Youth adult hunting and FID cards The Good the Bad and the Ugly

The good

Young adult hunters ages 12-14 years old
No hunting license required, No Fid required ( Must hunt with a Licensed adult hunter and share 1 gun)

Young adult hunters 15 + years old.
Must have their own hunting License and FID card. Must take hunters education course

The Bad

$100.00 Dollar fee for young adult FID card, No discount for young adult sporting license (discount only if hunting and fishing license are purchased separately)

And the Ugly

When a young adult hunter turns 15 they are not allowed to hunt with a shotgun or rifle until they obtain there FID card which they can not apply for until the turn 15 and then have to wait 6 + weeks for card to arrive if this happens during a hunting season the only thing a young adult hunter can use is a bow and arrow or a primitive firearm.
This just happened at our club to a young man in the young adult turkey program

Sorry for the Clint Eastwood quote (Make my day) sorry can’t help my self

Last edited:
Or just stay 14 until said FID card arrives................[smile]

Or take the class and get the card when he is 13. It's not all that hard guys.

You can not apply for a FID card until your 15th birthday and then you wait. If you are unlucky and your birthday is during a hunting season you can’t hunt with a rifle or shotgun until you get the card.

I don't think it is reasonable to charge a 15 year old $100.00 for an FID Card.

I help on the range and teach the ethics class for the young adult pheasant program at our sportsman’s club. You should not promote falsifying age to get around stupid laws I am just pointing out more things that need to change before we make any new laws. Maybe fix the old ones It is that hard.This is Massachusetts

Or just stay 14 until said FID card arrives................[smile]

Or take the class and get the card when he is 13
. It's not all that hard guys.

Really? Care to explain that blinding revelation?

The controlling statute sets a minimum age of 15.

I don't think it is reasonable to charge a 15 year old $100.00 for an FID Card.

I don't think its reasonable to charge at all..In CT there is nothing required (or age) to possess a long gun(Minus AW/MG)..and 12-15 year olds get a discounted license..11$ (19$ regular)

Time to call your Reps!

First of all would you kindly cite the law or excerpt from the abstracts?
I'm wondering where the big problem is. Are the environmental police checking Id's on the 12-15 year olds? Sounds to me like the kid could still hunt unlicensed with an adult until he gets the FID. Particularly if your first statement is true.
Young adult hunters ages 12-15 years old
No hunting license required, No Fid required ( Must hunt with a Licensed adult hunter and share 1 gun)

Massachusetts Fish and Wildlife

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

LICENSES ARE REQUIRED for all persons 15 years of age and over for hunting any bird or mammal; and/or for fishing the inland waters of Massachusetts. No freshwater (inland) fishing license is required on the Merrimack River seaward of the first upstream bridge (northbound traffic) of Route 495 in Haverhill.
A trapping license is required for persons 12 years and over.
Licenses must be shown on demand to any officer empowered to enforce these laws, and to landowners or lessees while on their property. No Firearms Identification (FID) card needed for bowhunting or if 12–14 years of age. Face of license must not be obscured.
NOTE: No adult may buy a hunting or sporting license unless (s)he shows the issuing agent any previous year's hunting or sporting license (from any state or province) or a certificate of completion of a Basic Hunter Education Course issued by any state or province.
MINORS 15–17 years of age must be licensed and have required stamps and permits to hunt any bird or mammal. To obtain a hunting license a minor must have a letter of consent from a parent or guardian, and either a Basic Hunter Education Certificate or a letter signed by a parent affirming that the minor will be accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older.
Minors between 12 and 14 inclusive may hunt when ac¬companied by a duly licensed adult, provided that a single bag limit shall be observed and only one firearm/bow is possessed by the two. Only one minor per adult is permitted.

Thank you Realtor MA I Edited the post to 12-14 year olds( my typo)

The hole in the law is that a youth can not apply for FID untill there 15th birthday and that same day you need a hunting license and a FID to hunt a hunting license you can prepair for and take a hunter safety course at 14 or earlier not so with the FID card.

APPLICATION FOR NEW/RENEWAL OF A FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD (FID) OR
LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS OR LICENSE TO POSSESS A MACHINE GUN

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/frb_fid_lic_app.pdf
3. WHAT IS YOUR AGE?* ____________ *YOU MUST BE 21 YEARS OF AGE TO APPLY FOR A LICENSE TO CARRY
FIREARMS, 18 YEARS OF AGE* TO APPLY FOR A FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD. * 15 YEARS OF AGE BUT LESS
THAN 18 YEARS OF AGE WITH SUBMISSION OF A CERTIFICATE FROM PARENT OR GUARDIAN GRANTING PERMISSION
TO APPLY FOR A FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD.

Well excuse me! When I took the HSC there were 13 and 14 year old's taking the class.

Which is a separate issue from receiving an FID Card - although it shows good planning.

I did not know that a FID could not be had until you are 15.

Yet felt competent to declare that a kid could "get the card when he is 13" and to further announce: " It's not all that hard guys."[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom