10/22 - Yes, another one!

Well, I've got the first 10/22 build completed for distance shooting with the 20" Stianless Bull Barrel and Volquartsen goodies in it. I figured, what better than to build a shorter range 10/22, maybe even for Appleseed. Here is how it started:

DSC01682.jpg

Here is what's going in:

Hawktech Arms Predator Raptor in Atomic Red
atomic2up.jpg

Internals:

Power Custom Hammer
Power Custom Sear
Power Custom Competition Bolt Handle
Power Custom Titanium Firing Pin
Tactical Solutions Black Extended Mag Release
Tuffer Buffer Bolt Buffer
Volquartsen Socket Head Takedown Screw
Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor
Volquartsen Blue 10/22 Bolt Release
Ruger Factory Bolt, Blued, Stripped

Scope/Mount:

Mueller APV w/ Sunshade
DNZ Products Game Reaper 1 piece low scope mount - Matte Black

Barrel:

16.5" Tactical Solutions Fluted Bull Barrel - Matte Black

Pretty much, whatever isn't red(the stock), is going to be black. I've got a super nice vintage 10/22 to build off, with the sought after metal trigger group and all. I'll keep this one for 50 yard duty and use the other one for 100 yard duty. I'll update the thread with pics as parts arrive.

me too, i saw that stock and said wow, that's wild, gotta have it. I'm hoping this rifle is done within a week to bring to the NES shoot. We'll see. If not, the SBR will just have to suffice.[rofl]

Just curious. I have one and I shoot LH. Some day I may get a sweet stock like that. Just haven't looked around yet. I am a 10/22 virgin still.

Here's the stock after 2 coats of poly. The final piece is going to be 6-8 coats depending on time. I've bought some wet sanding paper to really smooth it out, but I don't suspect I'll need it too much.

DSC01694.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

wood gives me wood. [smile]

all projects are on hold for me... looking to plus up my ammo for the next couple months, in light of my .308 acquisition. next purchase or project will be a savage in .22 or .17 hmr. when the time comes, i may or may NOT decide to go with an AR 10/22, depending on the budget.

I love the stock, its the same one I used on my 10/22 just in a different color. The red will look awesome! When its completed we should take the twins to the range [grin]

Nice, pics of the completed build? I'm always down for going to the range. Curious, did you need to steel wool and poly your stock? I did, I wasn't impressed with the finish at all.

Nice, pics of the completed build? I'm always down for going to the range. Curious, did you need to steel wool and poly your stock? I did, I wasn't impressed with the finish at all.

Yeah that is the completed build because I joined these forums after I had built it. And yeah I did use steel wool to clean it up. When I did it I made sure to use the steel wool after every coat which is I'm sure what you are doing too. Just be sure not to put too much force into it because that will definitely scuff up the finish and make it not so uniform.

Can't wait to see your finished new toy [grin]

Dan

All in the eyes of the beholder. The factory 10/22 has got to be the ugliest gun made. There isn't a thing good to say about it. From the crap contoured barrel, to the cheap ass birch stock, to the now polymer barrel band and trigger group. Absolute junk. This 10/22 was vintage 1980, an ideal candidate for this build.

I think you misunderstand - I have several "ugly" guns I'd like to think as misused tack drivers (I blame the operator).

The thing you're building is pretty dayum, well pretty - form follows function and damn closely in your case. I wouldn't build one but I appreciate what you're doing - same as a well done ricer thingie or a chopper or a vintage lead sled...not my thing but good work should be admired/appreciated.

I think you misunderstand - I have several "ugly" guns I'd like to think as misused tack drivers (I blame the operator).

The thing you're building is pretty dayum, well pretty - form follows function and damn closely in your case. I wouldn't build one but I appreciate what you're doing - same as a well done ricer thingie or a chopper or a vintage lead sled...not my thing but good work should be admired/appreciated.

build a 10/22 in tacticool or sniper theme first, then shoot it, before you comment.

trust me (us) - it's a lot of fun and the accuracy is ta ta's. [smile]

if not, what is your cup of tea?

Sprocket, how's your 10/22 setup? and I'm a bit confused about your post, form follows function, then you follow up with comparing it to a well done "ricer thingy." How does a light weight stock, target grip, cheek rest and nice foregrip not fall into function?

form follows function = It must work before it looks good

and damn closely = pretty much a draw between looks and function

I've been hanging around too many architectural types...

my 10/22 is described in the "LTR Myths" post - mostly just trigger work after changing out the stock for a better fit and tacticool sights (both back before tacticool was a word)

I'm not trying to insult you here, just compliment the work. Guess I'm doing a shitty job so I'll say it this way:
Nice rig - post up a target when it's done.

If I did one of those builds like yours I'd start with a factory laminated stock for a bull barrel and go from there - been thinking about it but I have 5 .22's and don't really need another one so the project is on hold.

As for what my thing is, I'm going the other way - low tech - I've got a pre WWII single shot bolt gun with iron sights that needs a re-blue and stock work badly. I don't plan on changing a thing for fear of removing the mojo in the old hunting piece, it's dead nuts on and keeps running.

Good luck, keep the progress coming

Awesome Squished!! Looks kinda like mine: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=985375&postcount=49 [smile]

Can't wait to see the finished product, interested in your reviews on the Power Custom parts.

I already have some power custom parts in my other 10/22, amazing stuff. That's why I went with them instead of Volquartsen for the major internals. Their extended bolt release has got to be the most comfortable on the market.

form follows function = It must work before it looks good

and damn closely = pretty much a draw between looks and function

I've been hanging around too many architectural types...

my 10/22 is described in the "LTR Myths" post - mostly just trigger work after changing out the stock for a better fit and tacticool sights (both back before tacticool was a word)

I'm not trying to insult you here, just compliment the work. Guess I'm doing a shitty job so I'll say it this way:
Nice rig - post up a target when it's done.

If I did one of those builds like yours I'd start with a factory laminated stock for a bull barrel and go from there - been thinking about it but I have 5 .22's and don't really need another one so the project is on hold.

As for what my thing is, I'm going the other way - low tech - I've got a pre WWII single shot bolt gun with iron sights that needs a re-blue and stock work badly. I don't plan on changing a thing for fear of removing the mojo in the old hunting piece, it's dead nuts on and keeps running.

Good luck, keep the progress coming
With the availability of aftermarket stocks for the 10/22, the last thing to keep would be the factory laminated stock. It's all too obvious the 10/22 is mass produced, which is fine due to the size of the aftermarket. Companies like Boyds, Fajen, Gatewood, Predator and others all make amazing aftermarket wood.

Curious, have you shot a 10/22 with a thumbrest? It's really an amazing difference. You should give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom