10 round XD40 magazine allows for 15 rounds of 9mm.

So, if the magazine is postban and a legal 10 rounder for .40 caliber, clearly it is legal to posses in MA. But is it legal to use that mag in a XD9 with 15 rounds?

Hmmmm...

I was reading a thread on another forum that said XD40 magazines will work properly in an XD9. Anyone know if this is true?

But here is the interesting part... the author said that a 10 round XD40 magazine allows for 15 rounds of 9mm.

So, if the magazine is postban and a legal 10 rounder for .40 caliber, clearly it is legal to posses in MA. But is it legal to use that mag in a XD9 with 15 rounds?

Hmmmm...

This has been discussed here as the M&P works similarly. No it is not leagal to use your 40xd mag in your 9mm and actually you could be in trouble for just possessing the wrong combination.

This has been discussed here as the M&P works similarly. No it is not leagal to use your 40xd mag in your 9mm and actually you could be in trouble for just possessing the wrong combination.

Mike... I'm certainly not surprised. I'm guessing that just having both might violate the "constructive possession" aspects of the law.

But do you know why that is the case? Legal gun, legal mag, combination is illegal?

Thanks,

Rich

I'm no expert on MA law, but unless MA law is different than the underlying old Fed AWB, this is not correct.

Using 10-round XD40 mags as a "poor man's hi-cap" in the XD9 was all the rage during the Federal AWB. Somewhere I even have the letter from the BATF stating it was not illegal unless you modified the magazine so it would no longer function in the XD40.

When I get home tonight I'll scrounge up the letter and post it. You can also look on the XDTalk website. They may still have it.

ETA: Found it. Gotta love computers. The BATF letter is attached. Here's the Cliff Notes:
Your second question pertains to using a pre-ban or post-ban 10-round capacity .40 S&W caliber magazine in a 9mm pistol. Specifically you ask whether loading the caliber .40 S&W magazine with 9mm ammunition, which may increase the capacity of the magazine, would be making a new large capacity ammunition feeding device.

Additionally, the loading of 9mm ammunition into an existing unmodified 10-round .40 S&W caliber ammunition magazine, which may increase the capacity of the magazine, would not be making a new magazine.

Attachments

• BATF Hi-Cap Mag Letter.pdf
    173.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

i THOUGHT it was ok as long as the magazine still worked in the gun it was originally built for????? i.e. - using M&P40 mags in a M&P9 is ok as long as they still work in the M&P40.

or putting 12 rounds of 9mm in a 10rd glock 23 or glock 22 mag ect...

I'm no expert on MA law, but unless MA law is different than the underlying old Fed AWB, this is not correct.

Using 10-round XD40 mags as a "poor man's hi-cap" in the XD9 was all the rage during the Federal AWB. Somewhere I even have the letter from the BATF stating it was not illegal unless you modified the magazine so it would no longer function in the XD40.

When I get home tonight I'll scrounge up the letter and post it. You can also look on the XDTalk website. They may still have it.

+1 i believe this was the outcome that drgrant posted on the M&P thread. [smile]

So it appears that the ATF is OK with this notion... but what about Mass laws and regulations?

Inquiring minds want to know!

So what about using a 9mm replacement barrel in a XDX40. PistolGear.com recommends using the 9mm mags, but the 40 mags are supposed to work.
You would end up with a high cap 9mm instead of a 10 shot 40?

Of course here in CT this is one thing that we don't have to deal with - still stuck with all the other CT AWB etc.

Back
Top Bottom