1-1/8" patch too big for .22?

Relatively noob question here...

I have a Ruger MkIII Hunter .22LR pistol.

After each session I've been cleaning the bore with a bore snake (and MPro7).

I have also purchased a JC Dewey 12" .22 coated one-piece cleaning rod, which comes with a matching brass jag. And I've purchased a bag of 1-1/8" square patches, which are marked as being for .17-.25 guns.

So today I decided to try using the cleaning rod, jag, and patches to see what kind of crud (if any) the bore snake is leaving behind. I tried this from the muzzle end (I'm under the impression it is, however, better to clean from the chamber end of the bore, like I do with the bore snake, but I didn't feel like taking the gun apart today).

What I discovered is that at least from the muzzle end, a 1.125" square patch over the jag simply will not fit down the bore. It'll start to go down, but will wedge at the point where the cloth starts to fold over itself (when the jag is about a half-inch into the bore). Am I right to be surprised at this? Would I have better luck if I were cleaning from the proper (chamber end) direction? Is it just a matter of cutting the patches down into disks (*sigh*)?

For patches, I buy 12 guage patches and cut them to size. I have found that this is better since I can use them for every gun I have. I also like to use them as mini-rags. I clean from chamber to muzzle.

It depends on the nature of the patch material, but in general .22 patches are 1/2 to 3/4 inches square.

A .22 bore should never be cleaned from the muzzle. In fact, a lot of folks (including me) don't clean .22 bores at all.

I used to really clean the bore of my S&W41 with patches, brushes, etc after every trip to the range. These days, I don't really clean the bore of my Hammerli at all as the thought of shoving a guide rod in there is too terrifying. I do push a long q tip through the bore soaked with CLP after I shoot to protect against rust though and that is it.

All firearms should be cleaned from the chamber towards the muzzle.

The most damage done to smallbore barrels is from the first few rounds fired through a dirty bore. The residue acts like sand paper when fired.

Sometimes you MUST clean from the muzzle. Examples are M1's, M14's, 94 Winchesters and some 22's.

I strongly recommend using a bore guide whether from the breech or especially from the muzzle. Not many faster ways to ruin the barrel than not using a guide.

Nickle,

How about using coated or brass rods?

Some guns (e.g. my two old High Standard .22s come to mind) are a bear to push that plunger back to release the barrel. So doing it every time is not a desirable task. Back in the day I actually shot them, I had no choice but to use an aluminum rod for cleaning, muzzle to breach each time. Now I have the pull-thrus that will work great for the task the proper way.

But I ask generally on the coated or brass rods, for everyone's benefit.

You can clean M1's, and the like, using a Boresnake or similar pull-through method. Another quick way to screw up accuracy is to nick the crown while you're shoving a jag into the muzzle.

I don't care what you make the rod from or if it's coated, it still can cause wear. The coating or metal does pick up abrasive material. I went from Dewey coated rods to Stainless Steel. I use Bore Guides.

Tony, I don't find the BoreSnake to work for me. I use a guide and am EXTREMELY careful. The BoreSnake just won't get the heavy duty stuff done. You can argue it, but reality is on my side. Of course, I'm not your typical M1 owner, either. I actually shoot mine. A lot harder to get the copper fouling out after you've put a few hundred rounds through it in a day. THat's when a BoreSnake won't get it done. Nicking the crown is worse than muzzle wear, in my opinion.

I can usually tell the M1 guys when they come to buy ammo. When they splurge, they buy 2 boxes, not just one.

The M14/FAL/AR/AK guys ask if I can give them a break on a case.

We actually do give a break at shows for buying 5 boxes of ammo (other than ours). We do "Big Box" specials, 100 or 250 rounds on some of the stuff we make. In rifle ammo, that's usually 30-06, 270 Win and 30 Carbine. Sometimes 308 FMJ or 223 FMJ.

Back
Top Bottom