12 Gauge Kicked My A$@

I could shoot the Wolf Surplus birdshot out of my Saiga with no issue, but Remington Slugger kicked my ass. Is your Saiga still the stock configuration?
Yes, completely stock except the barrel is 18 1/4" because the gun shop needlessly cut off my threads.

I'm not a sport shotgunner, but I do have to qualify periodically with an 18" 12-ga pump riot gun (this one happens to be a stainless Winchester M1200). I confess this is not the most pleasant gun to shoot, and the result is I only shoot it for qualification and maybe a dozen rounds the week beforehand to be sure I still can qualify.

In addition to the recoil pad:

A) I tried plastic stocks but put the wood ones back on for the added weight.

B) As someone said, pull the gun tight into you shoulder and be sure your cheek is welded to the cheekpiece.

C) Lean into the shot, the way the skeet shooters do.

We shoot 2-3/4 shells, both 1 oz slugs and 00 buck. The techniques I've described do not convert this into a pleasant piece to shoot, but they have eliminated bruising and flinching.

Reconsider how you are holding the gun as well. The position of the gun makes all the difference in how much it hurts or bruises.

After finding the 'sweet spot' on my shoulder, it doesn't really hurt much at all. 1/2 inch either way though and I'll be sore in the morning.

+1 -I think this is what Blitz1 has on his 12 and it's amazing. Less kick then a .308

Yes it is Bob. I would highly recomend it, and yes the Socom has more bite to it than the Mossy with that stock.

I'm not sure if they make it for the OP's model. I think just Mossberg and Remington, I could be wrong though.

You'll need to keep an eye on that bruise for a couple of days. If it is very painful to the touch and is red like a blood blister, you need to see your doctor. After shooting a number of 3" magnum loads out of my mossberg 500A, I ended up with the above issue. I went to the doctors after a few days and after an xray I was informed I had fractured this little bone in my shoulder that attaches to the tendons in my arm. Nothing to do for it except resting the arm and no shooting for 4 months with it. Learned how to shoot my handguns offhand during that time. Good Luck

Pump guns hurt when shooting slugs. Even with a good stock and shoulder pad. Sighting in a pump gun for hunting season is the worst.

That's for sure. I tried this myself a few years ago with a rifled barrel on an 870. After three shots from the bench, I said "screw this" and went back to shooting the .308

Reconsider how you are holding the gun as well. The position of the gun makes all the difference in how much it hurts or bruises.

That's what made the difference. Shooting from a bench puts the stock in a position higher on your shoulder, and at a different intersecting angle, that it does when standing because you're hunched over while sitting. Shooting from a standing position, although still not pleasant with slugs, makes a big difference in the felt recoil.

I have been hunting with 37's for 30 years. A good recoil pad is a must and hold'em tight!

I hope you got it sighted in with20 slugs!! That does sound like a workout. I shoot 2-3 at the most before each season and my old gun is dead on at 75 yds with open sights. "Stay fresh in the field - Carry an Ithaca.."

Pick up a Saiga-12, I shot about 50 slugs out of mine at the Pumpkin Shoot and another 200rds of birdshot with no bruising or soreness what-so-ever [wink]

When you asked if I wanted to shoot the Saiga all I could think of was the video game and had no idea it is a kick ass 12ga.

Can I please try it out at next shoot? [smile]

You'll need to keep an eye on that bruise for a couple of days. If it is very painful to the touch and is red like a blood blister, you need to see your doctor. After shooting a number of 3" magnum loads out of my mossberg 500A, I ended up with the above issue. I went to the doctors after a few days and after an xray I was informed I had fractured this little bone in my shoulder that attaches to the tendons in my arm. Nothing to do for it except resting the arm and no shooting for 4 months with it. Learned how to shoot my handguns offhand during that time. Good Luck

I guess it could be worse and I am glad to hear I am not the only one that's gotten my ass kicked. Bruise is healing up. If I am lucky enough to shoot at a deer this Saturday it is going to hurt like a bitch though.

Rockriv, did you hear about the hunting incident behind your house yesterday?

When you asked if I wanted to shoot the Saiga all I could think of was the video game and had no idea it is a kick ass 12ga.

Can I please try it out at next shoot? [smile]
Hell, I want people to shoot this thing because it's so much fun. I was trying to see how many rounds it could take to foul up the gas tube, but nothing I shot at the Pumpkin Shoot could do it. And it shot 98% of the birdshot on setting 1 too!

I had shoulder surgery a few years ago, and haven't shot my shotgun yet since the surgery. Maybe I'll ask the doc if he thinks it is OK first. I imagine an 870 won't be as bad as a Featherlite Ithaca, but 12 ga slugs or buckshot are still 12 ga slugs or buckshot, even if they are not the magnum ones. Am I correct in that holding it tighter to the shoulder will reduce the impact and allow the whole body to recoil as opposed to the shoulder taking it all?

I had shoulder surgery a few years ago, and haven't shot my shotgun yet since the surgery. Maybe I'll ask the doc if he thinks it is OK first. I imagine an 870 won't be as bad as a Featherlite Ithaca, but 12 ga slugs or buckshot are still 12 ga slugs or buckshot, even if they are not the magnum ones. Am I correct in that holding it tighter to the shoulder will reduce the impact and allow the whole body to recoil as opposed to the shoulder taking it all?

Yes, and don't lean into it the way you would with a rifle. You don't want it leaping any gap and delivering a sudden shock, and you don't want to resist its push by leaning in. So snug it in close and don't "push it down range." The Knoxx SpecOps others have mentioned really reduces the felt recoil, too. From personal experience, I'd say the impact is reduced well below what you get even from a semi-auto.

The Knoxx SpecOps others have mentioned really reduces the felt recoil, too. From personal experience, I'd say the impact is reduced well below what you get even from a semi-auto.

I would agree with that. My Mossi with that stock seems to have less recoil that my Socom.

Back
Top Bottom