• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10.5" Upper AR Pistol in MA (with FML)

bender73

NES Member
Question. If I get a Fixed Mag Lower from DSI can I legally order a 10.5" upper online and ship it to MA? Add it to my legal lower that is technically not subject to the AWB? Put an 'arm brace' stock on and make sure to avoid any pistol grip on the forward upper? Then register it as a pistol? Is this the legal process in MA? Am I missing something here? The arm brace makes this not a SBR, correct? Thanks!

Question. If I get a Fixed Mag Lower from DSI can I legally order a 10.5" upper online and ship it to MA? Add it to my legal lower that is technically not subject to the AWB? Put an 'arm brace' stock on and make sure to avoid any pistol grip on the forward upper? Then register it as a pistol? Is this the legal process in MA? Am I missing something here? The arm brace makes this not a SBR, correct? Thanks!
What you have described is a process for building an AR pistol in MA, yes.

Question. If I get a Fixed Mag Lower from DSI can I legally order a 10.5" upper online and ship it to MA? Add it to my legal lower that is technically not subject to the AWB?
You should know that the DSI fixed mag lower isn’t legally tested here in MA. The only fixed mag solution that has some sort of legal validity here is the JC Arms fixed mag lower.

Assuming the DSI lower is legally sound, yes all of that is fine.
Put an 'arm brace' stock on and make sure to avoid any pistol grip on the forward upper? Then register it as a pistol? Is this the legal process in MA? Am I missing something here? The arm brace makes this not a SBR, correct? Thanks!
The ATF’s new pistol brace rule says that pistol braces do in fact make AR pistols into SBRs. However, the rule is currently enjoined from being enforced by the ATF against FPC, GOA & SAF members through various lawsuits. If you’re a member of one of these organizations, you can ignore the new rule. If you’re not (just sign up already) you have to follow it.

The Thordsen buffer tube cover has a cheek rest and letter of approval from the ATF.
So did most of the pistol brace manufacturers. Letters of approval don’t mean shit anymore. The ATF said pistol braces were approved and 100% legal for several years, then they changed course and said pistol braces were not cool anymore.

If it increases the rear surface area such that it could enhance or facilitate shouldering, it is a no-go.

So did most of the pistol brace manufacturers. Letters of approval don’t mean shit anymore. The ATF said pistol braces were approved and 100% legal for several years, then they changed course and said pistol braces were not cool anymore.

If it increases the rear surface area such that it could enhance or facilitate shouldering, it is a no-go.
lovely well they can piss off

Would a fixed mag lower allow for evil features? stock and threaded barrel or flash hider?
Yes it would for the threaded barrel and flash hider. Putting a stock on a pistol makes it an SBR, regardless of the fact it’s fixed mag. That’s a fed thing, not MA thing.

I joined GOA just now. So can I order a 10.5 barrel, fixed mag 10, and pistol stock brace and build away in 100% legal compliance with this upper? DD AR-15 .223 Wylde Sacrosanct .223 Wylde Upper Build Kit
First of all, you called it a “pistol stock brace.” There’s no such thing. You have to remember that there’s a difference between a brace and a stock. A stock is used for shouldering the gun, which would make your gun a rifle (or short-barreled rifle if barrel length is less than 16 inches). A brace stabilizes the gun to allow you to shoot it with one hand. Shouldering a brace as if it were a stock was still a no-go even before the recent ATF pistol brace switch up.

With all of that being said, yes you can execute this game plan of yours, provided that it actually is a legal fixed mag lower. I do want to reiterate though that the DSI fixed mag lower you mentioned earlier in this thread is NOT 100% legally approved here in MA. I know the marketing for it says otherwise, but marketing doesn’t mean shit. If you want to go fixed mag, I’d recommend getting a JC Arms lower. If you want to roll the legal dice on a DSI lower, feel free to do so.

You can also forget the “brace” baloney and use the buffer tube as a cheek rest for a cheek pistol. Look at Demonstrated Concepts on YouTube.

However, the rule is currently enjoined from being enforced by the ATF against FPC, GOA & SAF members through various lawsuits. If you’re a member of one of these organizations, you can ignore the new rule. If you’re not (just sign up already) you have to follow it.
Update: a nationwide preliminary injunction has been issued against the pistol brace rule thanks to a federal district judge in Texas.

Update: a nationwide preliminary injunction has been issued against the pistol brace rule thanks to a federal district judge in Texas.

GOA, SAF and FPC all have injunctions currently issued against the pistol brace rule.
Joining any/all of them is short money and makes you "legal" for the time being.

Because I'm a "belt and suspenders" type of guy, (except for actual belt/suspenders), I joined all three when this nonsense started.

FPC - 30$ 1 year membership
SAF - 15$ 1 year membership, 50$ 5 year membership
GOA - 25$ 1 year membership

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but didn't the GOA, SAF, and FPC exceptions require one to be a member at the time of the injunction? As in joining later doesn't apply? Any legal ruling on this?

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but didn't the GOA, SAF, and FPC exceptions require one to be a member at the time of the injunction? As in joining later doesn't apply? Any legal ruling on this?

While the FPC and GOA would not disclose specific membership numbers or how many new members they’ve gained since the rulings, both groups have been active on social media indicating their membership numbers have risen.

“We are excited to have so many new members and look forward to aggressively destroying the Disarmament Regime’s agenda with each and every one of you,” the group tweeted on May 31st.

FPC even recently restructured its membership options to accommodate all the additions. It contends all members, new or old, will be covered by the injunction.

“We read the order to mean that the injunction applies to all FPC members since we have always represented all of our members in this case, not a subset of members,” the group tweeted on May 26.

GOA vice president Erich Pratt said the injunction his group received will cover millions of people.

“GOA and our millions of members nationwide will continue to fight back against this rogue anti-gun administration at every turn in defense of our rights,” he tweeted last week.

Source: Gun Group Membership Surges in Wake of Pistol-Brace Ban Injunctions

NEW ORLEANS, LA (May 26, 2023) — Today, Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) released a statement on the Fifth Circuit’s Order clarifying that the Injunction Pending Appeal in Mock v. Garland applies to FPC’s members, Maxim Defense’s customers, and the individual plaintiffs’ resident family members. The order, along with other case documents, can be viewed at FPCLaw.org.

Source: Fifth Circuit Clarifies that its Injunction Against ATF Pistol Brace Rule Covers FPC’s Members

BELLEVUE, WA – A federal judge has clarified the scope of an injunction in a Second Amendment Foundation challenge to the Biden administration’s new “Arm Brace Rule.” The case is known as SAF, et.al. v. ATF, et. al.

SAF is joined in the case by Rainier Arms, LLC and two private citizens, Samuel Walley and William Green. They are represented by attorney Chad Flores at Flores Law in Houston, Texas.

In her prior order granting the preliminary injunction, U.S. District Judge Jane J. Boyle wrote, “The Court grants in part the Motion and issues a preliminary injunction as to Plaintiffs in this case only,” leaving a question as to whether the injunction applied to members of SAF. Late yesterday, SAF filed a motion to clarify the scope of the injunction. Today, Judge Boyle clarified the prior order with a new order and in a docket entry which stated, “The Court confirms that its Preliminary Injunction Order applies to both the Second Amendment Foundation, Inc. and its members.”

“SAF has received numerous inquiries from individuals as to whether the injunction covered our members,” said SAF Executive Director Adam Kraut. “Our attorney had attempted to reach an understanding with the government as to the scope of the injunction and coverage of our members. When it became apparent that the parties were not seeing eye to eye on the matter, despite the 5th Circuit’s clarification in another case on this exact point, we asked the court for clarification. We are pleased to see that Judge Boyle agrees with our interpretation and that our members are indeed protected under this injunction.”
Source: FEDERAL JUDGE CLARIFIES SAF MEMBERS PROTECTED BY PISTOL BRACE INJUNCTION - Second Amendment Foundation

Last, but certainly not least:
But another case, Britto v. ATF, which challenges the BATFE rule under the Administrative Procedures Act, has expanded those protected from enforcement. Instead of issuing a temporary hold on enforcement against just those who sued, yesterday US District Judge Matthew Kaczmaryk put enforcement of the rule on ice nationwide.

That means that everyone, whether they’re members of a plaintiff organization or not, is now free to own and use a pistol brace without concern for government thugs enforcing an unconstitutional ban under color of law.

Source: US District Court Judge Issues Nationwide Injunction Blocking Pistol Brace Ban Enforcement - The Truth About Guns

I'm NOT an attorney, and I really don't want to become a felon-in-waiting unintentionally; so I joined all three organizations.

While the FPC and GOA would not disclose specific membership numbers or how many new members they’ve gained since the rulings, both groups have been active on social media indicating their membership numbers have risen.

“We are excited to have so many new members and look forward to aggressively destroying the Disarmament Regime’s agenda with each and every one of you,” the group tweeted on May 31st.

FPC even recently restructured its membership options to accommodate all the additions. It contends all members, new or old, will be covered by the injunction.

“We read the order to mean that the injunction applies to all FPC members since we have always represented all of our members in this case, not a subset of members,” the group tweeted on May 26.

GOA vice president Erich Pratt said the injunction his group received will cover millions of people.

“GOA and our millions of members nationwide will continue to fight back against this rogue anti-gun administration at every turn in defense of our rights,” he tweeted last week.

Source: Gun Group Membership Surges in Wake of Pistol-Brace Ban Injunctions

NEW ORLEANS, LA (May 26, 2023) — Today, Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) released a statement on the Fifth Circuit’s Order clarifying that the Injunction Pending Appeal in Mock v. Garland applies to FPC’s members, Maxim Defense’s customers, and the individual plaintiffs’ resident family members. The order, along with other case documents, can be viewed at FPCLaw.org.

Source: Fifth Circuit Clarifies that its Injunction Against ATF Pistol Brace Rule Covers FPC’s Members

BELLEVUE, WA – A federal judge has clarified the scope of an injunction in a Second Amendment Foundation challenge to the Biden administration’s new “Arm Brace Rule.” The case is known as SAF, et.al. v. ATF, et. al.

SAF is joined in the case by Rainier Arms, LLC and two private citizens, Samuel Walley and William Green. They are represented by attorney Chad Flores at Flores Law in Houston, Texas.

In her prior order granting the preliminary injunction, U.S. District Judge Jane J. Boyle wrote, “The Court grants in part the Motion and issues a preliminary injunction as to Plaintiffs in this case only,” leaving a question as to whether the injunction applied to members of SAF. Late yesterday, SAF filed a motion to clarify the scope of the injunction. Today, Judge Boyle clarified the prior order with a new order and in a docket entry which stated, “The Court confirms that its Preliminary Injunction Order applies to both the Second Amendment Foundation, Inc. and its members.”

“SAF has received numerous inquiries from individuals as to whether the injunction covered our members,” said SAF Executive Director Adam Kraut. “Our attorney had attempted to reach an understanding with the government as to the scope of the injunction and coverage of our members. When it became apparent that the parties were not seeing eye to eye on the matter, despite the 5th Circuit’s clarification in another case on this exact point, we asked the court for clarification. We are pleased to see that Judge Boyle agrees with our interpretation and that our members are indeed protected under this injunction.”
Source: FEDERAL JUDGE CLARIFIES SAF MEMBERS PROTECTED BY PISTOL BRACE INJUNCTION - Second Amendment Foundation

Last, but certainly not least:
But another case, Britto v. ATF, which challenges the BATFE rule under the Administrative Procedures Act, has expanded those protected from enforcement. Instead of issuing a temporary hold on enforcement against just those who sued, yesterday US District Judge Matthew Kaczmaryk put enforcement of the rule on ice nationwide.

That means that everyone, whether they’re members of a plaintiff organization or not, is now free to own and use a pistol brace without concern for government thugs enforcing an unconstitutional ban under color of law.

Source: US District Court Judge Issues Nationwide Injunction Blocking Pistol Brace Ban Enforcement - The Truth About Guns

I'm NOT an attorney, and I really don't want to become a felon-in-waiting unintentionally; so I joined all three organizations.
Thanks! It looks like Britto vs. ATF covers everyone. The FPC etc. coverage is a little fuzzy since the judges say members are covered and it is the organizations stating new members are covered, not the judges. No matter, given the Britto ruling.

While I have the approved form 1 for a SBR, I still see the value in a brace (outside of Mass) as that doesn't come with the ATF restrictions. Fixed mag AR pistols are PITA if you ever get a jam.

FPC was saying that membership post-injunction was still valid back when it was originally announced.

So here's an additional question I've been curious about that's related.

Can you have a fixed mag lower that's a pre ban 30 round magazine(externally dated)?

If no to the above, can you go the 10 round fixed, can you have an adjustable brace/stock no pin and weld?

Can you have a fixed mag lower that's a pre ban 30 round magazine(externally dated)?

If no to the above, can you go the 10 round fixed, can you have an adjustable brace/stock no pin and weld?

No to the 30. This is considered “new” when you make it as part of the firearm (can’t find a reference at the moment).

Yes to the fun features. The semi auto with detachable magazine is the key to kick off the features test. No detachable magazine or not semi auto means it can’t be an assault weapon in MA.

Note on the stocked configuration that barrel length still applies...

Back
Top Bottom