Affordable Red Dot

Define affordable.
Define your intended use.

I know proper communication is a challenge with gun owners, but letting people what you want to do will narrow it down.

Otherwise you will get people mentioning every damn red dot in the market based on what they like or assume you might like.
Define affordable.
Cheaper than one of your wife's gucci handbags.

pew-pew no miss.

16 or 10 MOA is the way to go.

You tried mine, you know you like it.

F*ck the 2 MOA Dots. NES can barely hit a paper target 20 yards away, you motherf*ckers are not sniping sh*t with your poor handgun skills.

16 or 10 MOA for the win.

"But Broc, if 16 MOA is so good, why aren't there more companies offering them?" ... great question. Because the market is retarded, so that is what they cater to.
For steel challenges and plates, yup.

It was a good call

I need to look for a replacement (bigger) module for my c-more.

@Broc, which size did you go with again? Was it the 16?

For steel challenges and plates, yup.

It was a good call

I need to look for a replacement (bigger) module for my c-more.

For handguns, it is superior for everything except maybe some competitions that need extreme accuracy. But that is like 1% of NES.

Define affordable.
Cheaper than one of your wife's gucci handbags.

pew-pew no miss.

Alright, so basically every dot dot you can buy for a handgun fits that.

Purses are expensive AF.

For handguns, it is superior for everything except maybe some competitions that need extreme accuracy. But that is like 1% of NES.

Having used huge dots on and off I think theres a law of diminishinig returns. Like I used to shoot pins with a trashco pro point which was like 5 moa. but I had no problem picking that dot up on the reg, either. We had two or three guys on the fat dot crew though. [rofl] One reason I never went the fat dot route is the cmore fanboi crew was always having to change their batteries, those dots ate those weird f***ing 1/3N batteries like a dog eating kibble, although I bet current models are better and more efficient now.

Having used huge dots on and off I think theres a law of diminishinig returns. Like I used to shoot pins with a trashco pro point which was like 5 moa. but I had no problem picking that dot up on the reg, either. We had two or three guys on the fat dot crew though. [rofl] One reason I never went the fat dot route is the cmore fanboi crew was always having to change their batteries, those dots ate those weird f***ing 1/3N batteries like a dog eating kibble, although I bet current models are better and more efficient now.

The big dot problem is only Cmore seems to offer those and Cmore is not a good "carry" sight. They are fine for competition. Even for the casual user I wouldnt recommend a Cmore because you cant really treat them like sh*t. Although the smaller RS (whatever it is called) seems to be pretty tough. I have one on the .460.

I believe I have seen one or two companies out there offer a 10 MOA (or bigger). But they are rare because the market reason I explained in my earlier post.

As far as the Cmore batteries, they last, if you turn them off.

16 or 10 MOA is the way to go.

You tried mine, you know you like it.

F*ck the 2 MOA Dots. NES can barely hit a paper target 20 yards away, you motherf*ckers are not sniping sh*t with your poor handgun skills.

16 or 10 MOA for the win.

"But Broc, if 16 MOA is so good, why aren't there more companies offering them?" ... great question. Because the market is retarded, so that is what they cater to.

Small dots for life.

+1 for Pinty. I have two. Both are on 458 SOCOM's and I haven't killed them yet. When I do, I'll be out ~$7 each. [laugh]

Spend an extra hundred anywhere else to avoid optics planet.

Lots of hate for OP here on NES but I’ve had great luck with them lately. Picked up a MRO, Midwest industries mount, two surefire turbo scouts and a couple blue force slings in past month and all shipped out immediately, arrived fast @ prices nobody else could touch. Their chatbots throw discounts around like candy and shipping is always free.

Spend an extra hundred anywhere else to avoid optics planet.
I have never had the issues others have had. I have bought a lot of parts from them over the last 2 years. The only issue I have had was I used a code for 2-day delivery, but it took 3 days to ship it. Once it shipped, i received it in 2 days, so i guess they honored the code.

Them switching from FedEx to DHL does suck. DHL blows.

As I have gotten older iron sights just don't cut it anymore. Some Red Dots are more than the price of the firearm you put it on. I do not carry for a living. I am just a range shooter. I understand you get what you pay for but does anyone have any experience with some of the more inexpensive Red Dots that will suffice for the ranger?

@Sam P

You've got three pages of fairly typical NES responses so far, some very good advice and some silliness.

If you want more specific help, it might help to define more specifically what you're shooting, what you're shooting at, and what your goals and budget are.

For example, I have a Ruger GP100, (.38/.357), that I primarily shoot bowling pins with I've got a Burris FastFire III on it and it's perfect for that app. I have the same Burris FastFires on (2) 1022's and a Browning BuckMark. They're relatively cheap, decent optic and haven't given me any trouble.

I've got a Glock G34 with a Trijicon SRO on it that I shoot IDPA/USPSA/SteelChallenge/2Gun with. I'm fairly competitive in a couple of those, and want a very reliable dot that will stand up to tens of thousands of rounds - because that's what I put through that gun.

My carry G31 has a Trijicon RMR on it because it absolutely can't fail; (and yet I've got a front sight and a mark on the rear just in case).

I've got a couple scoped AR15's with C&H Precision Comp model red dots mounted on offsets. They're very much like the Trijicon SRO's, with a couple nice enhancements - battery cap on top and shake-awake, but about half the cost.

"range toy" has different meanings to different people.

I like ACOG glass for clarity and brightness, it’s eye relief that is really bad.

But, ya no reason to go RMR over Holosun or Romeo (I personally don’t like the Romeo, but still it’s fine for a range toy)
The eye relief on a TA44 acog is like 12+ inches

Definitely check one out when you can. It's a fantastic optic.

I’ve actually been really curious about it. I’ve been wondering why go with 1.5X instead of just 1. It doesn’t seem to buy you much magnification and it seems to mess up the true 1X benefits. But, like you also are saying, it gets amazing reviews. I’d love to try one.

I’ve actually been really curious about it. I’ve been wondering why go with 1.5X instead of just 1. It doesn’t seem to buy you much magnification and it seems to mess up the true 1X benefits. But, like you also are saying, it gets amazing reviews. I’d love to try one.
I’m a fan of 1x as at low mag I can have both eyes open.

All my ar magnified optics are 1x plus or 1x red dots.

You can use 2 eyes with 1.5. It's a little weird at 1st but not an issue. The magnification level is actually really cool even though it sounds lame.

Heres my AUG with one on it
AUGta44.png

You can use 2 eyes with 1.5. It's a little weird at 1st but not an issue. The magnification level is actually really cool even though it sounds lame.
Nah. While I’ll trust you, I’ll stick with 1x as ive been doing it forever.

And I’ve done well shooting at 300 yards with just a red dot.

I like my guns simple and my woman complex. lol.

Pew Pew Tactical usually does some decent reviews and testing.

I was very curious about that one. What’s the 12x like with only a 24mm objective lens? Is it dark or extremely tight eyebox?

I like it. I just picked it up last week, taken it to the range a couple times since.

I had/have a 1-6 Vortex Venom with an 45 offset C&H Comp. It's a nice setup, lighter than the 2-12, but I need more magnification for a match I'm shooting in a couple weeks. I used the 1-6 last year for this match, and I was fine at the shorter ranges but did poorly on the movers at 400.

So I moved that setup to one of my other AR's and put this one on my competition gun. To address your original question - is is NOT dark, nor does it have an extremely tight eyebox. I have a fairly consistent cheekweld, I set the scope up carefully, and I've had no issues seeing through it. The zoom is smooth, so I can start at 2 or 3X, find the target, and zoom in without losing the target.

It has an adjustable parallax knob, which I have to remember to use, (the 1-6 doesn't).

I zero'd it at 50, shot it at 100, then took it to our 500 yard range. Consistent hits at 200 and 300, about 80% at 400 - that's me - I'm not very good with a rifle. I'm working on it, finally getting interested in rifles as well as pistols.

Back
Top Bottom