Yugo SKS light primer strikes after Wolf spring upgrade?

45collector

NES Member
Last weekend I shot my Yugo SKS for the first time since the last MFS shoot when the bolt jammed shut on a live round. That sucked. Ray was there, told me the timing may be off in the trigger group. I'm beginning to wonder if its acting up because of the Wolf spring kit I put in it to lighten the trigger up. I know I didn't screw anything up on the install. Trigger group is pretty robust on these things, it'd be hard to bend something. Anyhow I was getting misfires more often then ignition when I shot it last weekend. WTF? Check out the pic, does it look like the primers were hit hard enough to fire those rounds? Those are all misfires by the way. I was amazed these rounds didn't fire. Could it just be shitty ammo?

SKS002.jpg

I suspect it is combination of the lighter spring and shitty ammo but I would be very suspicious of the Wolf ammo you are using.

I do not buy Wolf anymore ever since I picked up a half case of it one time that would fail to fire about 1 out of every 20. At the time I had the exact concerns you did and went through a process of reinstalling the factory stock spring and testing with other rifles. Eventually I went down to the store and bought a few boxes of Golden Tiger and a few boxes of Brown Bear. I did not have a single failure with the new ammo. I then decided to never buy Wolf again. I expect better from my ammo. I know Wolf has "premium" ammo which I have never tried but if you are spending more $$ you might as well get a bran name you trust.

ETA: and looking at the pic I think those primers were hit plenty hard. I vote "shitty ammo"

-MS

ETA: and looking at the pic I think those primers were hit plenty hard. I vote "shitty ammo"

this. Those primers look like they got drilled pretty good by your firing pin.

I've had issues with Wolf ammo in one of my lighter striking AKs. When I use brown bear or yugoslav surplus, it works just fine.

I think I might still change back to the original springs regardless. The trigger weight didn't drop that much when I installed the Wolff kit.

Update:

If anyone cares, or will be fiddling with their SKS and could use this info, I did change the springs back to the originals that came with the gun, and it runs flawlessly now. I used the same batch of ammo from the picture in my first post. Yes the trigger is again as heavy as it was before the Wolff spring swap, but I just wanted to get it back to safe working condition.

Back
Top Bottom