Affordable Red Dot

Sam P

NES Member
As I have gotten older iron sights just don't cut it anymore. Some Red Dots are more than the price of the firearm you put it on. I do not carry for a living. I am just a range shooter. I understand you get what you pay for but does anyone have any experience with some of the more inexpensive Red Dots that will suffice for the ranger? The Dot Will be for handguns Glocks, Caniks and SIG.

Last edited:
I have holosun on my pistols and swampfox on my rifles. I went with those 2 specifically because they offer green dots (as well as red). I have an astigmatism, red dots look fuzzy for me.
Have you tried the 65moa circles with a dot in the middle? I don't know why but these looks pretty clear for those with astigmatism. HS503R if you don't want to pay the Eotech tax.

1715548368482.png

Have you tried the 65moa circles with a dot in the middle? I don't know why but these looks pretty clear for those with astigmatism. HS503R if you don't want to pay the Eotech tax.
agreed entirely for a range setup, until you get to the higher end holosun. i have a holosun AEMS and an eotech xps. i don't regret the AEMS (especially because I picked it up for a significant discount), but it's more than a $200 step down from the eotech.

agreed entirely for a range setup, until you get to the higher end holosun. i have a holosun AEMS and an eotech xps. i don't regret the AEMS (especially because I picked it up for a significant discount), but it's more than a $200 step down from the eotech.

Much longer battery life with the AEMS though.

As I have gotten older iron sights just don't cut it anymore. Some Red Dots are more than the price of the firearm you put it on. I do not carry for a living. I am just a range shooter. I understand you get what you pay for but does anyone have any experience with some of the more inexpensive Red Dots that will suffice for the ranger?
Take a look at Swampfox - I have 2 versions (RMR size & small smith footprint) both work very well.

For a cheap red dot, the Vortex SPARC AR is good to go, and you get Vortex’s no questions asked warranty:

Primary arms frequently has sales too.

Depends upon what you’re doing with it. I’ve got Trijicons on my carry guns and a couple of my comp guns. Just put C&h precision comp models as offset dots on two of my scoped ars and very happy with them. About half the price of trijicons.

I have burris fastfires on a couple of my 22’s, rifles and pistols and they’re fine.

RMR.

Suck it up.

Just bought another to go on a new pistol

ETA: unless it’s a range toy, please buy a quality one.

If it’s a toy, put a toy optic on it if you want.

I was trying to give general advice.

Buy once cry once.

I’d prefer if you have one range toy, make it the best one you can.

I think the RMR’s selling point is its reliability. But it’s not the best performing red dot. Many others are superior in various ways but not necessarily as reliable. So I don’t think there’s a need for an RMR as a range toy.

Just like the ACOG. Great, super reliable combat optic. Best optic for a range toy? Probably not. You can find others that aren’t bomb proof but that have better field of view, variable magnification, better eye relief, etc. those would make better range toys, and also happen to be a fraction of the price.

I think the RMR’s selling point is its reliability. But it’s not the best performing red dot. Many others are superior in various ways but not necessarily as reliable. So I don’t think there’s a need for an RMR as a range toy.

Just like the ACOG. Great, super reliable combat optic. Best optic for a range toy? Probably not. You can find others that aren’t bomb proof but that have better field of view, variable magnification, better eye relief, etc. those would make better range toys, and also happen to be a fraction of the price.
Most glass will look shittier than an acog, so there's that.

It all depends on what you can tolerate like as an example I had a 308 rifle that was basically a range toy but I got rid of it because the scope on it was garbage and I couldn't really enjoy the rifle with the cheap scope that was on it running the gun was a struggle. I mean there are some cheap red dots that will work fine but it's like there's no reason why he can't just slap a holosun or romeo etc on his gun and be done with it

Honestly, I wouldn’t go with an RMR for a pistol red dot on a range gun.

Holosuns are arguably just as durable (they just don’t have as much track record), they don’t have as much notch filter/blue tint, and you can replace the battery without removing the optic.

If I were looking to spend Trijicon money on a range pistol, I’d be looking at the SRO rather than the RMR.

What would you choose over an RMR?

I have a slight astigmatism. The dot it pretty round. The battery lasts over a year. It’s adjustable for brightness and most every company has a plate for one.

If you have a better one, I’m all for it.

Please do tell and lay out the reasons. I’d love a cheaper/better option

Most glass will look shittier than an acog, so there's that.

I mean there are some cheap red dots that will work fine but it's like there's no reason why he can't just slap a holosun or romeo etc on his gun and be done with it

I like ACOG glass for clarity and brightness, it’s eye relief that is really bad.

But, ya no reason to go RMR over Holosun or Romeo (I personally don’t like the Romeo, but still it’s fine for a range toy)

I like ACOG glass for clarity and brightness, it’s eye relief that is really bad.

But, ya no reason to go RMR over Holosun or Romeo (I personally don’t like the Romeo, but still it’s fine for a range toy)
The ACOG is a rifle optic. I thought we were doing pistol optics since the op mentioned iron sights.

I’m lost…

I forgot all about the AEMS! I'm trying out a vortex spitfire but I think I may end up with a red dot and magnifier. Also I picked up one of those vortex opmod red/green dots for $123. Seems like a decent aimpoint rip off.

What would you choose over an RMR?

I have a slight astigmatism. The dot it pretty round. The battery lasts over a year. It’s adjustable for brightness and most every company has a plate for one.

If you have a better one, I’m all for it.

Please do tell and lay out the reasons. I’d love a cheaper/better option

Sure, I’ll say that the holosun 507c would be a better option for a range toy. Here are my reasons:

Less tint
Less distortion
Greater variety of reticle options built in
Less expensive

To me, those are pretty big advantages over the RMR for a range toy

Back
Top Bottom